Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To those voting in the poll that they will not be wearing a poppy because the day 'glorifies' war, you are misunderstanding the meaning of the day.

The day is to remember those who died in the wars protecting their countries. It is not to celebrate that the wars happened, it is to acknowledge those that made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation and the people within.

Now to remember and respect those who died by simply wearing a red poppy on your jacket doesn't sound like that much of an ask does it??

(Original post by JoshDawg)
    To those voting in the poll that they will not be wearing a poppy because the day 'glorifies' war, you are misunderstanding the meaning of the day.

The day is to remember those who died in the wars protecting their countries. It is not to celebrate that the wars happened, it is to acknowledge those that made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation and the people within.

Now to remember and respect those who died by simply wearing a red poppy on your jacket doesn't sound like that much of an ask does it??
    What if they don't have a jacket? What if they only have a coat? OH LORD NOW YOU'VE CONFUSED ME

Also:

Nahhhhhhhhhhh mate, I do want I want. Your political agenda does not bother me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What if they don't have a jacket? What if they only have a coat? OH LORD NOW YOU'VE CONFUSED ME

Also:

Nahhhhhhhhhhh mate, I do want I want. Your political agenda does not bother me.
    and what political agenda would that be

ReputationRep:
    It is not merely to remember those who died, though. See your description: "ultimate sacrifice" when they were "protecting their countries". Your words are of praise. It is difficult to support participation in war without supporting the institution of war. Note, it is this mass noun sense of "war" used; it does not the mean discrete conflicts themselves are "glorified".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)

It, kind of depends.

I agree that the day is about remembrance and respect, so I’ll wear a poppy, it’s an act of kindness.

However, in a way, it does glorify war. It’s saying that it’s honourable to die on the battlefield, and idolising those who did.

Which is why, I believe, the white poppy has a stronger message. It’s about respect and not wanting war to continue. (There’s a better way of wording the symbolism of the white poppy than that, but, yeah.)

x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    It, kind of depends.

I agree that the day is about remembrance and respect, so I’ll wear a poppy, it’s an act of kindness.

However, in a way, it does glorify war. It’s saying that it’s honourable to die on the battlefield, and idolising those who did.

Which is why, I believe, the white poppy has a stronger message. It’s about respect and not wanting war to continue. (There’s a better way of wording the symbolism of the white poppy than that, but, yeah.)

x

We honour those who gave their lives and sacrificed themselves for their country. Millions died defending their homes from the Nazis and wearing a poppy honours their sacrifice. Remember our side wasn't the one invading, the Nazis were. We died defending and if that mentality was held in 1939 then the Nazis would have won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    It is not merely to remember those who died, though. See your description: "ultimate sacrifice" when they were "protecting their countries". Your words are of praise. It is difficult to support participation in war without supporting the institution of war. Note, it is this mass noun sense of "war" used; it does not the mean discrete conflicts themselves are "glorified".
    Damn right. Any person willing to die for defending Britain I will praise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    It, kind of depends.

x
    And also the reason we have remembrance day is so we don't forget what happened and so we don't repeat it.

'Lest we forget'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.