Cambridge English Students and Applicants

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    The thread for all things English, for all the Men of Letters and Lit Chicks out there!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I think the English students (Englings) and offer holders need some representation, so here's a thread to chat about the course or general Englishy things. Congratulations to those with offers and good luck to those in the pool!

Neutral_Tones, English, Caius.

P.S. If my spelling/ grammar/ punctuation generally sucks in the course of this thread - er

ReputationRep:
    Argh, sorry Neutral! My thread just got moved across there...*headdesk* Simultaneous thinking. Silly us.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! Hopefully somebody clever will delete this, because it doesn't seem to let me

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone - congratulations to those with offers and good luck to those in the pool! I like the fact we have a cool smiley face for our thread.

Neutral_Tones, English, Caius (if I get the grades of course!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad someone got round to this... I look forward to much literary discussion. And other kinds too, of course.

ReputationRep:
    holy crap guys, we're five posts in and there's been little intellectual content......

someone, before they snatch our offers are snatched away.

um.....er.......arrgghhh

SHAKESPEARE RULES.

(few, thats probably bought us a few more posts.........)

ReputationRep:
    (To be fair, most of those posts were because Neutral and I simultaneously set up English threads, which then got merged into one!).

Shakespeare rules? Nah. :p:

Intellectual content enough for yer?

ReputationRep:
    Offer for English at Selwyn! I am so happy! Yes deep intellectual literary dicussion is needed..ummmm....here's a poem, analyse:

The cat was on the mat
    The mat had squashed the hat
    The rat loved the hat
    So the rat hit the mat
    The cat loved the mat
    So the cat ate the rat

Now I know why I got in ...:P ANALYSE, PEOPLE!!

ReputationRep:
    Gold star to that girl! :p:

ReputationRep:
    So what's everyone looking forward to about the course? Any idea about which language you're going to take for Paper 7? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Old English.

Old English,

Old English.

^^This is liminal messaging. You know you want to. (No, seriously!)

ReputationRep:
    Why would they want to Old English when they could take Ancient Greek? Let's face it, the alphabet is much prettier. :p:

ReputationRep:
    yet, but they do both sound like a cow farting when spoken, so I don't think aesthetics are what we should be focusing on.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidka)
    Why would they want to Old English when they could take Ancient Greek? Let's face it, the alphabet is much prettier.
    I knew you'd try and push Greek -- but WHY, given the hell it causes?!

(Original post by The Good Shepard)
    yet, but they do both sound like a cow farting when spoken, so I don't think aesthetics are what we should be focusing on.........
    How dare you, sir!
    Old English sounds nothing like Greek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    I knew you'd try and push Greek -- but WHY, given the hell it causes?!
    Because it's fun. And you get to read Homer properly.

Greek and Old English sound nothing like each other. :p: Have a listen here.

ReputationRep:
    what the hell can this possibly be a link to???? www.greekandoldenglishcomparison.com????

Ok, I've clicked on it..........

Im sorry, you must have posted the wrong link; this one appears to just be a clip of a pensioner farting in a bath

ReputationRep:
    what the hell can this possibly be a link to???? www.greekandoldenglishcomparison.com????

Ok, I've clicked on it..........

Im sorry, you must have posted the wrong link; this one appears to just be a clip of a pensioner farting in a bath
    It worries me that you know what that sounds like, frankly. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    Old English.

Old English,

Old English.

^^This is liminal messaging. You know you want to. (No, seriously!)
    I was considering Old English, although I might just do Latin as I'm doing it for A level. This isn't really the attitude to take, but how much extra effort is OE? :p: I certainly blahed on about medieval stuff in my interview enough (:rolleyes: ), I'm not sure I want to know what they put in the "suitability for chosen course" box.

ReputationRep:
    *leaves epitome to point old that Old and Medieval English are not the same thing :p:*

I've just been re-reading the Literary History of Cambridge and my supervisor's in it. That made me stupidly happy for some reason.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.