Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you date an asexual person? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely date an asexual person! I am not completely sure what my sexuality is, but to me sex and romance are very separate things. my current partner loves sex and I'm happy to have it with him, it's pretty fun, but if he didn't want it I would be just as happy, it's not something I need at all. I don't think he would want a relationship without sex though, in fact he told me if I had told him I was asexual before we were dating he would never have asked me out, so I guess it's different for everyone. (I thought I might be asexual at the time but I hadn't told him, good thing too as he clearly hadn't realised that some asexual people still enjoy sex!)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No. The idea of never having sex again or just getting it occasionally would drive me mad. If I met a girl like that, I'd rather we were friends. Tbh, I don't see why an asexual person would be interested in someone with a normal sex drive, doesn't that risk things becoming complicated later on? Better to play it safe and go with another fellow asexual or someone with a low sex drive.

ReputationRep:
    Lmfao... christ no. Life is too short for that ****....

Nope. Sounds shallow and awful, but having been in a sexless long-term relationship, I couldn't be in a sexless relationship again. It did me harm, and I'm not sure how long it'll take me to recover- if I ever will.

As someone who identifies as aromatic, I don’t know if I would. I can’t really see if a relationship would work with someone who is asexual but romantic and another who is aromatic but sexual. I fully respect asexuals though considering asexuality and aromanticism are often spoken about together but I don’t know if it could work for me

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      I'm a little unsure on this. I'm heterosexual but since I started on the pill a couple of years ago, I noticed a drop in my sex drive. I still feel ~the feelings~ but only like once every 2-3 weeks, if that. When I met my boyfriend and we were physically together, the presence of him made my sex drive return to normal, but because we are long-distance, I'm just not that interested in being sexual more than once or twice a month. This is why I'm unsure, because I'm not a very sexual person. I'm happy to go without being sexual for a month, yet I still have that desire for it so I'm not sure if I could be with someone asexual, because I would still want some occasionally.
      I came off of the pill for this reason. Some types (in particular Yasmin and the like that they prescribe for acne sufferers) suppress testosterone, and thus no sex drive.

(Original post by EllieCeeJay)
      As an asexual woman in a relationship with someone who identifies as heterosexual (who is also a man), I'm in a pretty good position compared to a lot of the other people in the asexual community.

I'm interested in whether any of you would date asexual people, and if not, why not? Would you be interested in a relationship with one further down the line? Is sex an important part of a relationship for you? Would you be comfortable never having sex in a romantic relationship, or waiting a long time to do so, especially as a teenager? What about if you were married?

If you are also asexual, would you ever date a sexual person? Again, why/why not? Do you think you could find someone who would be willing to accommodate you and what you need and don't want from a relationship?

Please take the time to read up on what asexuality is if you're not sure - just to eliminate any preconceptions you might have: http://www.asexuality.org/?q=overview.html

I really would appreciate it if you aren't dismissive of asexuality and other asexual spectrum identities - it is a real thing. There may not be many of us, but we do exist. Also, I'm not here to answer personal questions about my relationship, and if I do have sex or not. That isn't important, and frankly, it's my own business, not yours.
      No I wouldn’t, sex is important to me and it’s important for me to be with someone who finds me sexually attractive.

As an asexual woman in a relationship with someone who identifies as heterosexual (who is also a man), I'm in a pretty good position compared to a lot of the other people in the asexual community.

I'm interested in whether any of you would date asexual people, and if not, why not? Would you be interested in a relationship with one further down the line? Is sex an important part of a relationship for you? Would you be comfortable never having sex in a romantic relationship, or waiting a long time to do so, especially as a teenager? What about if you were married?

If you are also asexual, would you ever date a sexual person? Again, why/why not? Do you think you could find someone who would be willing to accommodate you and what you need and don't want from a relationship?

