Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The bible says :-

Nothing May Be Added - Revelation 22 v 19

I testify to everyone who hears the words of prophecy in this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!…

It is no surprise that God warns us many times in Scripture to be aware of false teaching. We need to be able to recognise false teachers in order to know when they are being led down a path that God did not intend.

Jeremiah 23:16

16 This is what the LORD Almighty says: “Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD.

Ezekiel 13:9

9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divination. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign LORD

Luke 6:26

26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

Anything that comes after the bible and goes against the teaching of the Bible is not from God Almighty.

A stark warning:-

Acts 20:28-30

28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.

People who do not believe Paul spoke from God after his dramatic conversion:-

2 Peter 3:14-18

14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

The warning in the bible is very clear. False prophets speak with heir own thoughts from their own lives and do not speak from God. If they add to the bible with additional words of teaching that do not line up with God's word, these are not from God and will lead to the individual's eternal destruction.

Open for discussion, who are these false prophets?

And finally:-

1 John 4:1-6

1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognise the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, .......They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognise the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

and:-

Matthew 7:15-20

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognise them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognise them.

ReputationRep:
    Phew, its still here. Thought for a moment the post had disappeared

ReputationRep:
    i never got on with St Paul's writings. he is whiny and bossy.... totally unlike Our Lord ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i never got on with St Paul's writings. he is whiny and bossy.... totally unlike Our Lord ?

Paul writes in his letter to the Corinthians:-

'I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.
    24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.
    25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea,
    26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.
    27 I have laboured and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.
    28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.
    29 Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?
    30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying.'

I challenge you to think about all the things you whine and moan about on a daily basis, I believe you will find it to be no where near the life and death challenges Paul faced daily and physical suffering he endured to bring the Good News to man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    I struggled with feeling that Paul's writing was too harsh... So I avoided his letters for the better part of a year until I basically decided that it was God's word, so if I didn't like it the problem was with me.
    I've prayed about it, discussed it with God, and he's completely changed my view on Paul's epistles, I love them now!
    Praying God will do the same for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia.C)
    I struggled with feeling that Paul's writing was too harsh... So I avoided his letters for the better part of a year until I basically decided that it was God's word, so if I didn't like it the problem was with me.
    I've prayed about it, discussed it with God, and he's completely changed my view on Paul's epistles, I love them now!
    awww that's lovely; my Christian journey improved immeasureably once i jettisoned St Paul and his miserable outpourings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia.C)
    Which bible do you use Natalia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Phew, its still here. Thought for a moment the post had disappeared
    I believe that false prophets are everywhere and have always been. Once one looks at the bible being absolute truth then false prophets are spiritually discerned, but only with the Spirit of God in us, not of our own doing.

Are false prophets aware they are deceiving? Do they intentionally and maliciously deceive to lead people away from the truth of God?

I believe some do, whether that's Darwin creating the false theory of evolution or someone like James White labeling himself as a reformed Calvinist but disputing God's word at every turn.

And everyone can be or has been a false prophet through ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummond)
    I believe that false prophets are everywhere and have always been. Once one looks at the bible being absolute truth then false prophets are spiritually discerned, but only with the Spirit of God in us, not of our own doing.

Are false prophets aware they are deceiving? Do they intentionally and maliciously deceive to lead people away from the truth of God?

I believe some do, whether that's Darwin creating the false theory of evolution or someone like James White labeling himself as a reformed Calvinist but disputing God's word at every turn.

And everyone can be or has been a false prophet through ignorance.
    Do you then think that Darwin intentionally and maliciously decided to lead people away from the truth with his great evolution hoax?

I can understand where you are coming from with your reply and agree, that it is the work of the Holy Spirit which gives discernment of false spirits etc.

The devil is very cunning and every word spoken that goes against God's plan for mankind, ie redemption by the blood of Jesus shed on the cross, is from him and his desire to stop people from seeing God's amazing grace and salvation. I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Do you then think that Darwin intentionally and maliciously decided to lead people away from the truth with his great evolution hoax?

I can understand where you are coming from with your reply and agree, that it is the work of the Holy Spirit which gives discernment of false spirits etc.

