Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thought I'd start a thread for anyone booked onto OASC next month.

Would love to hear from anyone on the 10th December selection especially?

How's everyone's prep coming along?

Thanks, James

ReputationRep:
    bumping as December is approaching us. Anyone booked into OASC next month???

ReputationRep:
    I too have my OASC 10-12th DEC. Applying for ATC Officer.Revision Phys Training is coming along alright, how is everyone else doing?

ReputationRep:
    I had mine last week and I smashed it boys.

The best advice I can give is that I can't give better advice than the advice they give you before the exercise phase starts - get stuck in and don't hold back. The ones who hesitated, were too quiet, and simply didn't add value when they spoke were the ones who didn't make the cut. I'd stress that last point especially. You have to add value. AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!

Everyone there is in the same boat and for the most part work together and are supportive. It is in the syndicates favour to work together and do well for each other.

Good luck lads and god speed.

Through adversity to the stars!

Guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guydabomb)
    I had mine last week and I smashed it boys.

The best advice I can give is that I can't give better advice than the advice they give you before the exercise phase starts - get stuck in and don't hold back. The ones who hesitated, were too quiet, and simply didn't add value when they spoke were the ones who didn't make the cut. I'd stress that last point especially. You have to add value. AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!

Everyone there is in the same boat and for the most part work together and are supportive. It is in the syndicates favour to work together and do well for each other.

Good luck lads and god speed.

Through adversity to the stars!

Guy
    Well done Guy! Have you heard anything back from OASC or AFCO as yet? Absolutely buzzing for it now! Think I may be a nervous wreck if they make me wait over Christmas and the New Year though!
    Thanks, James
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nothing yet mate. It's funny, the anticipation for OASC is so ****ing intense. Then you get maybe a days respite whilst you recover. Then the anxiety creeps right back in as you await your result. My life is literally in limbo as I await the most important email of my life to date. When it hits 1700 and you still haven't heard it like ahhhh **** another anxious night here we go. And that's where I am now. **** it I'm hitting the booze tonight.

Oh, and sorry to say, it's pretty much guaranteed you won't hear back til after Xmas. Even ours was borderline. Unless you **** it up, then you'll know right away. **** me boys ive never been so impatient in my life. At the culmination of a years worth of anticipation here. Baaaaaa

Regards

Guy

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaa with the amount of ****, we would get on like a house on fire!!

I know the feeling of anticipation! I've got less than 2 weeks to go and my emotions are all over the place! I'm surprised your not doing a Maja from Zero Dark Thirty and sending an email to AFCO with a number of days elapsed LOL!!!

At least you know that gone 17:00, you won't hear anything!! Boozing every night... You'll fit right in to the RAF culture

It's surprising as a couple of people that attended OASC 2 weeks ago have already heard back to say they're in the SIFT. Makes me wonder whether your call is due any day now! I'm going for ATC and they're prioritising us due to high-demand, so I'm going to pray to the gods individually for an answer before Xmas... If not, I'll have a late Christmas celebration!

What role are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesbb93)
    At least you know that gone 17:00, you won't hear anything!! Boozing every night... You'll fit right in to the RAF culture
    Maybe 10/15 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say I have sat enough interviews in my life to say they don't really worry me anymore and my fitness is up to light blue scratch. My only worry is the Day 1 exercises. I'm aware ATC's are in colossal demand currently (only satisfying 60% of their quota), so we may get a pinch of salt here and there, but I wouldn't count on it too much. Sitting down at the end of the day hearing people getting selected off must be gruelling. I have plenty of planning exercises for the Group and Individual Planning exercises. I intend to sit down the night before with my syndicate and arrange some rules for the Group discussion so everyone gets a turn to speak. Anyone have any tips for the practical exercises? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm attending to do FATS on the same date - sorry James it wouldn't let me reply to your PM but I'll do so when the forum sorts itself out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't underestimate the interview. Seriously. I had a similar view to yourself and feel I let myself down on the day because of it. Unless you've been interviewed by serving officers for a commissioned role then your interview experience won't count for much. They are so efficient with their questioning it's quite off putting. Also, you won't get your syndicate until the morning of the exercise phase so you won't have time to lay the ground rules you mention. I wouldn't recommend that approach anyway. If everyone is confident in their abilities they'll be able to contribute and score sufficient points. And that is exactly the purpose of selection. Don't try and beat the system by creating a script or a process. It's everyones individual responsibility to make themselves heard and to contribute. With regards to the practical exercises (and the whole of day 1) these two points will hold you in good stead. MAKE YOURSELF HEARD and add value every time you speak. Be clear, concise and efficient when giving directions. Try and force a sense of urgency as you are always against the clock. Don't let others direct your team when you're leading (they will try, probably unintentionally). By all means take their good ideas and advice, but use it as your own and make sure you're the one directing the team. Also, get stuck in when you're being led by the others. This is the majority of the exercise, so don't sit in the back ground. Support your team leader. I found everyone in my syndicate to be very supportive of each other. It's in everyone's best interest to work well for each other, at all stages. After all this is one of the qualities they're looking for. Seriously though, don't tell the other syndicate members you have a set of rules for them before the exercise starts. And don't expect/allow anyone to say that to you. It won't be natural and the boarding officers will see through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PM447)
    I can honestly say I have sat enough interviews in my life to say they don't really worry me anymore and my fitness is up to light blue scratch. My only worry is the Day 1 exercises. I'm aware ATC's are in colossal demand currently (only satisfying 60% of their quota), so we may get a pinch of salt here and there, but I wouldn't count on it too much. Sitting down at the end of the day hearing people getting selected off must be gruelling. I have plenty of planning exercises for the Group and Individual Planning exercises. I intend to sit down the night before with my syndicate and arrange some rules for the Group discussion so everyone gets a turn to speak. Anyone have any tips for the practical exercises? Thanks
    Hi PM447,
    I went to OASC in September and I'm currently in further consideration on the dreaded wait for an offer letter.

