The Student Room Group

What are the biggest problems with TSR's mobile site?

We've spent a lot of time building our new app this year and now we're planning on doing some work to improve the mobile site further.

To help us do that, please can you let me know what you think the biggest technical problems are with our mobile site (not the app)?

What gets in the way of you using the forums and threads?

Does the text editor work ok?

Is it slow loading?

What do you think of the design and layout?

What do you think of the notification menu?

Please share any and all thoughts, and remember we're talking about just the mobile site here, not the app.

Scroll to see replies

Can’t find a delete button on edit post
Text editor is still slow and some of the pages aren't responsive yet i.e. profile pages (though I understand that's more a vB limitation than anything else). Apart from that, nothing's up with it as far as I'm concerned...
Reply 3
Mostly fine, I personally would want to see the options to bold/italic/underline text rather than having to type the tags out in plain text.

I don't think I've ever used the "write a message..." box that follows you around.

P.S. I don't think the time on your servers has gone back by an hour yet... the timestamps are still an hour ahead.
Original post by UWS
P.S. I don't think the time on your servers has gone back by an hour yet... the timestamps are still an hour ahead.

You must log out and then back in again to fix that. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Paracosm
You must log out and then back in again to fix that. :smile:

Ah that fixed it, cheers!
Text editor is still slow and some of the pages aren't responsive yet i.e. profile pages (though I understand that's more a vB limitation than anything else). Apart from that, nothing's up with it as far as I'm concerned...

It's interesting, because when we compare the mobile site to the desktop and app, the activity from all members is much less. So it feels like something must be up with the mobile site to be causing that? It's always been like it.
Original post by Captain Jack
It's interesting, because when we compare the mobile site to the desktop and app, the activity from all members is much less. So it feels like something must be up with the mobile site to be causing that? It's always been like it.

As always with stats, my usual response is:

I guess people act in a strange way... there could of course be something I'm missing, though! The main thing that stops me using the mobile site much in the way of content is TSR's editor. :redface:
The option to edit your profile and change your profile pic and message others more easily

Interesting, just this morning I was trying to use the mobile site in bed - out of frustration I quit, and forced myself to go downstairs and grab my laptop.

Mobile site is really slow. Pages take much longer to load than average for mobile browsing (and this is on a top of the range phone). In particular, it's very cumbersome attempting to post/reply to messages on the mobile site. Again, takes too long to load, the cursor is glitchy, it's just not very user friendly.

Original post by gummybears
Interesting, just this morning I was trying to use the mobile site in bed - out of frustration I quit, and forced myself to go downstairs and grab my laptop.

Mobile site is really slow. Pages take much longer to load than average for mobile browsing (and this is on a top of the range phone). In particular, it's very cumbersome attempting to post/reply to messages on the mobile site. Again, takes too long to load, the cursor is glitchy, it's just not very user friendly.

Original post by UWS
Mostly fine, I personally would want to see the options to bold/italic/underline text rather than having to type the tags out in plain text.

I don't think I've ever used the "write a message..." box that follows you around.

Sounds like on top of wanting more options in it, the text editor is not working very well?
Reply 11
I don't come here very often anymore, but it's quite buggy on my iPhone. I have constant scrolling problems with it constantly jumping around inconsistently. For instance, I might scroll down a smidgen and then it jumps upwards by a big amount, and if I then continue scrolling down it might jump back down into place. All in all, it's quite erratic.

Another issue is when the navbar completely disappears on my phone. When scrolling back up a page, it gets a bit jumpy but then I get to the top with no navbar. I have to do another more aggressive pull down of the page when already up at the top to force it to show, and it pops into view a bit inelegantly. The scrolling issues seem to be to do with how this is handled. Of course, this may be a wider issue: because I think the intention is for the navbar to always stay stuck to the top of the view, which it almost never does on mobile.

I still have problems with the speed of the text editor, but I get this on my Mac as well.

I do still prefer using the mobile site than the app though!
Sounds like on top of wanting more options in it, the text editor is not working very well?

