Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Venture to Uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

Azzie's Adventure to University
    2017 ~ 2018

Welcome to my first Grow Your Grades thread! I am Azzie (Azizah), a fellow Bruneian sitting the grand A-levels (CIE) in 2018 - and perhaps, may re-sit the AS exams again in June. As of 10th November, I am still in the middle of the AS exams but I am aware that my results would not be what I am hoping for.

The subjects I take:

• Physics (AS + A2)
    • Chemistry (AS + A2)
    • Biology (AS + A2)
    • Mathematics (AS + A2)
    • General Paper: international (AS)

About my O-levels; I did not attend a great school in particular (the average was extremely low), but had shockingly gotten 6 A's and 3 B's. My highest mark was a PUM of 88% for biology, whereas the lowest was a PUM of 70% for additional mathematics.

Compare to my progress in the past year, I would say that I did and still do way better in my sixth form. I used to get a low score of 52%, yet that was the highest in my school and I was struggling a lot. Now, however, I was not even anywhere close to failing any of my subjects (no E's at all) - which makes me very happy. Though I need to continue to jump and improve at much greater lengths.

As for my aspirations ...

In terms of academia, I really want to attempt to achieve A*'s (for the first time). I have not thought much regarding universities, but my own ideas for higher education are vast: politics, economics, biology, physics, etc.

Aside from that, I want to further grow into someone that is helpful, genuinely speaking. For that to happen I need to be very knowledgeable and capable. There are a lot of things I want to do, but I suppose that can be saved for another time

It is my childhood dream to become a teacher, but I think I would end up doing a different job - though as long as I can help anyone grow, I am very satisfied :heart:

(..I hope that I would upload often..)

est. November 2017

................................ ...........

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Please keep me updated.:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    :woo: Please keep me updated.:teeth:
    Ok! I will figure out how I can do that
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wifd149)
    Ok! I will figure out how I can do that
    Copy and paste this into the bottom of your next post:
    [spoiler][QUOTE=04MR17]x[/QUOTE][/spoiler]

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting, I wish you the best of luck with your journey and your aspirations!

ReputationRep:
    #1 (Monday)13th November,

Hello again! It is night time here, around 7:51 pm. Tomorrow I am having my AS Biology Paper 1 exam in the morning, I hope I can do well...somehow. I do feel somewhat hopeless about my AS exam honestly, especially towards biology and physics. The reason being is that this year's Oct/Nov Paper 2's had been the easiest paper that I have done so far and that makes me quite anxiuos about it - because an easy paper only means a super high threshold mark for an A. Furthermore, I have learnt that the difference between an A and a B is very small, for example this year's May/June Paper 1 for Physics: an A was a 27 and a B was at least a 24. I am not hopeful of my future result.

Regardless, I would still do what I can before the exam. After that, I have an AS Physics Paper 1 on Thursday morning, which is the last exam paper I am going to sit this year.

So, tonight I am just going to look through the chapters briefly and really look into the areas where I normally make careless mistakes. I am done with practicing the past year papers this afternoon. Perhaps after my exams are over I can make this thread a bit more fun :bee:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wifd149)
    #1(Monday)13th November,

Hello again! It is night time here, around 7:51 pm. Tomorrow I am having my AS Biology Paper 1 exam in the morning, I hope I can do well...somehow. I do feel somewhat hopeless about my AS exam honestly, especially towards biology and physics. The reason being is that this year's Oct/Nov Paper 2's had been the easiest paper that I have done so far and that makes me quite anxiuos about it - because an easy paper only means a super high threshold mark for an A. Furthermore, I have learnt that the difference between an A and a B is very small, for example this year's May/June Paper 1 for Physics: an A was a 27 and a B was at least a 24. I am not hopeful of my future result.

Regardless, I would still do what I can before the exam. After that, I have an AS Physics Paper 1 on Thursday morning, which is the last exam paper I am going to sit this year.

So, tonight I am just going to look through the chapters briefly and really look into the areas where I normally make careless mistakes. I am done with practicing the past year papers this afternoon. Perhaps after my exams are over I can make this thread a bit more fun :bee:
    Attitude is more important than ability. Staying calm is better than being super-prepared and super-nervous.:yep:

You've got this.
    Stay strong.
    You're awesome.
    :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Attitude is more important than ability. Staying calm is better than being super-prepared and super-nervous.:yep:

You've got this.
    Stay strong.
    You're awesome.
    :heart:
    That's true Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    #2Making permanent changes for 2018 (and from now on):fuhrer:

Hello once more! As of today my first AS exam season has ended and I am only left with 10 more school days left. In Brunei, our school year normally starts in January and ends on the 30th November - leaving the whole month of December as a holiday. The remaining school days are used to begin the syllabi for A2, so it is around the best time to start my new resolutions for the events in the following year. Looking back, I did accomplished my old goals: I had an above average grades consistently throughout exams and tests, I had learnt to run as a sport and gotten myself selected for sports day (but had unfortunately gotten sick and had to forfeit), and I normally submitted most of my homework.

The real beginning for my adventure to university starts now!

There would be many major events happening in 2018 and loads of exams involved. As I have mentioned before, I might re-take my AS exams once more in May/June and depending on what courses I would like to apply to, there will be some entrance tests as well - in addition to the school's internal assessments. I am still unsure of what I want to do for undergraduate, but the ones I am considering seriously are economics, international relations, natural sciences (physics or biology), accounting, and medicine as a last choice.

It is a busy year ahead, and I ought to find out how my new schedule will be and how I can work it out. Aside from that, I have a couple of lists on the goals I would like to accomplish this December and next year, of multiple catergories. However, the most important ones are:
    1. Have a proper sleep schedule for at least 6 hours. I really want to avoid falling ill a lot and insufficient sleep easily causes me to have fevers.
    2. Study hard; study 24/7 as much and as healthily as I can truly do. Although I had drastic improvement this year, I can tell there were still times that I waste too much time.
    3. Get all the work experience and volunteering work for my future personal statement this late Novemeber ~ entire month of December.
    4. Start studying today and throughout the holidays.
    5. I need 4A* and I want A*'s this year!

In terms of character and as a student, I would like to be...
    • a pro at studying - I need to begin my past year preperation way early. Plus, study for my AS too.

There are many things I have learnt about the top students in my school; the one that is always number one with 91%+ across his subjects is a super hard-working boy. Same goes to the girl with a 98% in chemistry. They had done almost all, if not all, of the past year papers and had begun since early of the year. I'll see how far can I go with that :ahee: (I hope I can still be alive)
    • very disciplined and hard-working.

Same for the previous reason too. And I need to get a hold of my sleep.
    • (have) a skill in talking and conversing like a diplomat and a royal queen.

Watching some shows on the old days like Black Butler (anime) really demonstrates how far one can go with being able to converse in a posh and tactical manner, and I would love to know how to casually throw in compliments and double-edged comments. I just find it an incredible ability to have.
    • an intellectual.

I feel satisfaction when I can contribute a lot to almost anything, so I am hoping to read a lot more journals and other extra tests relevant to the undergraduate subject I would like to study and many non-fictional books, than novels this upcoming year.
    • a true strategist at heart.

"Exams will be nice to you, if you be nice to your studies."

'Till next post.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :party:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.