Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got a 9 in GCSE English lit AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says. I got 155/160 overall (AQA) and studied love and relationships poetry, jekyll and hyde, macbeth and an inspector calls.

ReputationRep:
    How do you dissect information from a text that inherently relates to the Question being asked? I personally can never seem to find enough information relating to the question and end up going off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    Cool??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Large)
    How do you dissect information from a text that inherently relates to the Question being asked? I personally can never seem to find enough information relating to the question and end up going off-topic.
    Well, when analyzing the extract I'm given in an exam question I first find the deeper meaning of the quote given and identify the language technique and how that impacts the reader etc. When discussing a deeper meaning of a certain phrase or word relating it to themes or contextual factors leaves you room for lots of waffling and marks for AO3 and AO1. Going off topic a little bit is okay in GCSE as long as you end all of your paragraphs linking back to the question - does this apply to any text in particular or everything you study at gcse?

ReputationRep:
    What exam bourd?
    im in year 10 and i also really want a grade 9
    How did you get it?

ReputationRep:
    No one gives a toss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyPoppadom)
    As the title says. I got 155/160 overall (AQA) and studied love and relationships poetry, jekyll and hyde, macbeth and an inspector calls.
    If you studied love and relationships poetry, Why did you do J&H and macbeth? aRENT they part of power and conflict?

ReputationRep:
    Right then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyPoppadom)
    Well, when analyzing the extract I'm given in an exam question I first find the deeper meaning of the quote given and identify the language technique and how that impacts the reader etc. When discussing a deeper meaning of a certain phrase or word relating it to themes or contextual factors leaves you room for lots of waffling and marks for AO3 and AO1. Going off topic a little bit is okay in GCSE as long as you end all of your paragraphs linking back to the question - does this apply to any text in particular or everything you study at gcse?
    I can analyse some texts better than others, but usually whenever I'm writing in an exam I always struggle to find 'enough' sufficient information to make a sustained answer to the question I'm trying to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Did you cheat?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What modern novel and 18th Century novel did you study? I'm studying Jane Eyre and Never let me go- literally no one else is studying NLMG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabby33)
    If you studied love and relationships poetry, Why did you do J&H and macbeth? aRENT they part of power and conflict?
    No, I am almost certain that the poetry does not correlate with the texts you study at gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitype)
    No one gives a toss.
    okeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquidconfidence)
    Did you cheat?
    sadly not, pretty hard to cheat in english tho tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Large)
    I can analyse some texts better than others, but usually whenever I'm writing in an exam I always struggle to find 'enough' sufficient information to make a sustained answer to the question I'm trying to answer.
    Do you have an example of any of the questions? Maybe then I can help you better?

ReputationRep:
    well done on your grade! what did you get in english lang out of curiosity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faeeza.Ifti)
    What modern novel and 18th Century novel did you study? I'm studying Jane Eyre and Never let me go- literally no one else is studying NLMG.
    18th Century novel was Jekyll and Hyde and we did An Inspector Calls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imthegenius)
    What exam bourd?
    im in year 10 and i also really want a grade 9
    How did you get it?
    AQA. I put a lot of emphasis on context when writing my exam answers and themes because that sort of stuff enables you to write an answer that resembles what's expected at a level standard. Ensure you know quotes that fit into every theme highlighted in the poem/novel/play. Find various critical analysis essays online (I did that for Jekyll and Hyde) and develop ideas from there. As long as you have good ideas, the quality of your writing doesn't have to be impeccable - it's your ideas that matter the most

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking for praise then none gives a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    If you are looking for praise then none gives a ****
    I'm not that's why it's an AMA???????? Trying to help people I used many AMA's during my gcses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.