Yeah, the text editor has never worked well for me. I usually give up on it, type what I want to say in Notes and just paste it.
Whenever I scroll up the whole menu gets in the way of the screen so I have to scroll up a lot more to read what I wanted to.
Original post by Jarred
I don't come here very often anymore, but it's quite buggy on my iPhone. I have constant scrolling problems with it constantly jumping around inconsistently. For instance, I might scroll down a smidgen and then it jumps upwards by a big amount, and if I then continue scrolling down it might jump back down into place. All in all, it's quite erratic.

Another issue is when the navbar completely disappears on my phone. When scrolling back up a page, it gets a bit jumpy but then I get to the top with no navbar. I have to do another more aggressive pull down of the page when already up at the top to force it to show, and it pops into view a bit inelegantly. The scrolling issues seem to be to do with how this is handled. Of course, this may be a wider issue: because I think the intention is for the navbar to always stay stuck to the top of the view, which it almost never does on mobile.

I still have problems with the speed of the text editor, but I get this on my Mac as well.

I do still prefer using the mobile site than the app though!

Hola! :smile: thanks for this, sounds crazy on your phone!
What is it about the mobile site you prefer to the app?

I think that's something which could be improved, yes.

Although, it's worth noting how complex the desktop user interface is. There is so much information coming at you from all areas of the screen, and so many options for different links to click on.

It's very difficult to feel as engaged with what the website has to offer when using the mobile interface. There just isn't as much on the screen. Navigating the website as a whole just feels quite - i'll use that word again - cumbersome. Unless I am looking to check a specific thread for updates, I'm much less likely to explore the site on mobile, or just do general browsing. For this reason, for me, TSR is likely always going to be much more attractive to use on desktop rather than mobile (I've got no experience of the app, so I can't comment).

If I offer comparison to a website like Facebook, I'd say their mobile interface (although still probably the least preferable way to use the site) is more user friendly than TSR's. I don't doubt that this is partially just because FB have invested way more money in web design and the technology used is more sophisticated. But also, I think it's the fact that everything appears as a consistent stream of information - like one long timeline of posts and pictures - which makes the whole content of what the site has to offer seem relatively accessible. All you really have to do is scroll down, which is pretty user friendly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Attachments sent from a mobile device, are formatted such that the horizontal scroll bar must be used to read them when using a PC.
Original post by gummybears
I think that's something which could be improved, yes.

Although, it's worth noting how complex the desktop user interface is. There is so much information coming at you from all areas of the screen, and so many options for different links to click on.

It's very difficult to feel as engaged with what the website has to offer when using the mobile interface. There just isn't as much on the screen. Navigating the website as a whole just feels quite - i'll use that word again - cumbersome. Unless I am looking to check a specific thread for updates, I'm much less likely to explore the site on mobile, or just do general browsing. For this reason, for me, TSR is likely always going to be much more attractive to use on desktop rather than mobile (I've got no experience of the app, so I can't comment).

If I offer comparison to a website like Facebook, I'd say their mobile interface (although still probably the least preferable way to use the site) is more user friendly than TSR's. I don't doubt that this is partially just because FB have invested way more money in web design and the technology used is more sophisticated. But also, I think it's the fact that everything appears as a consistent stream of information - like one long timeline of posts and pictures - which makes the whole content of what the site has to offer seem relatively accessible. All you really have to do is scroll down, which is pretty user friendly.

That is a very good point. Love that idea.

So if we were to do one thing, do you think working on that should be it?
That is a very good point. Love that idea.

So if we were to do one thing, do you think working on that should be it?

Yes, I'd say so - perhaps reduce use of hyperlinks and increase scroll-ability, if possible.

Also, another minor bit of feedback. Might just be me, but I'd like it if the arrow which enables you to move to the last page of a thread was bigger/easier to click on. Find it a little tricky on mobile. Also, if the 'go to first unread post' button was more conspicuous. I suppose this goes for the desktop site as well, but it's kind of hidden under the 'tools' link, and it's an incredibly important shortcut - as I said before, most of the time when I use the mobile site, I'm looking to check a thread for updates
Sometimes when you leave and return to the app the keyboard will keep glitching out and pop up and disappear repeatedly making it impossible to edit or send a post.

Quick Reply

Latest