Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys . I am mega confused regarding my a level options. My potential options are maths, further maths , biology, chemistry, physics, history and german but I can find pros and cons for each of these. Would there be any good combinations of these to incorporate all of the reasons for the subjects? And which should I choose overall? I have no clear future plans!
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Well you first need think about why you want to do each subject ? Those are 6 heavy A levels in which you have chosen, have you thought about doing 4 alevels and having one of them as an AS?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itss_ana15)
    Well you first need think about why you want to do each subject ? Those are 6 heavy A levels in which you have chosen, have you thought about doing 4 alevels and having one of them as an AS?
    The OP was just saying that those are their potential options, not that they're going to take 6 A-levels.

(Original post by Eee900001)
    Hey guys . I am mega confused regarding my a level options. My potential options are maths, further maths , biology, chemistry, physics, history and german but I can find pros and cons for each of these. Would there be any good combinations of these to incorporate all of the reasons for the subjects? And which should I choose overall? I have no clear future plans!
    Thanks !
    Any combination of these would open doors. Do you have any subjects in particular that you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !
    Do you have a couple of potential courses you would choose? Say you could choose 3 courses at the same Uni to apply for, what would those theoretically be? You need to have a good idea of what to apply for otherwise you will come across as vague and unsure when you apply for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    The OP was just saying that those are their potential options, not that they're going to take 6 A-levels.

Any combination of these would open doors. Do you have any subjects in particular that you enjoy?
    I’m not sure about german especially because the a level course is not very appealing to me despite enjoying the subject. Physics is pretty much the opposite as I don’t particularly enjoy physics at the moment but the a level course looks very interesting. History Iam so of in the middle as i quite like it but sometimes find it slightly boring! I do really enjoy the subjects
    Ta !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Do you have a couple of potential courses you would choose? Say you could choose 3 courses at the same Uni to apply for, what would those theoretically be? You need to have a good idea of what to apply for otherwise you will come across as vague and unsure when you apply for Uni.
    thanks for that excellent advice !

ReputationRep:
    Which subject would you recommend for anyone out of german and history ?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Which subject would you recommend for anyone out of german and history ?? Thanks
    Which do you like more? They’re both useful in different ways. Essay subjects are a plus, but so is knowing a language that is useful on many different work fields. Choose the one you find more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Which do you like more? They’re both useful in different ways. Essay subjects are a plus, but so is knowing a language that is useful on many different work fields. Choose the one you find more enjoyable.
    Okay yeah I feel that history would be a more beneficial subject as am I right In thinking that german is something that I could learn in my free time so not that important as an a level? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Okay yeah I feel that history would be a more beneficial subject as am I right In thinking that german is something that I could learn in my free time so not that important as an a level? Thanks
    Yep you can definitely learn German in your free time. I did the GCSE and aced it and French, as I'm good at languages, but have not opted for it at A-Level this year. I will instead blog in German every few months.

ReputationRep:
    Take Further Maths, if you either:
    1) Want to do a Maths or Engineering or anything STEM-y degree
    2) Have a genuine passion for Maths

Most people who satisfy the first criterion will satisfy the second. FM is a heavy, heavy A Level, and will be all the more punishing if you don't have a positive mindset doing Maths.

Usually most people I know go with 2 sciences, I went with FM and 2 sciences (Physics and Chemistry), though I do know people who did FM and all 3. Generally I'd advise you to think about one or two.

Generally a language is good, if you wanna apply to a uni in a different country (i.e Germany) or do a Year Abroad there, idk about history though.

ReputationRep:
    Yep you can definitely learn German in your free time. I did the GCSE and aced it and French, as I'm good at languages, but have not opted for it at A-Level this year. I will instead blog in German every few months.
    Okay thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Take Further Maths, if you either:
    1) Want to do a Maths or Engineering or anything STEM-y degree
    2) Have a genuine passion for Maths

Most people who satisfy the first criterion will satisfy the second. FM is a heavy, heavy A Level, and will be all the more punishing if you don't have a positive mindset doing Maths.

Usually most people I know go with 2 sciences, I went with FM and 2 sciences (Physics and Chemistry), though I do know people who did FM and all 3. Generally I'd advise you to think about one or two.

Generally a language is good, if you wanna apply to a uni in a different country (i.e Germany) or do a Year Abroad there, idk about history though.
    Okay thank you. So would you say that a language is less useful if you don’t plan on studying abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Well I’m but bias as I love history and recommend it to anyone. But love languages, languages is something you can learn in your own time and if you want you can ask the school you take to put you down for the exam and do it in your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Maths, a Science and English and a social Science.

ReputationRep:
    Physics at A-level is so much more interesting than GCSE and is fun (although difficult). Maths is also the same and these together open a lot of doors e.g. Engineering, sciences, math related degrees etc. It would help if you knew vaguely what you wanted to do but I’d say most would give a wide array of options apart from maybe German as couldn’t you just teach yourself the language in your free time through the Internet, this would let you chose another subject. Good luck with your choices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badmathkid)
    I'd say Maths, a Science and English and a social Science.
    Okay , ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackFin)
    Physics at A-level is so much more interesting than GCSE and is fun (although difficult). Maths is also the same and these together open a lot of doors e.g. Engineering, sciences, math related degrees etc. It would help if you knew vaguely what you wanted to do but I’d say most would give a wide array of options apart from maybe German as couldn’t you just teach yourself the language in your free time through the Internet, this would let you chose another subject. Good luck with your choices!
    So you think not german ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well I’m but bias as I love history and recommend it to anyone. But love languages, languages is something you can learn in your own time and if you want you can ask the school you take to put you down for the exam and do it in your spare time.
    Okay so you view history as a better a level ?
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to study at uni?

just curious

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.