Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eminem just dropped his new song Ft beyonce Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Beyoncé is rather known for stealing credits, or more accurately, buying them. She is said to be one of those who insists to have a writing credit on everything for business and image reasons. You can look up the demo to "Smash Into You", where she basically changed only a few words here and there, or the original "If I Were A Boy", where she allegedly "wrote" the harmonies to her cover version, and was subsequently taken off the credits when country queen Reba McEntire covered it..
    Interesting. I don't follow Beyonce or the like anywhere near close enough to know something like that but I had thought similar after seeing the personnel on her albums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Interesting. I don't follow Beyonce or the like anywhere near close enough to know something like that but I had thought similar after seeing the personnel on her albums.
    Apart from her claiming writing credits on covering "If I Were A Boy", there's also the fact that "Hold Up" was actually written 5 years prior to Beyoncé "writing" it, and that Sia sent "Pretty Hurts" to Dat Queen B who then purchased it (yet somehow King B is listed as a writer).

But it's quite common. Max Martin once said Avril Lavigne changed one word ("crappy" in "Complicated", and you can certainly see Lavigne's writing ability listening to the god-awful self-written "Alice". Ambassador Dr Céline Dion once complained about being forced to have her name down on the credits despite her not wanting to do it. Several Madonna songs sounded the same when they were demos (although with her, it's like half-half even these days). Many exaggerated their involvement as well, like how Miley Cyrus apparently claimed to have written "Wrecking Ball" for her fiancé, even though she's nowhere to be seen on the credits list.

There also are principled people like the original American Idol, Kelly Clarkson. She changed much of the lyrics to her record-breaking No 1 hit "My Life Would Suck Without You" but refused to take credits for it as she didn't want to be listed alongside the songwriter Dr. Luke, who she greatly disliked. There were also people like Christina Aguilera who were too ignorant to claim one for "Genie In A Bottle" despite writing the words to the second verse, because they didn't realize how things worked in the industry. Then there are people like Aryan Goddess Taylor "white-washing-Africa" Swift who basically writes entire songs before getting them edited by professional composers.

You get money from airplay and plays in restaurants etc as a songwriter, but not as a performer, and that gives you a steady stream of money, which is a big reason why many pop stars do that. Then there's also the image-enhancing thing.

Some have also claimed Justin Bieber and Kanye West both steal credits, but I find it difficult to believe the latter does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Apart from her claiming writing credits on covering "If I Were A Boy", there's also the fact that "Hold Up" was actually written 5 years prior to Beyoncé "writing" it, and that Sia sent "Pretty Hurts" to Dat Queen B who then purchased it (yet somehow King B is listed as a writer).

But it's quite common. Max Martin once said Avril Lavigne changed one word ("crappy" in "Complicated", and you can certainly see Lavigne's writing ability listening to the god-awful self-written "Alice". Ambassador Dr Céline Dion once complained about being forced to have her name down on the credits despite her not wanting to do it. Several Madonna songs sounded the same when they were demos (although with her, it's like half-half even these days). Many exaggerated their involvement as well, like how Miley Cyrus apparently claimed to have written "Wrecking Ball" for her fiancé, even though she's nowhere to be seen on the credits list.

There also are principled people like the original American Idol, Kelly Clarkson. She changed much of the lyrics to her record-breaking No 1 hit "My Life Would Suck Without You" but refused to take credits for it as she didn't want to be listed alongside the songwriter Dr. Luke, who she greatly disliked. There were also people like Christina Aguilera who were too ignorant to claim one for "Genie In A Bottle" despite writing the words to the second verse, because they didn't realize how things worked in the industry. Then there are people like Aryan Goddess Taylor "white-washing-Africa" Swift who basically writes entire songs before getting them edited by professional composers.

You get money from airplay and plays in restaurants etc as a songwriter, but not as a performer, and that gives you a steady stream of money, which is a big reason why many pop stars do that. Then there's also the image-enhancing thing.

Some have also claimed Justin Bieber and Kanye West both steal credits, but I find it difficult to believe the latter does.
    Lol Wtf is going on wait please back track and elaborate on the Celine Dion thing, why did she refuse? You know a lot about this. And I know I wrote a lot but who do you think beyonce should collab with?

And Aryan goddess? Why'd you quote whitewashing too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Lol Wtf is going on wait please back track and elaborate on the Celine Dion thing, why did she refuse? You know a lot about this. And I know I wrote a lot but who do you think beyonce should collab with?

And Aryan goddess? Why'd you quote whitewashing too?
    The Eurovision winner allegedly demanded up to 20% of the songwriting royalties so there was never a need to have her name listed, not to mention she never had the reputation of a singer-songwriter. But you know these are just rumours, so I can't say for sure. The only things we can know for certain are with the songs that's got demos floating online.

I don't think the Destiny's Child needs to collaborate with anyone else vocally. She's not a good hook singer because she oversings everything, and I don't think her vocal style compliments anyone else's. The trip worked only because it was basically Matthew Knowles's daughter with the rest as her backing singers.

If you mean in order to get a hit, well, then without considering the outcome of the actual music, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Adele may be able to get her a pop hit. In terms of buzz, a duet with Rihanna might generate some noise, and indeed RiRi never flops for more than a few months and is known to score multiple hits at the same time, but she's not a guaranteed hit either.

But who knows? Before this, one would think Em would get an automatic top-selling lead single, and now it's not even clear if his album's opening could even beat the "Look What You Made Me Do" musician's second week.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.