Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I absolutely love science, and I have a passion for medicine - I adore it. Due to my schools new ghastly A Level policy, when I get to Yr 12, I have to take 4 A Levels, and I am not allowed to drop one. I am certain I want to do Biology (❤️❤️), Chemistry and Physics. I am told to do Mathematics, but it looks so boring and tedious. Apart from the sciences, my other favourite is Geography, and I’d love to do it A Level, but I fear that medical schools will be greatly displeased at my seemingly irrelevant A Level. Should I take Geography? Or should I spend two years crying 2 times a day at how I hate the tediousness of maths.

ReputationRep:
    Maths would probably be the best option, and it will help you understand work in physics much better. However if you really dislike it Geography should be ok and if you have the option to take psychology that would be a good option.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I could take Psychology, but I never really thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillPhillips)
    I could take Psychology, but I never really thought about it.
    Just go to another school that does 3 a levels and not 4. The 3 subjects you chose are hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love science, and I have a passion for medicine - I adore it. Due to my schools new ghastly A Level policy, when I get to Yr 12, I have to take 4 A Levels, and I am not allowed to drop one. I am certain I want to do Biology (❤️❤️), Chemistry and Physics. I am told to do Mathematics, but it looks so boring and tedious. Apart from the sciences, my other favourite is Geography, and I’d love to do it A Level, but I fear that medical schools will be greatly displeased at my seemingly irrelevant A Level. Should I take Geography? Or should I spend two years crying 2 times a day at how I hate the tediousness of maths.
    What did you get at GCSE maths out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like maths you won't like the universities where maths is highly preferred.

If you are able to drop one subject as an AS, definitely do AS maths. Pure maths isn't that difficult at AS, and the mechanics and stats will have a lot of crossover between other subjects (Physics and Biology respectively). If on the other hand you have to take it to year 13 then do Geography without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    physics and maths are a pair, if you're taking physics it's kinda mandatory you take maths

ReputationRep:
    Geography is fine, definitely don't do a subject which you actively dislike. There are no medical schools which state a preference for maths A level.

I would also try very hard not to do four A levels. You need three A levels to get into medical school and you need AAA as a minimum. You therefore might find that if you're taking on unnecessary work you'll become overstretched. Why is your school making you do four A levels? "Policy" doesn't really seem like a good enough explanation...

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology and History and I am wishing to pursue a career in medicine. Chemistry is a must and normally universities want you to choose one out of the following biology, maths or physics for a second A-Level and then most strongly encourage more essay based subjects to broaden subject knowledge hope this helped
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So basically, as of Monday, my school randomly stated to us that they’d no longer accept dropping an A-level. So you have to stick with 4 all the way through to the end. Apparently they got data from some source I’d never heard of that it increases your chance of getting higher grades.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there!

Most med schools make their offers from three A-Levels, so we'd suggest if you need to do a fourth then it's something you enjoy!

You can see which A-Levels different med schools require which A-Levels on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.