Turn on thread page Beta

Think I got hired for an ulterior motive, should I quit? watch

I graduated with a 2:2 over 5 years ago and secured my first job 2 months ago. I had no references and performed poorly at the interview yet got an email offering me the job the next day. I thought this was great so eagerly took the job. It's 9-5 monday to friday with very few holidays.

However, I don't really do much day to day. I don't understand why it's a full time job and why I'm getting paid. I also don't understand why they would hire me witout references and with a 2:2 and a massive gap in my CV.

I think that I have been given this job so that my house is empty during the day and they can bug it then collect the data while they know I am at work with no chance of coming home and catching them in the act. My work colleagues seem friendly but I don't discount them working against me as it could be an act to keep me in the job.

I don't really have good qualifcations and I'm shy and awkward at interviews so don't think I could get another job easily but with that in mind should I quit mine so I can thwart their plans or try to keep it up even though they're sneaking into my house every day?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You sound quite paranoid, do yo have any evidence to say they have ulterior motives? I'm sure they just wanted to give you a chance
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I graduated with a 2:2 over 5 years ago and secured my first job 2 months ago. I had no references and performed poorly at the interview yet got an email offering me the job the next day. I thought this was great so eagerly took the job. It's 9-5 monday to friday with very few holidays.

However, I don't really do much day to day. I don't understand why it's a full time job and why I'm getting paid. I also don't understand why they would hire me witout references and with a 2:2 and a massive gap in my CV.

I think that I have been given this job so that my house is empty during the day and they can bug it then collect the data while they know I am at work with no chance of coming home and catching them in the act. My work colleagues seem friendly but I don't discount them working against me as it could be an act to keep me in the job.

I don't really have good qualifcations and I'm shy and awkward at interviews so don't think I could get another job easily but with that in mind should I quit mine so I can thwart their plans or try to keep it up even though they're sneaking into my house every day?
    They hired you because they considered you could do the job. Congratulations, you've landed what seems to be an easy job. Make the most of it... but if you end up finding it a bit boring or not very challenging you can always either try to get a promotion, or apply elsewhere (whilst still doing the current job). But don't just walk away from this one, give it at least a year, preferably longer. That will strengthen your CV. And your self-confidence.

They aren't sneaking into your house.

ReputationRep:
    wow what were u doing for the last five years though?

also

are u seriously worried about them breaking into your house

i mean

why

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on your first job ! Do your best at it & forget about this bugging stuff.

(Original post by laurawatt)
    I'm sure they just wanted to give you a chance
    A chance no one else in 5 years was willing to give me? seems very suspicious.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    A chance no one else in 5 years was willing to give me? seems very suspicious.
    Nope. At some point in all the jobs you've applied for and interviews had, someone was going to offer you a job. That's now happened. Well done for being persistent.

No conspiracy theory needed.

And if you do want a conspiracy theory, why are you important enough for them to go to all these lengths? You're simply an ordinary person who's landed a job, look forward with enthusiasm, not suspicion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you working for the government doing some top-secret work? If not, then why on earth would they be coming into your home? You're totally paranoid. Just be happy you've got a good full-time job! Don't be suspicious. If you didn't get the job, you'd be whining that no-one ever gives you a chance. Now someone has so don't let them down by being all paranoid.

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Nope. At some point in all the jobs you've applied for and interviews had, someone was going to offer you a job. That's now happened. Well done for being persistent.

No conspiracy theory needed.

And if you do want a conspiracy theory, why are you important enough for them to go to all these lengths? You're simply an ordinary person who's landed a job, look forward with enthusiasm, not suspicion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not an "ordinary person", I've done things pissed off the wrong people, they want me dead but no questions asked what better way than make me look mentally ill than bug my house and play my conversations back in public places so I think I'm crazy no one blinks twice when a crazy guy kills himself. No inquiry. I have a newish car cut the brakes on that and it's obvious. They want to torment me first. And no one believes me that's more part of the mental torture.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao. I love this thread... *SUBSCRIBES*

ReputationRep:
    You should speak to somebody professional about your worries, go to your GP. Try to keep hold of the job if you can and then use that as a platform into a more challenging/rewarding job in the future.

ReputationRep:
    You honestly sound like need professional help to be honest, speak to your GP about a mental health referral.

No one is bugging your place, no one is out to kill you. You are paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    What's the job, and are they hiring?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you ask a friend to check in for you? Although I really doubt that there's any need to be worried.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

My old boss always went for the least experienced and shyest candidates, to give them an opportunity. And it worked wonders on me!

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    You honestly sound like need professional help to be honest, speak to your GP about a mental health referral.
    I see a psychiatrist and he's in on it. He encouraged me to apply for jobs and has been prescribing me poisons.

(Original post by SophieSmall)

No one is bugging your place, no one is out to kill you. You are paranoid.
    As I said:
    "what better way than make me look mentally ill .... no one blinks twice when a crazy guy kills himself. "

You're all just falling for it. And shame on the three people who repped you.

ReputationRep:

Are you on drugs or something?
    Why are you so paranoid?
    Who the hell would hire somebody for a job so they could sneak in their house and rob them blind?
    Did you ever think that maybe you performed better in the interview than you thought you did and maybe you showed potential so they overlooked your 2.2 degree. Anyway, a 2.2 is very good. Some people can't even pass a degree at all.
    A lot of people have gaps in the work history but still get jobs, did you explain the gaps? Maybe they accepted your explanation and thought 'let's give this person a chance.'

Think you need to see someone about being so paranoid to be honest. It's not normal.

(Original post by lil minx)
    Are you on drugs or something?
    Why are you so paranoid?
    Who the hell would hire somebody for a job so they could sneak in their house and rob them blind?
    Did you ever think that maybe you performed better in the interview than you thought you did and maybe you showed potential so they overlooked your 2.2 degree. Anyway, a 2.2 is very good. Some people can't even pass a degree at all.
    A lot of people have gaps in the work history but still get jobs, did you explain the gaps? Maybe they accepted your explanation and thought 'let's give this person a chance.'

Think you need to see someone about being so paranoid to be honest. It's not normal.
    No, I don't take any drugs.

They didn't hire me so they could rob me. :facepalm: They did it so they could bug my house and play back the conversations I have and narrate the stuff I do when I'm in public so I think I'm crazy and kill myself. Their whole purpose is to get rid of me; like I said no one cares when some crazy guy kills himself. They get the added bonus of the months of mental torment of me trying to keep it together and make people believe me when everyone is just telling me I'm paranoid. I haven't eaten or slept in a week THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. It's constant and unrelenting. Their plan is coming to fruition.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't take any drugs.

They didn't hire me so they could rob me. :facepalm: They did it so they could bug my house and play back the conversations I have and narrate the stuff I do when I'm in public so I think I'm crazy and kill myself. Their whole purpose is to get rid of me; like I said no one cares when some crazy guy kills himself. They get the added bonus of the months of mental torment of me trying to keep it together and make people believe me when everyone is just telling me I'm paranoid. I haven't eaten or slept in a week THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. It's constant and unrelenting. Their plan is coming to fruition.
    You are not crazy. People do care, never think that they don't. Take a breath and calm down. Go to where you feel safest. Talk through your concerns with someone you trust. A 2:2 is not a degree to be ashamed of! Be proud! You matter!!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.