Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Normal approximation continuity correction question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A random variable X has a binomial distribution with parameters n = 40 and p = 0.3. Use a suitable approximation to calculate P(X=15)

Name:  67809E16-08F2-432A-BC9C-9D052D9D4D7A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  27.0 KB

Where am I going wrong? I literally cannot see anything wrong with what I’ve done therefore I think I must be doing it wrong altogether. If anyone could help explain it would be appreciated.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _RobbieL_)
    A random variable X has a binomial distribution with parameters n = 40 and p = 0.3. Use a suitable approximation to calculate P(X=15)

Name:  67809E16-08F2-432A-BC9C-9D052D9D4D7A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  27.0 KB

Where am I going wrong? I literally cannot see anything wrong with what I’ve done therefore I think I must be doing it wrong altogether. If anyone could help explain it would be appreciated.
    Your area calculation at the end is wrong. Think about what two areas you are subtracting in your calculation and think about if that would actually give you the shaded region. Please post your thoughts if you're still unusre.

By the way, you should have been able to see that your answer can't be right - with 40 trials it's unlikely that you will get exactly 15 successes (you may have realised this without checking the answer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Your area calculation at the end is wrong. Think about what two areas you are subtracting in your calculation and think about if that would actually give you the shaded region. Please post your thoughts if you're still unusre.

By the way, you should have been able to see that your answer can't be right - with 40 trials it's unlikely that you will get exactly 15 successes (you may have realised this without checking the answer).
    I realise now that my region calculation was wrong.

Shouldn’t it be P(Z<1.208) - P(Z<0.863)?

I just did this and got an answer of 0.0805, but the actual answer is 0.0808. Where else am I going wrong?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I realise now that my region calculation was wrong.

Shouldn’t it be P(Z<1.208) - P(Z<0.863)?

I just did this and got an answer of 0.0805, but the actual answer is 0.0808. Where else am I going wrong?
    How are you working this out? Using tables or your calculator or another method? Your answer is pretty close to the given answer so it might not be worth worrying.

ReputationRep:
    How are you working this out? Using tables or your calculator or another method? Your answer is pretty close to the given answer so it might not be worth worrying.
    Using the standardised normal distribution tables.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Using the standardised normal distribution tables.
    Can you please post a link to the tables you are using and tell us the exam board you are doing?

ReputationRep:
    Can you please post a link to the tables you are using and tell us the exam board you are doing?
    OCR S2, I’m away from my desk now but you should be able to easily look up the OCR formula book online if you want to, or wait until I encourage myself enough to go back to working lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    OCR S2, I’m away from my desk now but you should be able to easily look up the OCR formula book online if you want to, or wait until I encourage myself enough to go back to working lol
    I get the same answer as you using your tables. Was this a textbook answer or mark scheme answer for an exam question?

I've forgotten how much of a pain it is to use these tables

ReputationRep:
    I get the same answer as you using your tables. Was this a textbook answer or mark scheme answer?

I've forgotten how much of a pain it is to use these tables
    This was a textbook answer so there’s a chance it could be wrong. I’ve got all the questions in this section wrong though so I feel as though I am missing something in my method

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.