Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: do you support the death penalty? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?
    Yes
    32.48%
    No
    67.52%

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosnia)
    I think we can all agree on corporal punishment though
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    I think we can all agree on corporal punishment though
    Troll.

It's obvious that you're just trying to incite an argument now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBirder)
    Troll.

It's obvious that you're just trying to incite an argument now.
    No, I think we need to be tougher on criminals

ReputationRep:
    No, I think we need to be tougher on criminals
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parkleton)
    Why?
    Because currently, they live in prisons that are better than many people's homes that cost billions a year. If they were executed by means of public burning/fire squad/hanging/stoning or whatever method chosen, this would eradicate the cost and serve as a deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBirder)
    The death penalty should only be for people who wear jeans that have been deliberately made to have holes in them. In all other cases, no.

(Seriously: no under all circumstances)
    All jeans have holes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    To an extent I agree, however with point number one, in my opinion, a murderer decided to take the life of someone so why should they get to keep their life? They made that decision for someone else, someone helpless and unable to save themselves. They decided to stop someone existing. Why can't someone make the same decision about their life? In my opinion, if you take a life, you don't deserve to get to live yours - whether that's in prison, in therapy or elsewhere.
    As Ghandi said ‘An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind’. It is dangerous for the state to stoop to the level of the murder, killing should not be treated with killing. It also limits rehabilitation, and as I have already made a biblical reference I shall again, it stops the virtue of a second chance. I personally believe our current system of deterrence should be strengthened, to avoid crimes being committed in the first place, to not have to punish as many.

ReputationRep:
    Because currently, they live in prisons that are better than many people's homes that cost billions a year. If they were executed by means of public burning/fire squad/hanging/stoning or whatever method chosen, this would eradicate the cost and serve as a deterrent.
    First of all, as I have already stated, capital punishment has never been proven to be a deterrent to crime

Second, prisons only occupy a significant government budget because the government prefers to send people to prison over rehabilitating them in the community or supported housing, due to the Tory promise to be 'tough on crime'. There are also minimum standards prisons have to reach, and many of the old Victorian prisons are being rebuilt or have closed due to not being fit for purpose anymore.

Also, capital punishment in the USA is actually more expensive than maintaining those individuals in prison. This is mainly due to the appeals process, which should be in place to prevent as few innocent people being executed as possible. It would therefore cost MORE money to execute people than to keep them in prison (Source:
    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There is always the risk of a totally innocent person being executed for a crime they didn't commit. If you have the death penalty, innocent people will die. Miscarriages of justice will happen, it is simply not a question of if.

It baffles me how anyone can support the death penalty given those circumstances. The risk to innocent people should be enough to completely settle the argument.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Actually, in modern times and in our civilised society, executing someone is monstrously expensive. So it would save absolutely nothing and would actually cost the state MORE money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    As Ghandi said ‘An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind’. It is dangerous for the state to stoop to the level of the murder, killing should not be treated with killing. It also limits rehabilitation, and as I have already made a biblical reference I shall again, it stops the virtue of a second chance. I personally believe our current system of deference should be strengthened, to avoid crimes being committed in the first place, to not have to punish as many.
    And yet Ghandi was assassinated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Actually, in modern times and in our civilised society, executing someone is monstrously expensive. So it would save absolutely nothing and would actually cost the state MORE money.
    All you need is a couple of logs and a match
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would advocate the use of the death penalty for drug smuggling, treason, rape, murder, paedophilia, war crimes and fraud. Maybe this is a cultural thing (check my username) as I'm generally not so liberal towards these issues. What are your thoughts?
    Absolutely not. Killing people is barbaric and means someone has to be a murderer themselves to kill people.

ReputationRep:
    i could really only support the death penalty for rich ppl tbh :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    All you need is a couple of logs and a match
    That's not how it works.

ReputationRep:
    If I was Muslim my views would probably be respected, but the lgbt multi-culti loving doormats of the UK would rather bash its own state religion. What a mess your developed, wealthy country is compared to my developing and relatively poor one!!!
    I dont care if you are Muslim or not, Religion is a method of systemmatic oppression of working people and holds us back from our spiritual, moral and ethical evolution as a species.

Im the words of Bakunin;
    'As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz254)
    Brave move defending pedophiles!

I'm not sure some dad whose 12 yr old daughter had a bad experience with a 50 yr old man would say the same.
    There is a different between those who experience a sexual attraction to children and those who actually act upon it, you know. The person you are replying to undoubtedly means the former. Some people go their entire lives without finding a partner because they cannot be with those they are attracted to. You can get therapy for that. The people that rape/sexually assault children and ACT on their attraction, those people are the ones who cannot be excused from their actions.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    There is always the risk of a totally innocent person being executed for a crime they didn't commit. If you have the death penalty, innocent people will die. Miscarriages of justice will happen, it is simply not a question of if.

It baffles me how anyone can support the death penalty given those circumstances. The risk to innocent people should be enough to completely settle the argument.
    Innocent people dying would only account for less than 2% of deaths. In that regard, the death penalty is fully warranted and should be reinstated
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetoebeans)
    i could really only support the death penalty for rich ppl tbh :/
    Why? What distinction is there between a poor person being allowed to commit a crime and a rich one? They're both human and so should both be punished equally - unless you are advocating for a society in which nobody is equal, thus undermining the very nature of the judicial system for which the death penalty would exist.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Innocent people dying would only account for less than 2% of deaths. In that regard, the death penalty is fully warranted and should be reinstated
    Any innocent death is unacceptable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.