Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, really need some personal statement help. I want to study sociology with psychology. What things should I include etc? I don't have much of a background in sociology so how do I also make myself relevant to the course? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why you want to study it, your work experience or shadowing, your future career ambitions, anything extra you've done that shows your interest.

ReputationRep:
    Have you studied psychology? Then maybe you could talk about that... if not, then just talk about stuff you've done outside of school that relates to sociology. It could be as simple as talking about a book you read or a topic that interests you. They want to see your enthusiasm for the course, but also know that not everyone has the same opportunities.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Try and include paragraphs on these:
    - Why you wish to study the course.
    - Academic and work background (and how it aligns with the course)
    - Something about the institution- Why you'd love study this course at this specific institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill-Matt)
    Try and include paragraphs on these:
    - Why you wish to study the course.
    - Academic and work background (and how it aligns with the course)
    - Something about the institution- Why you'd love study this course at this specific institution.
    I'd skip specifically mentioning any university. OP is probably applying to more than one institution so mentioning one will insult and scare off the others. Also, expressing an interest for an institution could be misinterpreted and will sound less genuine than when expressing interest for the subject and course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maivnek)
    I'd skip specifically mentioning any university. OP is probably applying to more than one institution so mentioning one will insult and scare off the others. Also, expressing an interest for an institution could be misinterpreted and will sound less genuine than when expressing interest for the subject and course.
    True! I'd narrowed my line of thought to a scenario where he was applying to a specific institution. I do see your point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.