Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Personal Statement Help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently in the progress of writing my personal statement and I need some help with a couple of things

1) When it comes to how you got 'in to' a subject, is it okay to mention that something fictional initially sparked the interest? I have mentioned real life studies that have furthered my interest in psychology, but should I avoid mentioning that a fictional TV show was what made me want to find out more in the first place?

2) Should I mention helping out in open days encouraging more people to pick the subject?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaomiPT)
    So I'm currently in the progress of writing my personal statement and I need some help with a couple of things

1) When it comes to how you got 'in to' a subject, is it okay to mention that something fictional initially sparked the interest? I have mentioned real life studies that have furthered my interest in psychology, but should I avoid mentioning that a fictional TV show was what made me want to find out more in the first place?

2) Should I mention helping out in open days encouraging more people to pick the subject?

Many thanks
    1) I think you can, but make sure not to put too much detail in it (maybe write one sentence?). It's a good idea because it makes your personal statement unique to you, as there are so many people who start things off like 'When I was younger', 'I have always been interested in...'.

2) No, helping out during your sixth form open day will not mean anything on your personal statement. Stuff you can mention can include:
    - Any subject related events (E.g. masterclasses)
    - Any relevant work experience (e.g. in a hospital or lab)
    - Any relevant books
    - Any lectures
    - Any articles, podcasts or videos
    - Any projects (e.g. EPQ)
    etc...

And then the last paragraph(s) should be a brief description of extracurricular activities not related to subject and a conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! This will be a huge help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    1. The 'how' is not important - focus on the 'why'

As above for (2)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.