OCR vs. AQA for A-Level Sciences Watch

Schoolquestions
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm applying to different sixth forms, one offers Aqa Biology and chemistry and the other offers OCR.
Which is most challenging and why?
Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
id like to know this too! ive always valued aqa more but there’s a sixth form that’s very good for sciences offering ocr?
Schoolquestions
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
id like to know this too! ive always valued aqa more but there’s a sixth form that’s very good for sciences offering ocr?
yeah I wanna apply for LAE and they offer OCR sciences but my current GCSE exam board is AQA so I'm nervous it will be such a huge jump I won't be able to catch up (and this sixth form kicks you out if you don't get CCC minimum in year 12)
HeadHoncho
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Schoolquestions)
So I'm applying to different sixth forms, one offers Aqa Biology and chemistry and the other offers OCR.
Which is most challenging and why?
Thanks
I did OCR bio and AQA chem, and I found OCR bio to require a lot more detail than other specs when I looked at their papers, but I wouldn’t have done well in AQA bio because you have to do a weird essay and I’m lazy.

As for chem, I think AQA chem is one of the easiest, the transition metal stuff (some see as the most challenging) is significantly less in AQA than other specs I believe, making it oddly simpler
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did OCR GCSE and am currently in my second year of AQA Biology and Chemistry A Level and I can tell you there's not much of a jump if you change from one exam board to another! All that happened was when we'd cover one thing in a lesson I didn't know my friend would say they did at GCSE and sometimes there were things I had done and they hadn't. You should be taught everything you need to know regardless of whether it was covered at GCSE or not.

As for which is better, look at the specifications for both courses, past papers, grade boundaries and so on to make an informed decision. Personally I hate AQA just cause they're so picky in their mark schemes at times but I can't tell you whether or not OCR is like that so take my opinion with a (large) pinch of salt.
fhyrhfuef
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm currently doing my first year in AQA Bio, and although it's early to say, it is quite tricky, i'm failing just a bit :/. Also beware the 25 mark essay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads