Turn on thread page Beta

Social Work Placement In Primary School watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Is anyone else doing or have done a Social work Placement in a primary school? I'm the only onsite trainee social worker and I feel as though the other staff may not understand my role. A lot of the work I have been doing is TA work; I sometimes feel like a counsellor or mentor. I am struggling to find relevant social work activities to do with the children. Can anyone share what work they are doing have a done with children in a social work placement please. Thanks, good luck with your placements!

ReputationRep:
    Hi hun, maybe speak to your placement manager or speak to someone on site that has a job similar to your role? There is bound to be children they have concerns about so try to be a bit more proactive in that sense to get the ball rolling. Once you assume that position they may start too understand you and why you're there a bit more. Try speaking to teachers about the students and maybe any they have any particular concerns about. Are you the only social worker full stop or are there others? (sorry sounds like a daft question) but either way there's a lot of potential in this it sounds like; just be confident in yourself and be proactive. You aren't there to be a TA, you're a social worker so even if it's just a case of children needing more support that would be relevant to your role, you should jump right in. I could be totally wrong but just trying to help, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    sorry! only just seen how old this post is ffs loool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.