Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went to university 10 years ago and studied History but I had to withdraw after a year due to a family crisis. I would now like to go back to do the same course but what can I do to improve my chances of being accepted, I really don't want to have to do an access course.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte..T..)
    I went to university 10 years ago and studied History but I had to withdraw after a year due to a family crisis. I would now like to go back to do the same course but what can I do to improve my chances of being accepted, I really don't want to have to do an access course.
    I would suggest speaking to the university and the department directly as much as possible before applying.

They are likely to have two concerns
    a) they will want to be reassured that the situation that lead to you dropping out last time isn't likely to reoccur
    b) they may want to see some evidence that you're still academically current - an OU module or two or some MOOCs might be enough to provide that evidence but they're the best people to ask about this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.