Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to balance Work, AS Levels and Gym !?!?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently working in a retail store and studying AS Bio,Maths,Eng lit and Lang, ICT too but am finding it hard to find time to study over the weekend and trying to fit in a slot for gym but it's not working because I run out of time or am either too tired or I don't know when to do either

I work from 12-10pm on Saturday and 12-7pm on a Sunday. I find it hard to figure out when to go gym and when to study due to my work slots but I have no idea, to be honest. Someone give me a suitable time to study and workout.

(I am a 16yr old Male btw)

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zmarai123)
    I am currently working in a retail store and studying AS Bio,Maths,Eng lit and Lang, ICT too but am finding it hard to find time to study over the weekend and trying to fit in a slot for gym but it's not working because I run out of time or am either too tired or I don't know when to do either

I work from 12-10pm on Saturday and 12-7pm on a Sunday. I find it hard to figure out when to go gym and when to study due to my work slots but I have no idea, to be honest. Someone give me a suitable time to study and workout.

Thank you
    Those are long hours of working during AS. How long do you see yourself working there for? Considering you have 5 subjects, you'll need your weekends to study. Can't you just work once a week?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Get up at 5am and go to the gym before college.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    I think official advice is that you shouldn't work more than 10 hours a week whilst studying your AS & A-Levels, especially since you're doing 5 subjects!

Last year (AS) I worked 5 hours a week and this year I do 9.5, and I am finding it more difficult to fit other things in. If you can, try to cut your work hours.

Also, take advantage of free time during your school day to study. You shouldn't have to spend all your time at home studying.

Make sure you're eating well, sleeping well and generally taking care of yourself as well as that will help you be less tired.

ReputationRep:
    Cut your work hours, go to sleep earlier and go the gym in the morning. Also, make sure you're studying efficiently. It's all very well and good studying for 10 hours a day but if you're doing in 10 hours what could be done in 2 hours, something isn't working and needs to change,

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    In my AS I worked in retail and worked 12 hours from Saturday to Monday. It was tiring but you eventually get in the swing of it and will get used to the workload. Id suggest asking them to reduce your contracted hours when it got to March close to exam season I managed to get my contracted hours to 4 hours only. The earlier you do this the better, don't get greedy for the money honestly think about your studies they are so important and you don't want no regrets! You have to be efficient I know its easier said than done but I was doing 5 subjects as well plus work plus social life. It is possible!

You should make a timetable of what needs to be done per subjects including the homework as well as slots to do revision of extra work. Then the other slots should be kept free fro social life including gym and any breaks. If you make a timetable, per subject do 30-60 minutes slots if possible but don't do all subjects per night that will be too much. You don't have a lot of time so I would suggest doing the homework the day its set so that you don't leave it till last minute. Don't over work it trust me its not the best way to work, overworking leads to you being even more tired! The days you have work you can do any easy homework before and after on the weekends if that helps. But make sure you eat and get enough sleep! SLEEP is so key! Don't waste time by making excuses that you don't want to do this or that, if you need a break take a break and go back to school work whenever you feel ready. During the break have food to energise you.

I don't know if that helps? But it'll get easier along the way, making a timetable is the best thing for me as you can see what needs to get done. I regretted not doing it in AS but in A2 it sure did help me.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    I worked 20 hours/ week in year 12 while self-studying A2 maths and further maths, and AS chemistry and physics. I studied all through the day until I went to the gym from 8-10pm on weekdays then worked ten hours on Saturday and Sunday. Just try different things until you find something that's works for you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    You are given a lot of time during the week. The issue isn't that you need more time (we all do ;-) ), the issue is priority.

Working part time is admirable and worth doing, however do you need the money for anything other than luxury? Education is unfortunately quite a strict path, you can deviate and make it up later but you'll have tk work 10x harder.

You decide on your priorities then assign time appropriately. I'd say study -> gym -> work but that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Those are long hours of working during AS. How long do you see yourself working there for? Considering you have 5 subjects, you'll need your weekends to study. Can't you just work once a week?
    I’m planning on working there permanently

ReputationRep:
    attempt to cut down your hours at work - doing one shift w
    would be better. it's suggested you do less than 12 hours per week during your a-levels. if this is not possible, you need to become better with time management and take care of yourself.
    ensure you're hydrated and eat healthy/plenty to help get less tired. you need to make a time table that's realistic, ensuring you fit in time for all your activity
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.