The devil is very cunning and every word spoken that goes against God's plan for mankind, ie redemption by the blood of Jesus shed on the cross, is from him and his desire to stop people from seeing God's amazing grace and salvation. I believe.
    Yes i do, i believe Darwin was sent to manipulate the evidence for the possibility of evolution so that the world could teach a trillion year timeline instead of a 6,000 year time line. As with the big bang, these two theories are the foundations for atheism and they succeeded in their purpose. But what they can't do is neutralise the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit, or even the increase in knowledge from Dan 12, which enables us to discern that these theories are engineered and why they have been engineered. They attack the genealogy of the bible. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummond)
    Yes i do, i believe Darwin was sent to manipulate the evidence for the possibility of evolution so that the world could teach a trillion year timeline instead of a 6,000 year time line. As with the big bang, these two theories are the foundations for atheism and they succeeded in their purpose. But what they can't do is neutralise the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit, or even the increase in knowledge from Dan 12, which enables us to discern that these theories are engineered and why they have been engineered. They attack the genealogy of the bible. :-)
    I've had countless discussions with atheists on the subject and when they get cornered they resort to mocking, general scoffing and rudeness (aka Dawkins school of response).

You only have to walk down the rows of stuffed birds heads in the Natural History museum to see there is absolutely no evidence of anything having evolved. All stuffed birds heads. No birds turning into elephants.... no fossil record of any changes just tons and tons of fossils of things as they were.

ReputationRep:
    I've had countless discussions with atheists on the subject and when they get cornered they resort to mocking, general scoffing and rudeness (aka Dawkins school of response).

You only have to walk down the rows of stuffed birds heads in the Natural History museum to see there is absolutely no evidence of anything having evolved. All stuffed birds heads. No birds turning into elephants.... no fossil record of any changes just tons and tons of fossils of things as they were.
    The mocking of you is for the benefit of the neutrals, those that are reading your posts and considering what you are saying. These mockers are like the modern day Pharisees. They know they can't get you back to believing in evolution because God has got to you. So they attempt to stop you from planting the seed with others, that they might believe also. So they will try and corrupt the seed which you plant, but they can't because God will give the increase to those who he wants to consider it. If people see through the hoax of evolution and understand its corrupting intentions, then that can lead them very rapidly to God.

ReputationRep:

Have you even read on the origin of species?? Evolution is basically a proven fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliewiz)
    This just shows how undeucated you are and the exact reason as to why you are religious. Have you even read on the origin of species?? Evolution is basically a proven fact.
    You are perfectly entitled to disagree but you have resorted to a personal insult instead of a reasonable debate. No need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    You are perfectly entitled to disagree but you have resorted to a personal insult instead of a reasonable debate. No need
    It is not a personal insult to say that you are uneducated when you clearly just presented the evidence by denying evolution. Ignorange is not a choice in todays society.

ReputationRep:
    This just shows how undeucated you are and the exact reason as to why you are religious. Have you even read on the origin of species?? Evolution is basically a proven fact.

Obviously I used an absurd example to illustrate the ridiculous thought process of evolution.

I'm sorry but evolution is not a proven fact. Look into it critically.

ReputationRep:
    "This statement is true."

Aha, it is written down, in a book and everything, so it must be true.

Therefore everything else in the book must also be true.

"The first statement is false."

Bugger.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but evolution is not a proven fact. Look into it critically.
    Evolution, of all scientific theories, has the most evidence supporting it and currently no evidence showing it to be false. As far as science can prove anything as fact, it is easily the best candidate.

This is why people don't take believers seriously.

Folks, I'm not with Racoon.

ReputationRep:
      What? On the Origin of Species is a century behind the times. Why would you quote that as the reason Evolution is 'basically a proven fact'.

The most compelling evidence for evolution is actually in the fossil record. When you get to the oldest parts of the world, you see the simplest organisms. Cyanobacteria is the oldest at 3.5 billion years old.

That said, there are 'holes' in the fossil record you could drive a truck through and, even if there weren't, there are questions that should be asked of evolution:

1) (With apologies to people who are going to say 'Abiogenesis isn't evolution!', but it has been conflated and so should be addressed) - The initial step from non-living biological matter to living biological matter has never been observed in a controlled environment.

2) There has never been an example seen in a controlled environment of cells that previously had no disposition towards cooperation to suddenly and spontaneously cooperate.

3) There has never been an example seen in a controlled environment of cells that did not have a previous disposition towards specialization suddenly specializing, or of those with no disposition towards pseudo specialization to suddenly pseudo specialize.

The obvious counter-argument to those is, "But ThatOldGuy - It took perhaps the entire universe billions of years for life to evolve randomly. We have been watching for signs for maybe a century. It is highly unlikely we'd see any of that" and that is a decent argument, but what we have is essentially a religion that those things happened because 'They had to'.

Evolution is the most likely scenario based on our current evidence - And the evidence is considerable - But those questions being asked are very important and could still change radically our ideas.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.