Student finance help-seperation Watch

Busylizzy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

I'm due to start nursing sept 18 and I was just going through terms of student finance.
My husband left myself and our two children July 16 and we have been living separately since. I have taken over the bills in my house and I am self funding. But when I read the conditions, it says it will take my husbands income into account...do they still do this if you and no longer together and living separately? If I'm correct, I think they class you as indepentant if you can prove you have been self funding for 3 years.
If this is the case I don't know whether it is best to defer until 2019...šŸ˜•
Thanks for your help
Liz
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Busylizzy)
Hi,

I'm due to start nursing sept 18 and I was just going through terms of student finance.
My husband left myself and our two children July 16 and we have been living separately since. I have taken over the bills in my house and I am self funding. But when I read the conditions, it says it will take my husbands income into account...do they still do this if you and no longer together and living separately? If I'm correct, I think they class you as indepentant if you can prove you have been self funding for 3 years.
If this is the case I don't know whether it is best to defer until 2019...šŸ˜•
Thanks for your help
Liz
You need to prove separation for SFE to ignore your husband's income.

That's either sending evidence of a divorce, a letter from a solicitor or (the easiest to get normally) a letter from your council showing that you are in receipt of a single person council tax discount.
Busylizzy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thank you, I have council tax bills that show that. We haven't started divorce proceedings yet so hopefully the council tax bill will be ok x
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (249)
91.54%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (23)
8.46%

Watched Threads