Unfortunately you are not put in to your syndicates until the morning of the group exercises and you get about 15 minutes to chat between yourselves and discuss the day ahead. Of course, you can get to know as many candidates as you can the evening before and hope that you are in a grouped with people you get on with but I wouldn't get too attached as you won't know who is capable until they actually begin.

I would suggest that you use the 15 minutes to agree between yourselves that nobody is going to try to out-shine one another within the syndicate, especially during the group discussion which requires consciously letting others have their turn. The common advice to ADD VALUE when you speak can't be stressed enough as you don't want to appear to be talking for the sake of it when you don't have a valid point. If someone makes a good argument, explain the opposing argument and justify why there may be other factors to consider even if you ultimately state that you agree that they have made the correct view.

In the hangar, I know people that were sent home specifically because they were too quiet. Speak with a commanding voice, take suggestions if you are stuck, listen to good ideas but ultimately be the prison deciding on the option to go with and to make this clear. Always keep in your head the plan to complete the task, even if this changes throughout the exercise as you may be stopped and asked to explain how you will complete the task if you run out of time. This will prove that you are not just making it up as you go along.

Finally, during the planning exercises it is important to know timings precisely for each landmark that you pass and to justify decisions made and risks that you face. Ultimately they want to hear the precise time that you would expect to complete the objectives for bonus credit.

Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks chaps, really do appreciate the advice. I have had a filter interview conducted by my AFCO's Flt Lt, but I don't imagine that'll amount to much against the dual efforts of the boarding officers. Talk when necessary and add meaning. Precising timings during the planning. Gotcha. Done plenty of revision, still have an extra 10 days. See how well I do on the day haha.

ReputationRep:
    Based on my experience the filter interview has nothing on the OASC interview. My filter interview felt relaxed and casual and I was able to have a bit of banter with the guy. OASC is much more formal and straight to the point. The same topics are covered, but you don't have the luxury of time to express yourself with your answers. It's quite impersonal and almost feels robotic. Preparation is key as things tend to slip your mind in that environment. Good luck again. Hope you nail it.Guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guydabomb)
    Based on my experience the filter interview has nothing on the OASC interview. My filter interview felt relaxed and casual and I was able to have a bit of banter with the guy. OASC is much more formal and straight to the point. The same topics are covered, but you don't have the luxury of time to express yourself with your answers. It's quite impersonal and almost feels robotic. Preparation is key as things tend to slip your mind in that environment. Good luck again. Hope you nail it.Guy
    Depends on who took your filter interview! I think I was a rare example where I found my filter interview to be harder than the OASC interview. I got absolutely grilled to **** in my filter, but it made me 100x more prepared for the real thing... which perhaps is why I felt it went easier!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips on the second filter interview? The one at OASC? Im currently preparing physically and the first filter went okay, just slightly unsure what to prepare for this time round other than what was covered the first time!

ReputationRep:
    It’s pretty much the same as filter just no Nato or org at the moment. Possibly more detail on AirPower and operations

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you know all of your training like the back of your hand, also. Exercise names, what you’re doing on what week, professional training post-IOT etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.