The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

POLL: do you support the death penalty?

Poll

Do you support the death penalty?

Personally, I would advocate the use of the death penalty for drug smuggling, treason, rape, murder, paedophilia, war crimes and fraud. Maybe this is a cultural thing (check my username) as I'm generally not so liberal towards these issues. What are your thoughts?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

this is the one thing there will never be a referendum on... because the Governments know what the result will be.
Original post by Bosnia
Personally, I would advocate the use of the death penalty for drug smuggling, treason, rape, murder, paedophilia, war crimes and fraud. Maybe this is a cultural thing (check my username) as I'm generally not so liberal towards these issues. What are your thoughts?

I'm not sure I would put drug smuggling and fraud in the same category as the other crimes you listed for the death penalty.

The biggest argument against the death penalty is probably that it is possible for innocent people to get convicted of rape and murder and so would be killed for something they didn't do (I.e. false rape accusation).
Reply 3
Original post by Bosnia

This.

I completely agree.
Yes - if it can be 100% proved it was that person who committed a crime such as rape, murder etc as this affects someone life or causes a death
No/ if it isn’t 100% sure it’s then whocommitted
Original post by Chaz254
I'm not sure I would put drug smuggling and fraud in the same category as the other crimes you listed for the death penalty.

The biggest argument against the death penalty is probably that it is possible for innocent people to get convicted of rape and murder and so would be killed for something they didn't do (I.e. false rape accusation).

I think drug smugglers should be as they’re ruining peoples life leaving them with no quality of life if they have a bad affect to the drug such as being left brain dead people do die from drugs too
So you would execute people merely for being attracted to the underage? Surely they can't help that, and some form of therapy might be more in order?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
So you would execute people merely for being attracted to the underage? Surely they can't help that, and some form of therapy might be more in order?

Brave move defending pedophiles!

I'm not sure some dad whose 12 yr old daughter had a bad experience with a 50 yr old man would say the same.
I agree with death penalty less tax used to sustain the person in prison
I agree to an EXTENT. The only reason for me being against the death penalty is simply wrongful convictions. Sadly that cannot be undone.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth best describes this situation. If you rape or murder someone, and the SOLID evidence against you, which you hasn't been tampered with, is COMPLETELY overwhelming, then yes there MUST BE EQUAL TREATMENT, in other words THE PUNISHMENT MUST FIT THE CRIME.........

in other words, you pay with your life!
Original post by the bear
this is the one thing there will never be a referendum on... because the Governments know what the result will be.

The result would be "no".

I don't recall what year it was but relatively recently support for the death penalty dropped below 50% in the UK. :fyi:

I live in a state with it, and where it is regularly carried out. I support it.
rape and murder than yes...
No.

1. No human should have the power to decide whether another human should exist or not, despite what the perpetrator may have done.
2. Wrongfully accused will never be rectified.
3. It’s an ‘easy way out’. Knowing you will be imprisoned until a natural death is much worse.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Seungy_Han
I agree with death penalty less tax used to sustain the person in prison

The death penalty is more expensive to administer than imprisoning people for life. It's unintuitive, but it's true.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Chaz254
Brave move defending pedophiles!

I'm not sure some dad whose 12 yr old daughter had a bad experience with a 50 yr old man would say the same.

I feel like more of a distinction needs to be drawn between paedophiles and child molesters - the guy you describe above is probably a child molester. As I've said on other threads before, surely a paedophile is more likely to abuse children if he knows society will revile him whether or not he does so?
Reply 16
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

Yes I would if they molested children. Good job defending paedophilia
Reply 17
Original post by 713Wave
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth best describes this situation. If you rape or murder someone, and the SOLID evidence against you, which you hasn't been tampered with, is COMPLETELY overwhelming, then yes there MUST BE EQUAL TREATMENT, in other words THE PUNISHMENT MUST FIT THE CRIME.........

in other words, you pay with your life!

Absolutely! Unfortunately voters don't think the same...
Reply 18
In theory i support it 100% like yeah if you murder someone you deserve to die, if you're a repeat rapist you dont deserve to live. Then comes reality, let's say in this case you have evidence to show this person done it without any uncertainty (a tough obstacle, since this rarely happens), when they go on death row and they're about to lose their life, something just doesn't seem right. You watch them suffer and die but surely it be better to see them recover and achieve something?

If I were to support the death penalty in reality there'd have to be 100% certainty of the evidence to show they committed the crime but also 100% certainty that there is no way they could be led to change their life around, if the former is almost currently impossible with loads of cases in the USA then the latter is even more impossible but if both those boxes were ticked then yeah I'd support it
Reply 19
It could be my culture but if someone killed a family member...I'd want them dead.