Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm a single mum with 3 kids and for too long I've ignored my life. I'm finally at a stage where I need to start my life but I'm a bit stuck as I can't decide which degree to choose. Logic would tell me to go into teaching so that I can have the same timings as my kids but I know I will not enjoy that and I want to do something that I can carry on once my kids are older and into their own lives. I then decided that I would want to work around different people and healthcare seemed very interesting to me. So I looked into midwifery but once I went into detail I found out that during the degree the timings are extraneous and it would be difficult for me as I have kids. So I've dropped that idea but I still really want to work in a hospital but also want to be able to do a degree that won't demand too many hours. I know seems a bit picky but I'm really not sure what to do. I have seen that my local uni do BSc radiotherapy part time but I've read that it's not an interesting job. Can anyone help me as to which degree would be best? Thanks for helping.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Mev85)
    Hi
    I'm a single mum with 3 kids and for too long I've ignored my life. I'm finally at a stage where I need to start my life but I'm a bit stuck as I can't decide which degree to choose. Logic would tell me to go into teaching so that I can have the same timings as my kids but I know I will not enjoy that and I want to do something that I can carry on once my kids are older and into their own lives. I then decided that I would want to work around different people and healthcare seemed very interesting to me. So I looked into midwifery but once I went into detail I found out that during the degree the timings are extraneous and it would be difficult for me as I have kids. So I've dropped that idea but I still really want to work in a hospital but also want to be able to do a degree that won't demand too many hours. I know seems a bit picky but I'm really not sure what to do. I have seen that my local uni do BSc radiotherapy part time but I've read that it's not an interesting job. Can anyone help me as to which degree would be best? Thanks for helping.

I do think you sound a bit unrealistic.

You can look at associated health careers here.

Maybe look under Allied Health Professionals

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles

As part of any application you will be expected to have gained work experience and you can use that to see how the jobs work and how that might fit in with your lifestyle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.