Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Azzie's Adventure to University
    January 2018 ~ November 2018
    (Part 1)

Welcome to my first Grow Your Grades thread! I am Azzie (Azizah), a fellow Bruneian sitting the grand A-levels (CIE) in 2018 - and perhaps, may re-sit the AS exams again in June.

About my O-levels; I did not attend a great school in particular (the average was extremely low), but had shockingly gotten 6 A's and 3 B's. It was the highest for my batch.

2016 O-level results

English - A
    Bahasa Melayu - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Islamic Religious Knowledge - A
    Geography - B
    Mathematics (Syllabus D) - B
    Additional Mathematics - B

----------------------
    The subjects I take

Physics (AS + A2)
    Chemistry (AS + A2)
    Biology (AS + A2)
    Mathematics (AS + A2)
    General Paper (AS)

As I have mentioned earlier on, I am going to re-sit my AS exams in May/June 2018. Reason because the CIE A-levels here are linear, hence I do not really have a choice on it.

First sitting (Oct/Nov 2017)

Physics - (c) 63%
    Biology - (c) 65%
    Mathematics - (b) 77%
    General Paper - (b) 78% *not re-sitting

I am aware that re-sits are not favoured upon, so I need to ensure that I improve by at least 2 grades; especially concerning the fact that I will be an international student for university. There are some "projects" that I am setting up to ensure that I can reach my maximum potential, here are some of them:

Projek Permulaan (Starting Project) ~ 20th till 25th February
    AS progress update
    --

Goals
    • First target: ace May/June AS exams!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    :woo: Please keep me updated.:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    :woo: Please keep me updated.:teeth:
    Ok! I will figure out how I can do that
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by wifd149)
    Ok! I will figure out how I can do that
    Copy and paste this into the bottom of your next post:
    [spoiler][QUOTE=04MR17]x[/QUOTE][/spoiler]

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting, I wish you the best of luck with your journey and your aspirations!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    #1(Monday)13th November,

Hello again! It is night time here, around 7:51 pm. Tomorrow I am having my AS Biology Paper 1 exam in the morning, I hope I can do well...somehow. I do feel somewhat hopeless about my AS exam honestly, especially towards biology and physics. The reason being is that this year's Oct/Nov Paper 2's had been the easiest paper that I have done so far and that makes me quite anxiuos about it - because an easy paper only means a super high threshold mark for an A. Furthermore, I have learnt that the difference between an A and a B is very small, for example this year's May/June Paper 1 for Physics: an A was a 27 and a B was at least a 24. I am not hopeful of my future result.

Regardless, I would still do what I can before the exam. After that, I have an AS Physics Paper 1 on Thursday morning, which is the last exam paper I am going to sit this year.

So, tonight I am just going to look through the chapters briefly and really look into the areas where I normally make careless mistakes. I am done with practicing the past year papers this afternoon. Perhaps after my exams are over I can make this thread a bit more fun :bee:
    Attitude is more important than ability. Staying calm is better than being super-prepared and super-nervous.:yep:

You've got this.
    Stay strong.
    You're awesome.
    :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Attitude is more important than ability. Staying calm is better than being super-prepared and super-nervous.:yep:

You've got this.
    Stay strong.
    You're awesome.
    :heart:
    That's true Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:

Making permanent changes for 2018(and from now on):fuhrer:

Hello once more! As of today my first AS exam season has ended and I am only left with 10 more school days left. In Brunei, our school year normally starts in January and ends on the 30th November - leaving the whole month of December as a holiday. The remaining school days are used to begin the syllabi for A2, so it is around the best time to start my new resolutions for the events in the following year. Looking back, I did accomplished my old goals: I had an above average grades consistently throughout exams and tests, I had learnt to run as a sport and gotten myself selected for sports day (but had unfortunately gotten sick and had to forfeit), and I normally submitted most of my homework.

The real beginning for my adventure to university starts now!

