Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So today I had my first trainign day at the entertainer. I didn't like it all at! I thought I will like it as it's a toy shop but I just didn't enjoy it..
    I also got a job offer from Superdrug
    Now the problem is, the entertainer shop is 20 min by bus from my house, the superdrug shop is 1 hour. Both are Christmas temp contracts
    Ughhhh, my parents are telling me stay with entertainer, as it's close to home and it's temporary anyway, but I am not enjoying it

ALSO, if I call entertainer to drop out, will there be any issues? today was my first day training day

WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE (I am on a gap year)

ReputationRep:
    You should be on a probationary period for the first 3 months. That means you can leave or they can get rid of you. Those 3 months are like a taster to see if they job is for you and vice versa. If you don't like it and you aren't in desperate need for a job right now, don't do it. Maybe try find somewhere else that is close and you will enjoy
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by dfg4)
    So today I had my first trainign day at the entertainer. I didn't like it all at! I thought I will like it as it's a toy shop but I just didn't enjoy it..
    I also got a job offer from Superdrug
    Now the problem is, the entertainer shop is 20 min by bus from my house, the superdrug shop is 1 hour. Both are Christmas temp contracts
    Ughhhh, my parents are telling me stay with entertainer, as it's close to home and it's temporary anyway, but I am not enjoying it

ALSO, if I call entertainer to drop out, will there be any issues? today was my first day training day

WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE (I am on a gap year)
    I cant gauge how much you dislike it.
    How do you know you will enjoy superdrug any more plus you have an extra 40 mins each way to think about.

The only thing I have noticed about Entertainer is that they ask for a lot of interaction from the staff i.e you have to join in to sell toys. It should be quite good fun over Christmas as well as busy which means things will go fast. Go and look at superdrug and compare the atmosphere, then make a choice.

My tendency would be to stick it out. If id had two offers then I would have waited till I had the other to avoid the situation. I would stick it out for a good while, find out how long you have to accept and then make a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I cant gauge how much you dislike it.
    How do you know you will enjoy superdrug any more plus you have an extra 40 mins each way to think about.

The only thing I have noticed about Entertainer is that they ask for a lot of interaction from the staff i.e you have to join in to sell toys. It should be quite good fun over Christmas as well as busy which means things will go fast. Go and look at superdrug and compare the atmosphere, then make a choice.

My tendency would be to stick it out. If id had two offers then I would have waited till I had the other to avoid the situation. I would stick it out for a good while, find out how long you have to accept and then make a choice.
    I thought superdrug may be more relaxing
    Like entertainer is super busy and everything.. and I'm not good with communicating with kids... do you have any tips? I didn't feel comfortable because of this and felt like everyone is looking down upon me and customers may not like me
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by dfg4)
    I thought superdrug may be more relaxing
    Like entertainer is super busy and everything.. and I'm not good with communicating with kids... do you have any tips? I didn't feel comfortable because of this and felt like everyone is looking down upon me and customers may not like me
    Youare too self conscious. Its going to eb challenging but retail is a service industry and you will need to deal with customers, thats what they pay you for. Its a time to practice these skills and gain confidence. they must have seen something in you as you got the job.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.