The Student Room Group

I love languages but I'm more suited to an art and design based degree!

I really love languages a lot but after GCSEs, I've had to learn them by myself because I was focused more on art.
Now that I'm applying for uni courses (probably graphic design), I feel like I'm missing out on my last chance to study languages in a classroom type environment.

I really wish art based courses had the option to do a minor in a language ;;;

Does anyone have any ideas on unis that do language clubs or cities with good language schools, etc. ???
Reply 1
A lot of universities nowadays have language learning schemes, which allow you to attend free, paid, or subsidised (depending on the university) lessons, with a number of options on offer, or you may be able to do a foreign exchange depending on your course. Some also allow you to take extra course credits in classes that are not on your course, or sit in on other departments' lectures and seminars if there are spaces free. There may also be societies you can join that have links to language learning, or if not, then you could create one yourself. It would be worth expressing your interest and asking about these options at an open day, web enquiry, phone call, etc.

Kingston University, I know, allows you to take free language lessons alongside your course (but not as a degree, e.g: a minor in French). Before switching down a theatre route, Kingston was one of my strong contenders to study fashion at because of their language scheme. I was personally considering studying Drama and (French/German/Spanish/Italian) at the University of Kent, especially since their entry requirements only asked for a B in one language at GCSE (language A-Levels weren't offered at my school). Presumably they will have similar requirements for other joint honours language courses.
Original post by DuckLion
A lot of universities nowadays have language learning schemes, which allow you to attend free, paid, or subsidised (depending on the university) lessons, with a number of options on offer, or you may be able to do a foreign exchange depending on your course. Some also allow you to take extra course credits in classes that are not on your course, or sit in on other departments' lectures and seminars if there are spaces free. There may also be societies you can join that have links to language learning, or if not, then you could create one yourself. It would be worth expressing your interest and asking about these options at an open day, web enquiry, phone call, etc.

Kingston University, I know, allows you to take free language lessons alongside your course (but not as a degree, e.g: a minor in French). Before switching down a theatre route, Kingston was one of my strong contenders to study fashion at because of their language scheme. I was personally considering studying Drama and (French/German/Spanish/Italian) at the University of Kent, especially since their entry requirements only asked for a B in one language at GCSE (language A-Levels weren't offered at my school). Presumably they will have similar requirements for other joint honours language courses.

Thank you ! I was actually considering Kingston, I'll have to look into this !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending