Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does most of your money go on? Watch

• Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding I'm not being left with much money at the end of the month, so have been thinking about where my money is going. Where does most of your money go?

Mine seems to be:

1. Rent - so expensive now I'm not in a student house
    2. Bills - having to pay council tax etc. now, boo adulting :huff:
    3. Food - wow I spend too much money on food including my weekly shops, when I treat myself to buying lunch at work... and drinks on nights out
    4. Travel - all my spare money goes on holidays and weekends away :lol:

Any tips for helping money go further? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Mortgage, Bills, Food.

Out of your 4 its only really food and holidays you could cut back on. One seems the obvious answer..

ReputationRep:
    I calculate how much my bills, direct debits etc will cost each month and how much I would like to save and allocate a set amount for spending. I then withdraw all of the money I need in cash when I get paid, I allocate a set amount for food, petrol, misc items etc, and stick to it. I also don’t take my card with me anywhere. If I go into a shop and forget my food money, I leave the shop.

This is the only way I could reign in my frivolous spending and actually get my finances back on track.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    I'm finding I'm not being left with much money at the end of the month, so have been thinking about where my money is going. Where does most of your money go?

Mine seems to be:

3. Food - wow I spend too much money on food including my weekly shops, when I treat myself to buying lunch at work... and drinks on nights out

1. Rent - halls are a *****
    2. Food - Probably 15-20 pounds a week for all of my meals
    3. Miscellaneous expenses e.g. washing up liquid, washing tablets, using the washing machine, stationery etc.

Rest goes into my savings account. I'd like to think I run a pretty tight ship when it comes to money.

ReputationRep:
    I have cut down now, but mostly clothes, watches, belts and going out with the boys.

Money is really hard to get over at my end, I don't have the heart to ask my dad for more money which I always did when I was a piece of **** when I was younger, but, and I swear on my life, currently its been 3 months and I have managed to raise £15 in change through keeping the change when mum gives me money to buy eggs and milk at co-op (since the prices constantly vary). Cant wait till i grow up and can actually work. I hope to make amends to them somehow.
    • Welcome Squad

Rent and promarkers
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)

Mine seems to be:

Just over 50% goes on rent and all our bills and I'm hoping to be harder on myself and save 20% every month, the rest is clothes and other things.
    You could cut down on travel and food, if you go teetotal on a night out that makes a difference and if you take your own lunch that would help. I spend about £6 a week on lunches for four days, I take crisps, a cereal bar and 50p noddles, much better than when i used to buy £3 tesco meal deals every day.

ReputationRep:
    Rent
    Commuting
    League of Legends skins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    if you go teetotal on a night out that makes a difference
    Yeah, a difference to your level of fun

ReputationRep:
    The answer would be rent if my parents didn't pay it directly.

Clothes.
    Eating/drinking out and clubbing.
    Food for when I eat at home.
    Wine.

In my first year I used to spend a lot on taxis (and more on wine), but my parents cut my monthly allowance by 300, thinking I was wasting money in clubs, so now I've reduced that somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Probably holidays. I usually only have one a year but they don't come cheap. Last 2 were to Japan and New York.

ReputationRep:
    Monday to Friday spend £20 tops on lunches and what not, then the weekend comes and I manage to bankrupt myself in 2 days ( usually nights out ). Currently live at home and trying to save around £8/900 p/m but proving very hard since I get so bored at weekends if I don't.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Alcohol.
    I tried saying it this simply myself, but felt the need to explain my poor life decisions
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Excluding all the necessities like bills, food shopping etc - probably candles :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rum Ham)
    Excluding all the necessities like bills, food shopping etc - probably candles :teehee:
    You sound like my flatmate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Running - races, shoes, a watch, weekends away (because for some strange reason it's cheaper to spend the extra night in a hotel than it is to come home on a Sunday) and other running kit.
    Food
    Bills

ReputationRep:
    After my rent, other bills and food and drink, the rest mostly goes into a savings part of my account and I'll occasionally treat myself to new clothes.

My rent is the most expensive and I pay my gas and electricity bill combined, quarterly and it very rarely exceeds the £100 mark in total.

ReputationRep:
    The big food shop, mainly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.