Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are unchecked immigration and a welfare state compatible? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I find it curious that there are some people who on the one hand will rally against any criticism or restriction upon immigration, yet on the other hand demand a very extensive welfare state. It seems many on the Labour front bench are of that view.

I think immigration is generally a good thing, but if I was the PM I would know that I would need to thoroughly scrutinise it if I also wanted a more extensive welfare state.

Views?

ReputationRep:
    I do think it's only a matter of time before Universal Basic Income is put forward in a serious political party's manifesto here in the UK. One of the stumbling blocks would have been the EU Freedom of Movement policy but as we're to leave the EU then at least that won't stand in the way.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    bump
    You're bumping this thread because no one has replied to what has to be a completely stupid argument. There's no hypocrisy here as you seem to be implying.

Immigration isn't unchecked, the fact that there's a large amount of it doesn't mean it's "unchecked". Also, immigrants in the country have a net positive contribution to this country's fiscal position (Give more in taxes than take out as benefits). Ironically, this also means the surplus could warrant a more extensive.

Unfortunately, facts don't care about whatever xenophobic narrative you're trying to push. You've tried to assume that immigrants are somehow dependent on the welfare state and are putting a strain on it when it's actually the opposite.

And to any posters considering giving this idiot a reply, don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    You're bumping this thread because no one has replied to what has to be a completely stupid argument. There's no hypocrisy here as you seem to be implying.

Immigration isn't unchecked, the fact that there's a large amount of it doesn't mean it's "unchecked". Also, immigrants in the country have a net positive contribution to this country's fiscal position (Give more in taxes than take out as benefits). Ironically, this also means the surplus could warrant a more extensive.

Unfortunately, facts don't care about whatever xenophobic narrative you're trying to push. You've tried to assume that immigrants are somehow dependent on the welfare state and are putting a strain on it when it's actually the opposite.

And to any posters considering giving this idiot a reply, don't bother.
    You have misunderstood the question and as a result resorted to insults. The question is clearly in relation to a hypothetical scenario, i.e. an unchecked immigration system that some people advocate/defend as opposed to what is in place at present, which could be described as to an extent "checked".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    You have misunderstood the question and as a result resorted to insults. The question is clearly in relation to a hypothetical scenario, i.e. an unchecked immigration system that some people advocate/defend as opposed to what is in place at present, which could be described as to an extent "checked".
    Those who support unchecked immigration make up a tiny tiny proportion of the people who support a liberal immigration policy. They're negligible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.