The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into Oxford/Cambridge with average GCSE grades?

What are the chances of getting into Oxford/Cambridge with average GCSE grades? The successful applicants have an average of 7 A*s at GCSE, which I don't have. Im in my first year of college, taking maths, chemistry and biology a levels and already have an AS in a language (at an A grade) and hoping to go into uni to study a science based degree. I got about 1 A*, 4 As, and 5 Bs (maths and science I got B grades) . Is it unlikely I would get accepted even if I get A*A*A at a level?
Cambridge yes (given that your application is great otherwise), Oxford maybe not so.
Reply 2
Original post by ImprobableCacti
Cambridge yes (given that your application is great otherwise), Oxford maybe not so.

What makes a good application? And does the course option matter in regards to the importance of GCSE grades?
Better than mine OP and I managed it.

No-one on here can tell you your 'chances' because we don't know you, but you're not ruled out because of your GCSEs.

It's only one UCAS spot and you'll have no chance at all if you don't apply.
Original post by Rose2030
What makes a good application? And does the course option matter in regards to the importance of GCSE grades?

I'd say if you sure you're strong with predicted grades that meet the requirements and you're clearly interested in the course - you have a great shot!
Reply 5
People have to stop with these kind of posts. There are many aspects of a oxbridge application. GCSE, AS, Predicted grades, References, Extra written work, Personal Statement and internal exams. Also interview.
I know a lot of people who had average GCSE results but got in because other aspects of their application were very good.
Hence, don't stress over gcse's.
Reply 6
I got 5As , 4Bs and A C do I have a chance
Reply 7
Hey! This is probably a bit of a one-off but my friend was literally just interviewed at Oxford after getting NO A*s at GCSE. So it proves it is possible, the rest of his application must have been really strong.

For context, he applied for Philosophy and Theology and comes from a state school. I think he got mostly As and some Bs.

Cambridge is more likely, they value GCSEs less, but it is possible to get interviewed at least at Oxford with poorer GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest