Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking I should have chosen the arts over the sciences ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I love science and have always been into it yadi yadi yah - you know, the nerdy kid?

Now that I'm in year 13, I finally applied to a course in physics - seemed fitting given how long I've loved science. The thing is, I am fairly good at physics and without bragging I have good grades in it and whatnot, but I *Feel* as if I am better at writing.

There is this tiny part of me that regrets not doing what I'm "best" at, and going down the route of using words and all things wonderful. I've won speech writing competitions, I write stories and people always tell me how good they are ... stuff like that. I just want to know that there probably wasn't much of career in that (unless one is exceptional(ly lucky!!)), right?

I'm not much of a reader because I'm slightly dyslexic which is why I couldn't hack the idea of doing English A-level. What if in some parallel universe I had chosen Double English, Geography and Maths instead (as opposed to the classic Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry)?

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it’s finding that balance between what you are good at and what you enjoy. I’m sure you enjoy both English and Sciences but as long as you are doing something you enjoy, you are doing the right thing.

I personally hate when people tell me this (for background: I’m doing double maths and physics at A Level but I have a huge passion for art and would like to think I’m pretty good at it) but you can always do writing in your free time. You don’t NEED a degree to make money off your stories or anything, although if you decide you want to further down the road, with the money, you could always go back and do that English A Level and degree if you truly decided Physics wasn’t for you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Rekt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    Hey everyone,

I love science and have always been into it yadi yadi yah - you know, the nerdy kid?

Now that I'm in year 13, I finally applied to a course in physics - seemed fitting given how long I've loved science. The thing is, I am fairly good at physics and without bragging I have good grades in it and whatnot, but I *Feel* as if I am better at writing.

There is this tiny part of me that regrets not doing what I'm "best" at, and going down the route of using words and all things wonderful. I've won speech writing competitions, I write stories and people always tell me how good they are ... stuff like that. I just want to know that there probably wasn't much of career in that (unless one is exceptional(ly lucky!!)), right?

I'm not much of a reader because I'm slightly dyslexic which is why I couldn't hack the idea of doing English A-level. What if in some parallel universe I had chosen Double English, Geography and Maths instead (as opposed to the classic Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry)?
    You could write articles surrounding parts of physics you enjoy, there are also books about physics etc...

You're still young and have a bright future if you continue working hard, there surely must be opportunity for you to use physics in writing like how I stated above .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    You could write articles surrounding parts of physics you enjoy, there are also books about physics etc...

You're still young and have a bright future if you continue working hard, there surely must be opportunity for you to transfer physics into writing like how I stated above .
    That would be useful if I want to be an academic - which I do - and that's all well and good but if someone offered me a life of being an author ... you know what? I think I'd take it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    That would be useful if I want to be an academic - which I do - and that's all well and good but if someone offered me a life of being an author ... you know what? I think I'd take it!
    You could even do something like blogs, youtube etc.. writing about anything alongside studying physics

ReputationRep:
    Stick with sciences - they'll get you employment. Believe me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.