Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get a reduced offer at university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    Is your hypothesis not conflating two issues, does your premises actually indicate the academic rigour of each institution?
    Nope. We're talking about admissions. Easy universities are those that are easy to get into, in both relative and absolute terms. Look at the context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Nope. We're talking about admissions. Easy universities are those that are easy to get into, in both relative and absolute terms. Look at the context.
    Correct me (which I am sure yo will) if I am wrong, but you are speaking in the US context of admissions acceptance rates correct?

If so they are an apples to oranges comparison, contextually, statistically and culturally...

Easy is subjective and is dependent on certain criteria... and in the end is meaningless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    Correct me (which I am sure yo will) if I am wrong, but you are speaking in the US context of admissions acceptance rates correct?

If so they are an apples to oranges comparison, contextually, statistically and culturally...
    Nope. Lots of assumptions being made here.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Lots of assumptions being made here.
    Ok... I have a few minutes.. and quasi-interest... please enlighten us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    Ok... I have a few minutes.. and quasi-interest... please enlighten us.
    You're so kind to allow me a right of audience!

Unfortunately, I've got more pressing matters on my mind. Next Sunday, it'll be. Ta ta

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately, I've got more pressing matters on my mind. Next Sunday, it'll be. Ta ta
    Completely understand... we will have to wait until next Sunday for your words and pearls of wisdom... until next Sunday...

ReputationRep:

So busy it took you 1 minute to respond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    So busy it took you 1 minute to respond.
    I've got TSR open in a tab while I work. Standard practice. Then again, that doesn't mean that I have the time to engage in a multi-page debate on anything.

ReputationRep:
    Not all of them do, sorry. The easier ones do. The reason why I'm calling them 'easy' is because, once you move past the top five or so, the offer rates skyrocket to something at or above 70%. Hell, even Durham has a 60% offer rate. That's easy.

A "lack of educational opportunities" maps near-perfectly into poverty (at least in the way in which it is defined nowadays, which is relative). You're saying the same thing with different words.
    Cambridge probably won't make a contextual offer. But they will take it into consideration to whether they give out an offer or not. Same with the top 5 for most respectable subjects e.g . Imperial for engineering.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Cambridge probably won't make a contextual offer. But they will take it into consideration to whether they give out an offer or not. Same with the top 5 for most respectable subjects e.g . Imperial for engineering.
    (Original post by Itssbeckie)
    How do you get reduced offers from universities?
    Not all of them do, sorry. The easier ones do.
    Thanks for agreeing with me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.