Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of going into nursing. I've always been really interested in healthcare and nursing appeals to me because you help people every day, you work in a team and there are so many things you can do with nursing. So I decided to get a job as a care assistant to get experience, both for the UCAS application and to see if it's actually something I'd enjoy and I'm conflicted now...

I like working with our residents and helping them. I don't mind some of the less glamorous parts of the job like taking people to the toilet. But I'm really not enjoying it. Having had no prior care experience, I knew there would be a lot to learn and I expected to be a bit overwhelmed. But I've been there for weeks and there's still so much I'm confused about. I get told to do things different ways by different people, told to do 3 different things at once by 3 different colleagues, asked to do things I've never done or seen done before.

I think part of it is that the training isn't great. I got manual handling training so now I can do what other care assistants are allowed to do. But besides that, it's just been learning on the job. Which I wouldn't mind if people actually taught me stuff or if there was some consistency in what different people taught me. And I want to give residents more attention than I have time for so they feel comfortable and have more dignity or human interaction. Lots of the care assistants shout at residents, which doesn't seem right to me. It really bothers me that most of them sit in their chairs all day, every day with nothing to do. I feel like a liability. I know the other care assistants will be talking about me (they talk about everyone else) and this isn't the sort of environment I want to work in for the rest of my career.

I'm thinking of getting a job at a different care home because I think it might just be this environment I don't like. But right now I don't know if I'll like nursing or not. It's really confusing. I want the best for my residents and I want to treat them with compassion and dignity, which I thought were good qualities for a nurse, but where I work now, those traits aren't what will get work done quickly. I'm finding it really stressful and dreading every shift.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or got any advice? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwen43)
    Hi, I'm thinking of going into nursing. I've always been really interested in healthcare and nursing appeals to me because you help people every day, you work in a team and there are so many things you can do with nursing. So I decided to get a job as a care assistant to get experience, both for the UCAS application and to see if it's actually something I'd enjoy and I'm conflicted now...

I like working with our residents and helping them. I don't mind some of the less glamorous parts of the job like taking people to the toilet. But I'm really not enjoying it. Having had no prior care experience, I knew there would be a lot to learn and I expected to be a bit overwhelmed. But I've been there for weeks and there's still so much I'm confused about. I get told to do things different ways by different people, told to do 3 different things at once by 3 different colleagues, asked to do things I've never done or seen done before.

I think part of it is that the training isn't great. I got manual handling training so now I can do what other care assistants are allowed to do. But besides that, it's just been learning on the job. Which I wouldn't mind if people actually taught me stuff or if there was some consistency in what different people taught me. And I want to give residents more attention than I have time for so they feel comfortable and have more dignity or human interaction. Lots of the care assistants shout at residents, which doesn't seem right to me. It really bothers me that most of them sit in their chairs all day, every day with nothing to do. I feel like a liability. I know the other care assistants will be talking about me (they talk about everyone else) and this isn't the sort of environment I want to work in for the rest of my career.

I'm thinking of getting a job at a different care home because I think it might just be this environment I don't like. But right now I don't know if I'll like nursing or not. It's really confusing. I want the best for my residents and I want to treat them with compassion and dignity, which I thought were good qualities for a nurse, but where I work now, those traits aren't what will get work done quickly. I'm finding it really stressful and dreading every shift.

It sounds like your current place doesn't really have a good training system in place. Working in care homes isn't easy, you have to be patient and warm towards the residents but at the same time, you must juggle this with working quickly and effectively. It can cause some carers to be short with patients, but this is something that the management needs to keep an eye on - making sure their workers are trained and can do their jobs and that the patients are well looked after.

It may be that you would find it a better experience at another care home, where the staff are more professional and the training system is monitored.

i'm in exactly the same position as you. I'm only really doing it for the experience. I'm scared of doing something wrong because I haven't been properly trained but i'm also scared of being too slow... I don't have a lot of confidence in this job because I don't feel 100% in what i'm doing

ReputationRep:
    Hello both of you!

I started as a Care Worker in August of this year for similar reasons to both of you - I'm applying to medicine and wanted experience of providing care to people. In the few weeks and even couple of months I dreaded every single shift I had, and hated basically most of it. I had not been trained particularly and people just seemed to assume I would know how things worked. I was always being told to do things a million different ways, no one explained even basic things to me and it was overwhelming in the extreme. I was planning to quit by this time of year. But it does get better! Every day is different and there are always going to be days when things are awful (such as the day when a lady fell as I was helping her get ready and had to go to hospital) but there will be loads of great moments. I get very little time to spend with residents still but I take every opportunity to spend time with them I can and make a special effort when I'm helping them get ready particularly. Every day you will grow more confident and feel more comfortable around the residents and staff.

Also I would like to reassure you that not loving this doesn't mean you won't be an excellent nurse. I promise you most care homes are like this as well, and so changing care home likely wouldn't work. You have got this though, and you can do it, just take every day at a time and don't be afraid to say no. People would ask me to do a million jobs and palm off tasks onto me that I didn't know how to do or simply weren't my job. Decide where your line is (for example I don't actually mind doing some of the jobs, like taking out the waste and laundry, but I don't want to get up the majority of people in the morning whilst the other person gets up like three people) and draw it. Any more advuce or anything else let me know, and don't be afraid to drop me a message either if you wanna vent or whatever!

Best of luck and sorry this was so long! x

(Original post by laurenjake)
    x
    x

(Original post by laurenjake)
    i'm in exactly the same position as you. I'm only really doing it for the experience. I'm scared of doing something wrong because I haven't been properly trained but i'm also scared of being too slow... I don't have a lot of confidence in this job because I don't feel 100% in what i'm doing
    Stuck at it and i feel a lot more confident. Thought a few times at the start I was for leaving the job due to bad shifts but i'm glad I stayed!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you're happier now and you stuck with it. I quit after a month, it was stressing me out too much. I just couldn't stand the attitudes of some of the staff and not knowing what I was doing. But, things are going really well now! I'm working as a HCA at a hospital and although it's even busier and a bit mad, I love it. I got loads of training and am constantly learning new things. The other staff are amazing and welcoming and they work so hard. Even though they're always busy, they're happy for me to ask as many questions as I need. And they're so patient and kind to the patients. It's not a chore or an inconvenience to get people up in the morning, or leave them for a while if they want a lie in. And we try to get patients to do things for themselves where they can, even if it takes longer. They actually have compassion for the patients, while also being supportive of other staff. I'm now applying for a nursing course and can't wait!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.