Please take the time to read up on what asexuality is if you're not sure - just to eliminate any preconceptions you might have: http://www.asexuality.org/?q=overview.html

I really would appreciate it if you aren't dismissive of asexuality and other asexual spectrum identities - it is a real thing. There may not be many of us, but we do exist. Also, I'm not here to answer personal questions about my relationship, and if I do have sex or not. That isn't important, and frankly, it's my own business, not yours.
      I wouldn't. I don't believe in it. I think it's stupid personally. I wouldn't want to be in a 'relationship' without having sex. If you are asexual, how on earth do you feel love to have a relationship in the first place. I think it's a way of pick and choosing what you want

ReputationRep:
      As someone who identifies as aromatic, I don’t know if I would. I can’t really see if a relationship would work with someone who is asexual but romantic and another who is aromatic but sexual. I fully respect asexuals though considering asexuality and aromanticism are often spoken about together but I don’t know if it could work for me
      Could you explain aromanticism? I have never heard of it before and would be interested to learn

(Original post by del1rious)
      Could you explain aromanticism? I have never heard of it before and would be interested to learn
      Yeah of course! In all honesty I’m still trying to work out where on the asexual and aromatic scales I am (considering I can’t really separate my feelings, or lack thereof, into romantic and sexual, it’s a bit confusing!)

Aromanticism is when you don’t feel romantic attraction to others, compared to asexuality being when you don’t feel sexual attraction to others. An aromantic person can want to be in a sexual relationship, but perhaps aren’t looking for all the romance associated with it. Romantic actions and sexual attraction actions confuse me a bit honestly so I suppose I don’t have the best knowledge myself!

For me, I identify as aromantic because I don’t feel this “magic” or “sparks” for either gender, so I don’t get crushes. I can get “squishes” (the platonic equivalent) but I don’t find anyone particularly attractive or special that I’d want to magically date. The thing is, if someone wanted to go out with me, I’d have a go, because I would want to make people happy if I could, but I can’t reciprocate the same magical feelings, even if I can be nice and romantic. I suppose what I’m trying to say is romance doesn’t come naturally to me? I’m not sure, but that’s what I’m trying to figure out!

There are loads of websites online that give better definitions than I can so I’d encourage you to check those out if you are interested!

ReputationRep:
      Yeah of course! In all honesty I’m still trying to work out where on the asexual and aromatic scales I am (considering I can’t really separate my feelings, or lack thereof, into romantic and sexual, it’s a bit confusing!)

Aromanticism is when you don’t feel romantic attraction to others, compared to asexuality being when you don’t feel sexual attraction to others. An aromantic person can want to be in a sexual relationship, but perhaps aren’t looking for all the romance associated with it. Romantic actions and sexual attraction actions confuse me a bit honestly so I suppose I don’t have the best knowledge myself!

For me, I identify as aromantic because I don’t feel this “magic” or “sparks” for either gender, so I don’t get crushes. I can get “squishes” (the platonic equivalent) but I don’t find anyone particularly attractive or special that I’d want to magically date. The thing is, if someone wanted to go out with me, I’d have a go, because I would want to make people happy if I could, but I can’t reciprocate the same magical feelings, even if I can be nice and romantic. I suppose what I’m trying to say is romance doesn’t come naturally to me? I’m not sure, but that’s what I’m trying to figure out!

There are loads of websites online that give better definitions than I can so I’d encourage you to check those out if you are interested!
      Thank you, you explained it pretty well!

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't. I feel sex helps bring you closer to your partner and creates more intimacy.

ReputationRep:
      I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does your partner feel about it? If he's heterosexual, I'm assuming he experiences feelings of sexual desire? Do you do things other than sex to satisfy those needs, or is he happy to just go without?

A friend of mine dated someone asexual. She told him he could look elsewhere and be intimate with other people if he felt the need. He didn't though. I think he felt that whilst she meant well by saying it, she still might get hurt by it.

I couldn't date someone asexual. Physical intimacy in a relationship is important to me.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.