There would be many major events happening in 2018 and loads of exams involved. As I have mentioned before, I might re-take my AS exams once more in May/June and depending on what courses I would like to apply to, there will be some entrance tests as well - in addition to the school's internal assessments. I am still unsure of what I want to do for undergraduate, but the ones I am considering seriously are economics, international relations, natural sciences (physics or biology), accounting, and medicine as a last choice.

It is a busy year ahead, and I ought to find out how my new schedule will be and how I can work it out. Aside from that, I have a couple of lists on the goals I would like to accomplish this December and next year, of multiple catergories. However, the most important ones are:
    1. Have a proper sleep schedule for at least 6 hours. I really want to avoid falling ill a lot and insufficient sleep easily causes me to have fevers.
    2. Study hard; study 24/7 as much and as healthily as I can truly do. Although I had drastic improvement this year, I can tell there were still times that I waste too much time.
    3. Get all the work experience and volunteering work for my future personal statement this late Novemeber ~ entire month of December.
    4. Start studying today and throughout the holidays.
    5. I need 4A* and I want A*'s this year!

In terms of character and as a student, I would like to be...
    • a pro at studying - I need to begin my past year preperation way early. Plus, study for my AS too.

There are many things I have learnt about the top students in my school; the one that is always number one with 91%+ across his subjects is a super hard-working boy. Same goes to the girl with a 98% in chemistry. They had done almost all, if not all, of the past year papers and had begun since early of the year. I'll see how far can I go with that :ahee: (I hope I can still be alive)
    • very disciplined and hard-working.

Same for the previous reason too. And I need to get a hold of my sleep.
    • (have) a skill in talking and conversing like a diplomat and a royal queen.

Watching some shows on the old days like Black Butler (anime) really demonstrates how far one can go with being able to converse in a posh and tactical manner, and I would love to know how to casually throw in compliments and double-edged comments. I just find it an incredible ability to have.
    • an intellectual.

I feel satisfaction when I can contribute a lot to almost anything, so I am hoping to read a lot more journals and other extra tests relevant to the undergraduate subject I would like to study and many non-fictional books, than novels this upcoming year.
    • a true strategist at heart.

"Exams will be nice to you, if you be nice to your studies."

'Till next post.

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    :party:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    :rofl:

I love how this is written.

Hope you enjoy your new endeavours and don't be a :coachpotato: like me.

ReputationRep:
    3rd January, Wednesday

First off, I did deleted some of last year's posts because I have been sort of unsatisfied with them. I do not update on a routine basis, so the jumps between the dates were far from each other. Perhaps this new year I can actually provide substance for this thread. Aside from that, today is the second day of school after having one whole month of vacation. I did receive a notable amount of homework, but as two of them is for next week, I decided to cut some slack this evening.

One problem I had to face this morning was my lack of sleep. I slept around 12 am and had woken up at 3:45 am, you could call this insomnia. I did not feel groggy at that time, though I was aware that I could doze off later on. Funnily enough I was able to pay attention in class "okay-ly." The previous afternoon after school I napped for maybe 1 hour and 15 min. Normally this doesn't affect my sleeping time at night; regardless I decided to simply nap for half an hour after school today hoping to properly set my sleeping time.

I am impressed that I can still have literate... thoughts(?) right now.

By the way, i had also gotten my self a Hobonichi planner for 2018 . A new habit I have developed is to write down what I learned in school that day when I am doing homework or studying that evening. Maybe I would share a photo of it? If I remember and actually do that of course.

It has been proven advantageous for me, because: 1) I can actually fill in the whole daily page and not waste about BND$50. 2) You can actually remember stuffs from that day, and recall what you learn in class the next day.

-- Azzie

ReputationRep:
    13th January, Saturday

Hello everyone, it is the second week of school now and I don't think I am doing nor coping well at all. Today I had came to learn that a particular bully of mine had gotten 2A*'s and possibly another 7A's for GCSEs (I took O-levels). I am not quite sure what I think about that; I do know that it had hit me hard however. We both met during a charity event around four years ago, ever since she would normally be brash and enjoys degrading me. I attended a below average school, but she went to a school proclaimed as the best in my country. It is akin to a grammar school I suppose, a very expensive one. Furthermore, considering that she hangs out with people that likes to sleep around often and maybe take drugs, it did shocked me. Her mother told me, and sometimes I wonder why people would like to compare their children to me. I don't reckon myself to be a bright student at all.

