Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    They do an awful lot but they definitely don't have money to burn. They're being 'assisted' (controlled) by their neighbouring trust because they're in so much debt and their CQC ratings aren't great.
    Perhaps it’s because they have nonsensical policies like cannulating on the vague possibility that someone may need a scan. Not just any scan, but one with contrast.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Perhaps it’s because they have nonsensical policies like cannulating on the vague possibility that someone may need a scan. Not just any scan, but one with contrast.
    My thoughtsexactly, though it doesn't detract from the fact that it happens and it potentially happens in other trusts.

ReputationRep:
    Come and work in a certain trust in the South East with this policy and see how pernickety they are about it.
    This is going to make me sound a bit douchey, but I suspect they might be less pernickety with me (anaesthetics/ICU SpR) than an FY1 or a nurse.

As you can see from the responses in this thread from experienced nurses and doctors from a variety of areas around the country, this is not a widespread policy. In fact, as I said, my current trust actively opposes ACF cannulation! It's certainly not a reason to use that as your only or even main site for cannulas. Hands and forearms are easier once you have the knack, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    This is going to make me sound a bit douchey, but I suspect they might be less pernickety with me (anaesthetics/ICU SpR) than an FY1 or a nurse.

As you can see from the responses in this thread from experienced nurses and doctors from a variety of areas around the country, this is not a widespread policy. In fact, as I said, my current trust actively opposes ACF cannulation! It's certainly not a reason to use that as your only or even main site for cannulas. Hands and forearms are easier once you have the knack, IMO.
    It literally doesn't matter who you are, unless you're going to carry out the scan yourself the radiographers at this trust will refuse to do it without a cannula in the ACF. If they do the scan and something goes wrong it's their registration on the line if they've broken trust policy. If you come to the lala land of this trust you will be tearing your hair out, radiographers regularly have arguments with SpRs and above about it.

ReputationRep:
    It literally doesn't matter who you are, unless you're going to carry out the scan yourself the radiographers at this trust will refuse to do it without a cannula in the ACF. If they do the scan and something goes wrong it's their registration on the line if they've broken trust policy. If you come to the lala land of this trust you will be tearing your hair out, radiographers regularly have arguments with SpRs and above about it.
    Well, it's stupid and I'm glad I've left the SE. But nonetheless we shouldn't be using this one insane example as a reason to cannulate people in the wrong place unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpringNicht)
    If you're losing the vein after cleaning, trying making a little dint in the skin with your nail before you clean it as long as the patient's okay with it. It gives you a landmark then.

Additionally, is there somewhere with day case surgery in your hospital? I find that's the best practice I get since there'll be a few of them to do and an anesthetist right there for if you mess up. Knowing that if you can't get it there's someone there that will takes pressure off.
    Thank you for your reply. Sure that's a great idea, I'm sure there is a day case surgery in the hospital.
    Tbh I was thinking of just getting in touch and asking my favourite F1 again to see if they will be happy to teach/observe me.
    It's just one of those things I think that you get better at once you have some success and grow in confidence

ReputationRep:
    All I can say to that is when my sister does a bank shift in a ward there are always pumps beeping for 'down occlusion' where the patients bend their elbows and the nurses are constantly restarting them. It may be stupid but this trust does prefer to base decisions on where to cannulate on the chance the patient will need a contrast scan, I'm sure this can't be the only trust that does.
    What percentage of ED patients go on to have a contrast scan?

Protip: very few. Please stop banging on about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, it's stupid and I'm glad I've left the SE. But nonetheless we shouldn't be using this one insane example as a reason to cannulate people in the wrong place unnecessarily.
    We could just be done with it and stick a CVC in everyone who comes in the hospital

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    We could just be done with it and stick a CVC in everyone who comes in the hospital
    Oh, you can't put contrast down a CVC, that upsets the radiographers too...

A Swan sheath, on the other hand, I'm sure could handle it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.