Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me.

I am a third year EU student and, as bad luck would have it, a Migrant Worker too. I have been granted Maintenance Loan and Grant during my second year of university and, after a year out, I've applied for a Maintenance Loan for third year. My application was successfully admitted and accepted, giving me the full Maintenance Loan and Grant. I have sent in the evidence of my employment and September payslip that arrived at the Migrant Worker office on the 2nd of October and I've been told that the evidence is all correct and I don't have to send anything else in. However since then my payments have been blocked. I have called Student Finance several times and each time I was given a different day that the payments of my loan and grant will be processed. It started with the 8th November, then followed with the 17th and lastly, when I called in this morning, I was told that actually it's been pushed till the 21st of November but it's not certain that this is the last delay.
    Now, the whole idea behind Maintenance Loan is that it would help me pay for living and studying expenses that I financially can't cover with my ever so low salary. I understand that I am not the only person waiting to get paid but what I don't understand is how Student Finance can keep changing the time the Loan will be paid into my account without even the slightest indication that it might take this much time. I am on the verge of being unable to pay my bills, all because my online account says that the expected date for my payment should be the 4th of October.

Should I be expecting even more delays and therefore take out another bank loan to cover the time I am not receiving my Student Finance loan?

It is deeply disappointing and frustrating and I hope it will be resolved soon.

All the best,

Magdalena
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by depthsoftheocean)
    Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me.

I am a third year EU student and, as bad luck would have it, a Migrant Worker too. I have been granted Maintenance Loan and Grant during my second year of university and, after a year out, I've applied for a Maintenance Loan for third year. My application was successfully admitted and accepted, giving me the full Maintenance Loan and Grant. I have sent in the evidence of my employment and September payslip that arrived at the Migrant Worker office on the 2nd of October and I've been told that the evidence is all correct and I don't have to send anything else in. However since then my payments have been blocked. I have called Student Finance several times and each time I was given a different day that the payments of my loan and grant will be processed. It started with the 8th November, then followed with the 17th and lastly, when I called in this morning, I was told that actually it's been pushed till the 21st of November but it's not certain that this is the last delay.
    Now, the whole idea behind Maintenance Loan is that it would help me pay for living and studying expenses that I financially can't cover with my ever so low salary. I understand that I am not the only person waiting to get paid but what I don't understand is how Student Finance can keep changing the time the Loan will be paid into my account without even the slightest indication that it might take this much time. I am on the verge of being unable to pay my bills, all because my online account says that the expected date for my payment should be the 4th of October.

Should I be expecting even more delays and therefore take out another bank loan to cover the time I am not receiving my Student Finance loan?

It is deeply disappointing and frustrating and I hope it will be resolved soon.

All the best,

Magdalena
    Hi Magdalena,

I do understand your frustration, we can only advise you of the estimated timescales based on the current workload, the timescales have increased lately due to the volume of migrant worker evidence being received.

As an EU student, once you provide evidence of your continued employment, we are able to pay you the additional support for living costs as well as the tuition fee.

You stated that your evidence was received on October 2

The current processing timescales is 36 working days

That means your evidence will be reviewed by an assessor by November 21 and your online account updated by November 22

Once accepted, you can be confident that your payment will be unblocked and payment submitted, it takes three to five

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Could you tell me if there's been any change in the processing timescales? Is it still 36 days?

Many thanks,

Magda

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I’m exactly in the same situation as Magda. I applied in June got approved the first data of my maintenance loan has on 25 sept know in the application it says 25 October . I called Student Finance England and they said that it got delayed, they told me a data on which I will get my maintenance loan in to my account and know I struggle with rent and other expenses my agency cut me from the full time sheet to part time and even so they ‘re not giving me even the part time h. I’m in debt know borrowing money from friends. I ask you is this good. All I want it to do is study to make something of myself and with all this in my head and how is this even possible. I understand the delays but I’m waiting approved for 3 mounths and I have send my payslips of September on time. Please give me a solution.Kind Regards, Mihai

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by depthsoftheocean)
    Hi Rona,

Could you tell me if there's been any change in the processing timescales? Is it still 36 days?

Many thanks,

Magda
    Hi Magda,

Yes, it is currently 36 working days.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMihai)
    Hello, I’m exactly in the same situation as Magda. I applied in June got approved the first data of my maintenance loan has on 25 sept know in the application it says 25 October . I called Student Finance England and they said that it got delayed, they told me a data on which I will get my maintenance loan in to my account and know I struggle with rent and other expenses my agency cut me from the full time sheet to part time and even so they ‘re not giving me even the part time h. I’m in debt know borrowing money from friends. I ask you is this good. All I want it to do is study to make something of myself and with all this in my head and how is this even possible. I understand the delays but I’m waiting approved for 3 mounths and I have send my payslips of September on time. Please give me a solution.Kind Regards, Mihai
    Hi Mihai,

It is currently 36 working days to process this kind of evidence. When you will see any updates depends on when we received your evidence.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Hey Magda?Any luck/updates with your loan? Can you see any changes online yet?I was told my evidence/payslip should be assessed by today so hoping I will see my payment is on its way by tomorrow! ThanksBest, Jiri

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.