Aside from that, this week had not been productive. I slacked off from Tuesday to Friday and I did regret that.

Nowadays I do feel quite down, depressed, anxious, with the AS results coming out probably at the end of this month or early February. What had really put me off was when my neighbour asked regarding my school and sorts. I don't like how people associates me to my study and intellect 99% of the time. I know that my intorverted and isolated character is the cause, but it was also the fact that I was doing extremely well before 2016. Winning gold at all the competitions I joined and even coined 100%'s in national exams. Heck, I even got scholarships to Raffles, Hwa Chong, and NUS High (Singapore top schools ~ I rejected because I was still scared to live alone abroad). Why I struggled ever since my O-level year is something I find a bit difficult to grasp.

I try to pick myself up again and again after falling miserably, but I find it immensely back-breaking to keep my motivation and strength up continuously. The first time I failed to get at least third place was extraordinarily traumatising. Unlike many others, I know I don't have supporting parents and the only thing they did was to regularly open scars. I do not feel confident about anything I do now. I guess I shouldn't have been human, because just a single fall had cost me a lot that I never wanted.

Being bullied a lot (shredded homework, soaked lab reports) by both classmates and teachers since young, it always amazed me how far I could go last time. Now, I could only hate myself and the cycle of endless self-loathing spooks me all the time. I want to move, but it is impossible. I want to do well, but it is impossible.

I don't want to be depressed, but I can't help but to be depressed.

Sorry for the sad post though, but that's about this week.
    -- Azzie
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    13th January, Saturday

Hello everyone, it is the second week of school now and I don't think I am doing nor coping well at all. Today I had came to learn that a particular bully of mine had gotten 2A*'s and possibly another 7A's for GCSEs (I took O-levels). I am not quite sure what I think about that; I do know that it had hit me hard however. We both met during a charity event around four years ago, ever since she would normally be brash and enjoys degrading me. I attended a below average school, but she went to a school proclaimed as the best in my country. It is akin to a grammar school I suppose, a very expensive one. Furthermore, considering that she hangs out with people that likes to sleep around often and maybe take drugs, it did shocked me. Her mother told me, and sometimes I wonder why people would like to compare their children to me. I don't reckon myself to be a bright student at all.

Aside from that, this week had not been productive. I slacked off from Tuesday to Friday and I did regret that.

Nowadays I do feel quite down, depressed, anxious, with the AS results coming out probably at the end of this month or early February. What had really put me off was when my neighbour asked regarding my school and sorts. I don't like how people associates me to my study and intellect 99% of the time. I know that my intorverted and isolated character is the cause, but it was also the fact that I was doing extremely well before 2016. Winning gold at all the competitions I joined and even coined 100%'s in national exams. Heck, I even got scholarships to Raffles, Hwa Chong, and NUS High (Singapore top schools ~ I rejected because I was still scared to live alone abroad). Why I struggled ever since my O-level year is something I find a bit difficult to grasp.

I try to pick myself up again and again after falling miserably, but I find it immensely back-breaking to keep my motivation and strength up continuously. The first time I failed to get at least third place was extraordinarily traumatising. Unlike many others, I know I don't have supporting parents and the only thing they did was to regularly open scars. I do not feel confident about anything I do now. I guess I shouldn't have been human, because just a single fall had cost me a lot that I never wanted.

Being bullied a lot (shredded homework, soaked lab reports) by both classmates and teachers since young, it always amazed me how far I could go last time. Now, I could only hate myself and the cycle of endless self-loathing spooks me all the time. I want to move, but it is impossible. I want to do well, but it is impossible.

I don't want to be depressed, but I can't help but to be depressed.

