Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uber loses appeal in UK employment rights case Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Uber has lost an appeal against a ruling on the employment rights of drivers. Uber was appealing against an earlier ruling in favour of the drivers but its argument was dismissed.

Uber drivers should be classed as “workers”, the Employment Appeal Tribunal has ruled, in a landmark decision that could have major ramifications for labour rights in Britain’s growing “gig economy”.

Uber drivers have previously argued that they should be classified as “workers” with rights such as minimum wage and holiday pay, rather than self-employed as Uber claimed they are.

More info here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rights-workers

Previous thread on Uber losing licence can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4962796

ReputationRep:
    well ****.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The impact this will have on students in London will be huge. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sadiq Khan will do everything possible to ruin London.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Not necessarily. This case is separate from their TfL license appeal and refers to a different aspect - the classification of workers rather than public safety and security. In that regard, it may damage their chances of getting the TfL license back but it isn't a direct link.

Furthermore, they still have multiple avenues of appeal so it's extremely unlikely that this is the last we've heard of this. So long as they continue to have a case in the courts, they'll continue with the status quo when it comes to how they classify workers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Not necessarily. This case is separate from their TfL license appeal and refers to a different aspect - the classification of workers rather than public safety and security. In that regard, it may damage their chances of getting the TfL license back but it isn't a direct link.

Furthermore, they still have multiple avenues of appeal so it's extremely unlikely that this is the last we've heard of this. So long as they continue to have a case in the courts, they'll continue with the status quo when it comes to how they classify workers.
    Less drivers equals harder to get a Uber though, no? Especially since I bet some Uber drivers won't go back to working for them unless their self-employment status is removed?

ReputationRep:
    I struggle to grasp as to how this is top of TSR and it's had like 7 comments.. Who the bloody hell decides what stars on my TSR?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    I struggle to grasp as to how this is top of TSR and it's had like 7 comments.. Who the bloody hell decides what stars on my TSR?
    It's called asking nicely for it to be promoted

ReputationRep:
    It's true that Uber opened up the possibility of easily and efficiently taking a cab when previously this would have been both very expensive and also a hassle - thereby opening taxi-taking far more widely down the demographics, including to students.

However, this was at the price of desperately bad working conditions for large numbers of mainly minority/recent migrant workers in London and other Uber cities (main effect is in London), so it's really no more acceptable than buying shoes made by child workers or smartphones (Apple in particular) with supply chains in China that are anti-union, have oppressive working hours and mistreat workers on a large scale.

Uber is also a typical tax-dodging Big Digital using global scams and manipulations to avoid corporate responsibilities.

This decision will make it much harder for them to dump on the market with running-at-a-loss underpricing and so it will help to level the playing field and give more workers a chance at a decent living. Black cabs also engaged in tax dodging and are overpriced. Uber were underpriced. Perhaps there's a happier middle ground.

Now eagerly awaiting the court decisions on the London Mayor withdrawal of the Uber license.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)

Ditto. It'll be interesting to see the impact it has on the future of the services/pricing, as it's unlikely this will be overturned with any success. Yet there's no date to enforce a new contract and as you've said they can continue to operate in the same manner as long as they keep appealing.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask for my posts to be promoted? Or are people like me seen as scum on TSR. Do your reps define your superiority over other people?

Sorry your grace, for speaking to you in an ill manner. I should kneel before your prestigious TSR account.

ReputationRep:
    It's not what you know, it's who. :lol:

Really pleased personally to see this getting top billing, the way the Big Digitals are ripping up decades of worker rights and tax obligations globally is appalling and they desperately need to be reigned in by governments and courts.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask for my posts to be promoted? Or are people like me seen as scum on TSR. Do your reps define your superiority over other people?

Sorry your grace, for speaking to you in an ill manner. I should kneel before your prestigious TSR account.
    Please remain on your knees for the indefinite future, it will be spiritually fulfilling as well as beneficial.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

:lol:

My rep is meaningless in this. I'm ST for D&CA and when the ST make threads in their sections, we can ask the CT to promote them. Make a good, popular thread and perhaps one day your thread will be promoted after being spotted by the CT or ST.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's not what you know, it's who. :lol:

Really pleased personally to see this getting top billing, the way the Big Digitals are ripping up decades of worker rights and tax obligations globally is appalling and they desperately need to be reigned in by governments and courts.
    Knowing people is excellent Plus, I did the thread when Uber originally lost their licence.

I agree. I think this 'gig economy' is getting out of hand at this rate.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Please remain on your knees for the indefinite future, it will be spiritually fulfilling as well as beneficial.
    :innocent:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Less drivers equals harder to get a Uber though, no? Especially since I bet some Uber drivers won't go back to working for them unless their self-employment status is removed?
    I don't really see this appeal ruling as causing much change from what is already the case. Note that by it's nature of an appeal, people who strongly disagreed with Uber's position and side with those bringing the case forward could have already voted with their feet. Ergo, if they wanted to stop using Uber because of their treatment of self-employment, they could have done so when the initial ruling was given. An appeal ruling doesn't change that.

And again, when they have multiple avenues of appeal, this is extremely unlikely to be the end of this. So long as a court is hearing the case, the status quo remains and Uber will not be instantaneously required to give it's workers the minimum wage, holiday rights etc. The point here is that in the short term, nothing has really changed so for students in London, little if anything has changed for now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Ditto. It'll be interesting to see the impact it has on the future of the services/pricing, as it's unlikely this will be overturned with any success. Yet there's no date to enforce a new contract and as you've said they can continue to operate in the same manner as long as they keep appealing.
    An insightful comment which I can only agree with.

ReputationRep:
    wtf?!?!?! Nooo!

ReputationRep:
    Could this open up issues for services like deliveroo and such who effectively do similar **** with regards to employee rights? I don't mind uber being made a bit worse but if deliveroo struggle to get a burger to my door imma flip.

ReputationRep:
    Austin Texas banned Uber. Within a week, the competition had moved in. It is no bad thing. Anyway - what is wrong with talking / bus / tube? Students have it too good these days.

As for this ruling - it is a good thing. It means that our employment laws can not be circumvented. I am sure most people would agree that the tax dodging practices by most big companies are not right. Well so is the idea of employing people but not paying them minimum wage or giving the sick or holiday pay. They are the basics we have grown to expect in this country and if you work for a company for more than a certain amount of time, you should expect those basic things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.