Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCAS deadline for me in one week... and I don't know what I'm doing... Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, my college wants UCAS completed for next week and I am in the tricky situation of not knowing what course I want to do or university. The only thing I do know is that I want to go to university.

Last year I was dead set on English LIterature at Leeds Uni, but my English teacher this year has changed and since September I've not been feeling as confident. I get my essays back and there is no positive feedback and I know I'm probably being soft (and this is how it will be at Uni), but it has made me think that I am not choosing the right course. If I can't do it at A-level, then what chance do I have at Uni?
    I've also been looking at East Asian Studies and Anthropolgy, because I find culture interesting? But my family doesn't think it will lead to a job...
    I asked my English teacher to read my personal statement to give me tips and she said that she would, "very quickly" and acted shocked that I wanted to take it to degree level.
    Tbh I think she hates me...
    I haven't read much since leaving High School and I feel like I'm filling my personal statement with lies ("I enjoy deciphering long speeches in 16th century plays"... T.T).
    Uni wise? Terrified. Leeds is meant to be a 'party uni' and I don't do parties... But, I think that if I don't go to university in September then I will never bother getting my degree out of fear.

So basically I'm having an existential crisis which needs sorting by Friday- any suggestions?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariomal)
    So, my college wants UCAS completed for next week and I am in the tricky situation of not knowing what course I want to do or university. The only thing I do know is that I want to go to university.

Last year I was dead set on English LIterature at Leeds Uni, but my English teacher this year has changed and since September I've not been feeling as confident. I get my essays back and there is no positive feedback and I know I'm probably being soft (and this is how it will be at Uni), but it has made me think that I am not choosing the right course. If I can't do it at A-level, then what chance do I have at Uni?
    I've also been looking at East Asian Studies and Anthropolgy, because I find culture interesting? But my family doesn't think it will lead to a job...
    I asked my English teacher to read my personal statement to give me tips and she said that she would, "very quickly" and acted shocked that I wanted to take it to degree level.
    I haven't read much since leaving High School and I feel like I'm filling my personal statement with lies ("I enjoy deciphering long speeches in 16th century plays"... T.T).
    Uni wise? Terrified. Leeds is meant to be a 'party uni' and I don't do parties... But, I think that if I don't go to university in September then I will never bother getting my degree out of fear.

So basically I'm having an existential crisis which needs sorting by Friday- any suggestions?
    It's entirely up to you when, and to who, you apply. The standard deadline is 15th Jan. Anything earlier is just an internal college deadline to "encourage" their students not to leave things too late.

And there's always the option of taking a gap year to take more time to consider what you really want to do. There's no rule that everyone has to go to university... or has to do it straight after Y13.

Take your time. Don't be rushed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariomal)

I know this might be too late, but hopefully it might help anyway:
    First off, I was in the exact same position as you and made some big mistakes. My A level results were ****, I was struggling with life and work at the same time. My A level results weren't that great at all. The highest grade I got was a C at history, which best I was doing.

The college pressured me to apply for that, so I did. Not that enthusiastic about the course nor that great at it, I did it. I applied for it. The main reason I did it was because my only friends were going to the same uni and one was doing the same course. In retrospect, this was a horrible idea. I regret it, but enjoy living away from home a lot.

In your personal statement, for the love of all that is holy, don't lie in your personal statement and avoid saying things like "ever since I was little I wanted to do..". Saying you like deciphering long speeches is a very obvious lie, just say you're passionate, you want to pursue it further and you find it all interesting. If you put stuff like that, it'll only lower your chances. Look online for advice. (<- click that)

My biggest regret was the course choice. Don't get me wrong, it isn't insufferable, but it does get very boring at times. Not even that makes me feel bad, I just feel *****y for not doing STEM. My career prospects as a historian are godawful compared to computer science. For some reason I didn't do IT at A level and only got 280 UCAS points instead of 300, so I couldn't do IT.

If you're going to uni, only pick a course that has great career prospects now and that the market hires people who do this. (Forensic science, for example, is a horrible idea! Too many people do it and the industry even tells people to not do it and do something else!) English degrees won't get you too far in life. I'm not sure about East Asian studies...

If you don't feel like going to uni, take a gap year. You can always go in next year and it gives you the opportunity to do work. After experiencing working life, you might not want to even go to uni anymore. Who knows?

Uni isn't "for smart people" anymore. Trust me, I'm there. There's a lot of idiots here. And I'm not a smart person and I'm here anyway, I'm one of 'em. Your life isn't over if you don't go to uni. College will pressure you into going so it makes their league tables better, don't feel like you have to go to uni if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your advice
    I decided to apply for English literature, Comparative literature and English literature (different unis) with a year out in the end. This I hope will still leave me with options if I have another existensial crisis closer to XD
    I spoke with my English Teacher and she went through my personal statement with me and I feel a lot more confident about taking it at degree level now. I think I just had a panic? A loss of confidence at how fast everything was happening.
    Now I have made my choices, I know what to work on to make sure I improve my grades and get into those Russel Group unis....... and if I don't make my grades, I'll redo the year.
    Ahhhhh- I hate how my college has forced it on us so early (a couple of my friends have just punted for a subject as well), but I think I have made the right choice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.