Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Physics with astrophysics and the requirements are A*AA/A*A*A, I am predicted A*AA so I thought Manchester would probably give me an offer of A*AA. After my interview the person who interviewed me told me I had done well and he was going to write a positive review about me. And then I check my offer and it's A*A*A. I seriously doubt I can get that. I can't think of a reason why the offer is so high, maybe my interview wasn't really that good, maybe it's extra competitive this year I really do not know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi_there_person)
    I applied for Physics with astrophysics and the requirements are A*AA/A*A*A, I am predicted A*AA so I thought Manchester would probably give me an offer of A*AA. After my interview the person who interviewed me told me I had done well and he was going to write a positive review about me. And then I check my offer and it's A*A*A. I seriously doubt I can get that. I can't think of a reason why the offer is so high, maybe my interview wasn't really that good, maybe it's extra competitive this year I really do not know.
    There's probably something you lacked such as a weak interview of previous academics but they didn't want to reject you so they gave you a high offer since they believe achieving those top grades will more than make up for other weaknesses.

It maybe due to competition or that they rarely give A*AA offers too. Either way there's not much you can do. You might still be accepted if you get A*AA but that's not something you can bet on.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The offer is nothing to do with your prediction. A*A*A can be a typical offer.

It's possible they might accept A*AA on Results Day, but there's no guarantees.

ReputationRep:
    The interview won’t have affected it; it’s there more to persuade people to come to Manchester over anything

It might have to do with you doing the ideal A Levels for the course, so they want to check you can get the highest grades possible in those subject areas.

As said above, A*A*A is a standard offer so there’s nothing that unusual with the offer you’ve received

I wouldn’t count too much on it but I think you’d still get accepted with A*AA–Manchester’s clearing grades were pretty low last year in STEM departments
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

It’s because of one man:

The great Brian Cox is a professor there

ReputationRep:
    do you go to a high achieving school?

ReputationRep:
    They're being real ********s. They gave me a higher offer as well, despite the fact that on the website the entry requirement is lower. There goes my insurance...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 12, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.