Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am currently at the stage where I am applying for colleges and sixth form etc...
    I really don't know what a levels to pick. I want to become a pedreatric nurse and was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best ones for me to take and what grades I'll need to take the courses. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyyJo)
    Hi! I am currently at the stage where I am applying for colleges and sixth form etc...
    I really don't know what a levels to pick. I want to become a pedreatric nurse and was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best ones for me to take and what grades I'll need to take the courses. Thanks
    Hi!! I'm in the same boat as you although I have no idea what I want to do in the future! What subjects do you take at the moment? I know at college (and at my sixth form) they have a Level 3 (or 2!) diploma (equivalent to an A Level)! in Health and Social Care in which you do children's health I'm pretty sure (but you may want to check with the sixth forms/colleges that you're applying to to see if they do that. I think what they'll ask for is either this or 2 A levels in a science or health related course (so you could say take biology, chemistry & the health and social care course - sociology & psychology may also count but just check that & you will need 5 GCSES level A-C (9-5). I'm doing child development for GCSE and did think about being a paediatric doctor when I'm older (but I'm not so sure anymore) & to get into the health & social course my sixth form that I'm hoping to go to is asking for 6s in either Child Development or English I think but this may vary with your sixth form - I don't know too much about college because I don't want to go so I would check to see what you need to get into the specific course which you can probably look through the ones they do on their website or through a prospectus that you may receive at things like career events & things like that. I know for most A-levels you need a 6 in that subject or a different one which they allow if you didn't study it in GCSE to do that A-level but I think sometimes if you just miss if you may still be allowed on your course/to do the A-level it just depends really! Good luck!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I do English, maths, science (obviously) and then my chosen ones I did were history, geography, electronics and p.e. I was thinking of do a level chemistry, maths and sociology but I just feel like I won't enjoy any of them. I wanted to do the childcare course but it is full time and I'm pretty sure I need to take a science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyyJo)
    At the moment I do English, maths, science (obviously) and then my chosen ones I did were history, geography, electronics and p.e. I was thinking of do a level chemistry, maths and sociology but I just feel like I won't enjoy any of them. I wanted to do the childcare course but it is full time and I'm pretty sure I need to take a science
    Oh right cool, do you do combined or triple? Oh they are good subjects - I do geography too! If you don't think you'd enjoy any of them then don't do them, I was thinking taking maths as I wanted to do physics but I don't think I'd enjoy it so I don't think I'll do it (I'm not sure yet though). Yeah that's true - I think it's really heavily coursework based as well (which isn't so bad but a lot of deadlines which can get stressful!) but I think you're probably advised to take a science - do you enjoy biology? I'm pretty sure usually if you're thinking of going to a medical university then they ask for biology & chemistry but obviously this changes with each university so it may be worth looking for ways you can enter paediatric nursing to ensure that you get all the qualifications you need to get to where you need to!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Maths, a Science, English/a Social Science e.g. Psychology, Economics etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm just struggling as a lot of my mates have already applied for sixth form and college and I still can't decide what I want to do. Such hard decisions!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.