Sorry for the sad post though, but that's about this week.
    -- Azzie
    I am really glad you've tagged me in this.:yep:

What I'm gonna say might sound brutal, I apologise in advance if it does.

GCSEs aren't important anyway. Genuinely. You don't need to care about what she got, she's her own person and she doesn't have to be compared or associated with you.:nah: I don't give a monkey what school you or her went to: it isn't important. I think her circle of friends is possibly an indication of her character.:sadnod: You're not sleeping around or doing drugs, and you're not trying to make anyone suffer either; you're better than her.

I've studied intelligence at uni so let me tell you, people aren't born with a natural god-given gift to get 100% in national exams, and those scholarships to fantastic schools abroad. (I bet the pathetic excuse of a bully you've got doesn't have those by the way.) You have worked hard to achieve those, and not enough people appreciate that. You are a fantastic human being, and shame on the rest of the world for not saying so enough.

Again with AS results, their actual significance is pretty low down the pecking order when looking at jobs further down the line, and they're not even HUGELY significant for university either.

Missing out on third place is absolutely fine if you tried your best.

There's plenty of people with un-supportive parents in this world and that is a real shame and annoys the hell out of me. But if they aren't supportive of you then don't be concerned with anything they think. Seriously, you are more important.:yes:

It is never impossible to do well if you try your hardest, and that's all anyone can ask of you.:yes:

My challenge to you is to prove them wrong. You are better than all those haters and all those doubters. You just don't show it often enough and you don't realise it yourself. Show them how fantastic you are. It might not stop them hating, they might not like you even more, but they'll know that whatever they do, it's not gonna stop you because you are resilient. And they aren't.

I'd strongly advise you to read some of the things in the link below, including my own personal story. And thank you for motivating me today to actually do something, because this got me so angry (not at you, at the world) it's unbelievable.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/lif...ying-week-2017

ReputationRep:
    I am really glad you've tagged me in this.:yep:

What I'm gonna say might sound brutal, I apologise in advance if it does.

GCSEs aren't important anyway. Genuinely. You don't need to care about what she got, she's her own person and she doesn't have to be compared or associated with you.:nah: I don't give a monkey what school you or her went to: it isn't important. I think her circle of friends is possibly an indication of her character.:sadnod: You're not sleeping around or doing drugs, and you're not trying to make anyone suffer either; you're better than her.

I've studied intelligence at uni so let me tell you, people aren't born with a natural god-given gift to get 100% in national exams, and those scholarships to fantastic schools abroad. (I bet the pathetic excuse of a bully you've got doesn't have those by the way.) You have worked hard to achieve those, and not enough people appreciate that. You are a fantastic human being, and shame on the rest of the world for not saying so enough.

Again with AS results, their actual significance is pretty low down the pecking order when looking at jobs further down the line, and they're not even HUGELY significant for university either.

Missing out on third place is absolutely fine if you tried your best.

There's plenty of people with un-supportive parents in this world and that is a real shame and annoys the hell out of me. But if they aren't supportive of you then don't be concerned with anything they think. Seriously, you are more important.:yes:

It is never impossible to do well if you try your hardest, and that's all anyone can ask of you.:yes:

My challenge to you is to prove them wrong. You are better than all those haters and all those doubters. You just don't show it often enough and you don't realise it yourself. Show them how fantastic you are. It might not stop them hating, they might not like you even more, but they'll know that whatever they do, it's not gonna stop you because you are resilient. And they aren't.

I'd strongly advise you to read some of the things in the link below, including my own personal story. And thank you for motivating me today to actually do something, because this got me so angry (not at you, at the world) it's unbelievable.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/lif...ying-week-2017
    Thank you so much for your help :blush:, I like how you view this and your advice in particular. I honestly didn't know how to deal with my own feelings on it, so thanks again for giving me some kind of idea .

I do agree that exam results or qualifications are not very significant in the long run and normally when pinched about it, the pain doesn't last a long time. I do feel better after a few days already, and I am hoping that I can change myself for the better...now? :flutter:

To bring change is difficult, especially when the habit typically breaks after only a few days. I keep on hoping, but I never really do Nonetheless, my first school exams are coming around early February and I need to start studying today if I really want to have grades good enough to save myself.

