Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently choosing a levels for next year and I'm really stuck. I enjoy biology but many people say a level biology is incredibly hard. What are your honest opinions on it? Thank you x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ambera2894)
    I'm currently choosing a levels for next year and I'm really stuck. I enjoy biology but many people say a level biology is incredibly hard. What are your honest opinions on it? Thank you x
    It's not that hard, especially compared to Physics.

Biology is just memorisation heavy. Once you've read through the revision guide and memorised concepts AND done some past papers to see what the examiner is looking for, you'll easily achieve an A.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find the that the concepts aren't too difficult to get your head around, however what makes it hard is the volume of information. If youre good with memory work and you are generally good at Biology I'd say go for it. The step up to AS isn't too bad either, I found AS to A Level much more difficult

ReputationRep:
    it's hard in terms of remembering all the information but the concepts aren't difficult. pursue it if you want to do science at University
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think it's not hard, you don't even need any biology knowledge, just learn how to answer the questions. I didn't speak any English and got A grade.

ReputationRep:
    I hated Biology in GCSE but had to take it for A-levels and honestly it is a massive step from GCSE's to A-levels but you must keep up with the workload. I did Chemistry, Maths and Psychology alongside Biology, and out of all of them Chemistry was probably the worst in AS. I can ensure you that you will love it if you put in the effort and time for the subject and do all the work. Out of all my A-levels Biology had the most content but people think the content is hard to learn, it is hard to learn you just have to know all the processes and everything related to it. If you know all the content in Biology you will pass by flying colours. But regardless of what grade you get in GCSE, it really doesn't matter you'll do perfectly fine in A-levels. Once you get to A2 it is more complex but honestly its a lovely subject. I can not express how badly its important to do past papers and look at the mark schemes for the key words they want. You can be a A grade student in content but if you haven't done enough past papers you'll flop miserably in the final exams. If you put the time and effort into it you'll do fine!

ReputationRep:
    I've done about 3/4 of the course so far. It's hard, but only if you.make it hard. As long as you put the work in and when you are working, working efficiently is the key to a good grade. A lot of people do over hype it, saying that no matter how hard they try they can't do well in any science and most of the time these are the people who leave everything to the last minute and have never practiced any exam technique. I would know since I was like it in the first half of AS biology (also applies to chemistry) until I started trying and realised a clear correlation between the effort I put in and the grades I was getting.

Also consider uni choices and the degree you want to do. Biology is a facilitating subject so it is highly admired by universities and opens many doors that soft subjects can't.

As long as yoo are willing to out in the work you can definitely do well in biology at A level.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If any one of you did edexcel IAL(As level) biology or Edexcel GCE(AS level) biology,could you give me some tips for an A gradeAlso,tell me what books or revision guides you used.Is the green ann fulick book good?Also,I'm doing the 2008 syllabus so a level reforms don't apply to me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the advice, that's really helped

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.