Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drivers - how long did it take you to pass? Watch

Has anyone here passed their driving test that suffers with anxiety?

My partner has failed 3 times now because he gets too anxious so makes silly mistakes.

How many times did it take you to pass?

ReputationRep:
    Ironically nerves helped me pass. I was too cocky the first time. I think I was good enough but then I made a silly mistake that cost me. Second time I took my test I was more nervous cos of what happened the first time and I passed with 3 minors all for hesitation/waiting to long to go at a roundabout.

I passed second time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Has anyone here passed their driving test that suffers with anxiety?

My partner has failed 3 times now because he gets too anxious so makes silly mistakes.

How many times did it take you to pass?
    I don't suffer from anxiety, but everyone has nerves. It's widely accepted that the driving test is one of the most nerve wracking experiences one goes through. So it's not only people with anxiety that sometimes struggle.

Passed on my second attempt. Probably had around 30 lessons in all, in addition to practice with my Father in his car using L-Plates whenever I got the chance. (In and around the outer suburbs of NW London, Pinner, Hatch End, North Circular, Barnet etc.)

I'd say 8 months in total from first lesson to passing.

ReputationRep:
    8 months?!?!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do suffer from anxiety, at least enough to frequently make ridiculous decisions that baffled my instructor lol. I was always very nervous when driving, particularly at the start of each lesson. I drove so badly that we just decided to not bother doing a mock

But I passed first time by sheer fluke. I think it goes without saying that I'm not going to try driving independently until I gain a bit (a lot) more experience.

ReputationRep:
    Didn’t suffer anxiety but nerves were a good thing to make me concentrate. 17 lessons over 4 months passed first time
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    8 months?!?!
    Average of 1 hour a week for lessons, occasionally more, waiting for test dates, plus retest after failing the first time. I don't see that 8 months is unreasonable.

Impatience is not a good trait for a competent driver. I've had my licence for 30+ years.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Cars and motoring.

ReputationRep:
    About 50 hours of lessons and passed 3rd time, took me roughly 5 months. I alongside failed my first test due to being a bit too cocky.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.