Again...Thank you so much 04MR17! :flowers:

(I just realised that I forgotten to tag you on the first post of the year ---)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you so much for your help :blush:, I like how you view this and your advice in particular. I honestly didn't know how to deal with my own feelings on it, so thanks again for giving me some kind of idea .

I do agree that exam results or qualifications are not very significant in the long run and normally when pinched about it, the pain doesn't last a long time. I do feel better after a few days already, and I am hoping that I can change myself for the better...now? :flutter:

To bring change is difficult, especially when the habit typically breaks after only a few days. I keep on hoping, but I never really do Nonetheless, my first school exams are coming around early February and I need to start studying today if I really want to have grades good enough to save myself.

Again...Thank you so much 04MR17! :flowers:

(I just realised that I forgotten to tag you on the first post of the year ---)
    Very pleased to read this. Keep going, you can do this :rave:

Send me a PM if you need anything

ReputationRep:
    22nd January, Monday

Last year's AS results had just came out less than hour ago -- so I had gotten (bbcc). I knew I would retake everything this upcoming June ever since I had finished the exams, thus I was not disheartened in the slightest at all. Nonetheless, my mother was not pleased. My guardian had sort of accepted my grades, considering I have been telling her about my future plans constantly.

Interestingly, in comparison to 2016's threshold, 2017's was a grade higher. For example, a 92 is an (a) in 2016 but 92 is a (b) in 2017.

Today's entry is sort of short, but that's all this time.

ReputationRep:
    Very pleased to read this. Keep going, you can do this :rave:

Send me a PM if you need anything
    Got it!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    22nd January, Monday

Last year's AS results had just came out less than hour ago -- so I had gotten (bbcc). I knew I would retake everything this upcoming June ever since I had finished the exams, thus I was not disheartened in the slightest at all. Nonetheless, my mother was not pleased. My guardian had sort of accepted my grades, considering I have been telling her about my future plans constantly.

Interestingly, in comparison to 2016's threshold, 2017's was a grade higher. For example, a 92 is an (a) in 2016 but 92 is a (b) in 2017.

Today's entry is sort of short, but that's all this time.
    Those are actually really good grades for year 12. Keep being fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Those are actually really good grades for year 12. Keep being fantastic.
    Awwww.. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    3rd February, Saturday

Overall, this week had been alright. I was on sick leave from school for 4 days last week and at the moment, I currently have a lot of homework and practicals to catch up on. Being ill was miserable for me because I kept having antibiotic-associated diarrhoea. It had killed off quite an amount of digesting bacteria in my stomach, leaving me only able to actually ingest a tiny bit of food per day. I lost 4 ~ 5kg in that period of time.

Aside from that, yesterday there was a university study fair from the UK, Singapore, Malaysia, and Australia. The universities from Australia had caught my interest, to be more specific, it was the University of Melbourne and University of New South Wales (UNSW). Their requirements for medicine is sort of high; for three A-level subjects, getting an A* at least is necessary to fulfil the points needed. But if you take four A-level subjects, an AAAB can satisfy the points required.

I was actually thinking of whether or not to drop physics, though after hearing that I don't think I will. Plus, I have found the A2 syllabus to be easier for me than in AS becuase the questions are much more specific. I feel that the AS one is pretty general.

It is already confirmed that I would re-sit my AS exams this May, and since my exam-board is CIE -- it is necessary for the final grade (50%-50%). Hopefully I would do well. At the moment I am still thinking of how should I manage everything and how my schedule should look like.

On the other hand, I am also joining this debate event in March, but there will be training sessions this month. The format is alike to the UN's, and I was given to represent Greece for the Political comittee. Right now my knowledge on the country in particular is...stunted, and I have just read through the procedures. It is complicated and very formal. Apparently, knowing the Parliament procedures and sorts is required.

Yes, there is a lot I need to work on around this time. I shall do all of it, this time.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.