Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am choosing to go for an apprenticeship after year 11 and I am currently applying for jobs

What I need to know is,

1. Do I have to apply for college as well as applying for an apprenticeship job and if so what do I apply under for example (part time?)

2. I also wanted to know when shall I apply for my college

Thank you for any replies 👍
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1) your thinking of doing apprenticeship you don’t need to choose college. When you apply for a job if they feel like you need to have specific training they will take care of it and decide what college you can attend to get that degree.

2)you should be looking at different colleges as they have open days. Recommend going to them as they can really help you get a feel of where you will be spending your time for the next two years. After visiting them, if you want to do it then just apply it’s easier. Different colleges have different deadlines so keep an eye out for them

ReputationRep:
    So I don't have to apply for college if I get an apprenticeship job only If they think I need to go.Am I reading this right?

ReputationRep:
    yes so if you have an apprenticeship you don't need to apply to college however you need to consider that you may not be given an apprenticeship job, applying to college gives you a back up. you have to do one or the other til you're 18

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goni_311)
    So I don't have to apply for college if I get an apprenticeship job only If they think I need to go.Am I reading this right?
    Yeah you got it.
    But I would recommend you applying just in case you don’t get the job. Plus, as a guide counsellor I always recommend everyone to do their alevels as it opens more opportunities
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Goni_311)
    No. If you get an apprentice role, you WILL do some form of learning, either at a college, or at work.

You don't get to decide that, that's dictated by the apprenticeship you apply for. They will decide what the most suitable course is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.