Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VMXX - Motion of No Confidence in the Government Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this Motion pass?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    45.65%
    On the contrary, No
    52.17%
    Abstain
    2.17%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    VMXX - Motion of No Confidence in the Government
    Proposed by: Rt Hon CoffeeGeek MP (Con)
    Seconded by: Hon Wilhuff Tarkin MP (Con), Hon Saunders16 MP (Liber), Rt Hon joecphilips (Liber), Hon Mr T 999 MP (Ukip)

That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government for these reasons:

1) Contrary to convention, the coalition agreement was negotiated and voted on in the middle of the term.
    2) Three by-elections have been triggered by Government parties consecutively. Two of those seats belonged to members of the Cabinet including the Chancellor. The lack of rigour seems to suggest a lack of competence.
    3) It’s obvious to one that if a Government can’t get their members to vote it's no surprise that their collective output is puny. There’s been few bills since it’s formation, no Budget, no SoIs from the Great Offices of State, mainly statements responding to motions, probably to look active. But quite counterproductively, it does not achieve this. Despite being a majority Government, it seems to be a difficult task to pass a bill as there is already an example of defeat because their members can’t be bothered to turn up to a vote.
    4) The previous minority government of LabSoc was more active than this Government and in contrast to the Opposition they are simply not on par.
    5) Not a very innovative Government. Either relying on few members or a motion submitted by Opposition parties to bring some output.

Though members of the Government themselves might disagree with this motion, they will find it difficult to refute the compelling points outlined above. Even they have their doubts about whether this Government is functioning how it should be. It's a severe injustice for this to be allowed to continue and it's abundantly clear that a fresh, competent and innovative administration is required for the greater good of the country.

As per the guidance document this motion will be on the floor of the House for three days before being sent to division unless a request not to do so is made.

3) This will automatically start a 3 day discussion where both sides get to argue their points; the Speaker will start a thread and post the reasons for the motion of no confidence being called.
    4) After the 3 day discussion a 4 day poll will be opened in the Division Lobby so that all MPs can have a vote. The poll will be a private poll only showing the results when it has ended.
    5) If the result of the poll is in favour of the motion of no confidence then a period of 7 days shall be allowed for other parties to form a new government (using all the usual regulations for it).
    6) If the result of the poll does not favour the motion of no confidence then usual business will resume in the House of Commons.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This Government is like an animal that's been hit on a highway just waiting to die. Time to put it out of its misery. Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Doubly unconstitutional, pointless, and poorly argued.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    Down with the commie government! :mob::mob::mob:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Doubly unconstitutional, pointless, and poorly argued.
    Still going on about that.

Yeah I guess it's pointless that we are trying to get a Government that actually does things.

Isn't perfect but it has validity. Then again most things aren't perfect in life. Even yourself - despite the fact that you think you are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Still going on about that.

Yeah I guess it's pointless that we are trying to get a Government that actually does things.

Isn't perfect but it has validity. Then again most things aren't perfect in life. Even yourself - despite the fact that you think you are.
    You still haven't fixed the format properly and it's fallen short of the required debate period

It's pointless because we're so close to the end of the term

it's poorly argued because it consists of a list of statements that are either internal matters or stopped being a thing a few weeks ago
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye. ******* aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You still haven't fixed the format properly and it's fallen short of the required debate period
    Ah I see it. You’re still being petty then.

It's pointless because we're so close to the end of the term
    We still have a month to go and there’s no one here saying that as soon as the new Government forms they can’t call an early General Election as soon as they take office. So I don’t get the “pointless” argument - in the end everything is pointless to you.

it's poorly argued because it consists of a list of statements that are either internal matters or stopped being a thing a few weeks ago
    Isn’t a MoNC more or less a statement?

Bar the first point all of the other things are ongoing as we speak. Unless you want to deny there’s going to be a third by-election, members are failing to turn up to votes, puny number of SoIs and no Budget, inactivity and legislation coming from the same party and the same member (which is the main reason why we are seeing legislation). Go ahead. Deny it and say this all stopped happening a few weeks ago.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Isn’t a MoNC more or less a statement?

Bar the first point all of the other things are ongoing as we speak. Unless you want to deny there’s going to be a third by-election, members are failing to turn up to votes, puny number of SoIs and no Budget, inactivity and legislation coming from the same party and the same member (which is the main reason why we are seeing legislation). Go ahead. Deny it and say this all stopped happening a few weeks ago.
    You should know by now I will pull up the minutiae.

as for the month I think that is too little, especially when you factor in negotiation period, bar maybe a rushed out So I or two a completely new government won't do much, a few. A few weeks ago I would have supported it with a capable government being able to push a budget if they really wanted to.

As for the statement side I would expect not just the proposer saying what the problem is but why we should care. With the lack of coalition agreement: so what? That's a matter for the government, it's an internal problem, why should that be a reason to bring them down, for instance. At this time of night while inebriated I can't be bothered to go through more points explaining but I hope you get the idea.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You should know by now I will pull up the minutiae.

as for the month I think that is too little, especially when you factor in negotiation period, bar maybe a rushed out So I or two a completely new government won't do much, a few. A few weeks ago I would have supported it with a capable government being able to push a budget if they really wanted to.
    You’re assuming that this new Government would try and finish off the rest of the term. If the Budget was produced that quickly it would probably be ill-conceived. Not saying that this would happen but no one is here saying that the Government can’t just call an election as soon as they enter office instead of trying to finish off the term. Especially if it’s of totally different colour - a month isn’t ideal. What should be influencing your decision is not the time but everything that has happened since a few weeks ago. For example, the voting review which revealed there would be a third by-election triggered by the government. Just because it’s getting close to the end of the term doesn’t mean the Government that forms after this must finish the term, as you seem to be suggesting here. Therefore time isn’t really a big issue as you make it out to be (unless of course it’s like a week before the GE...).

As for the statement side I would expect not just the proposer saying what the problem is but why we should care. With the lack of coalition agreement: so what? That's a matter for the government, it's an internal problem, why should that be a reason to bring them down, for instance. At this time of night while inebriated I can't be bothered to go through more points explaining but I hope you get the idea.
    Of course it’s a matter for Government but whatever they agree on they will end up presenting to the House (through legislation, SoIs, Budget...) so it becomes a matter for us. Although it’s none of our business it doesn’t make it anymore convenient that it’s negotiated in the middle of the term rather than at the start.

I get your points but it doesn’t mean I agree with them nor does it mean they are right. And yeah, thought you were a bit tipsy.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How long until we get a result on this one? This bug certainly removes some of the suspense...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    How long until we get a result on this one? This bug certainly removes some of the suspense...
    For urgent business i'm always happy to reveal straight away so just give me a few seconds..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    One postal request was made to change a Nay to an Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Will it be verified that they did in fact vote Nay and if it turns out that they were attempting to manipulate the results will they be named and shamed?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    With how close this is, will you be checking for double votes?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Ayes to the right, 21.
    The Noes to the left, 24.
    Abstentions, 1.

I think the Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.