Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to flirt with an older man Watch

Has anyone got any tips for flirting with older men? This one is particularly awkward and nerdy and I don't think he has any idea how attractive he is. I also can't tell if he's gay.
    I try and hold eye contact but often he looks away. He doesn't seem the seedy type which is almost a shame because I want him to flirt back.
    Anyone got any tips? (And no he isn't a teacher, it's all legal)
    And how do I subtly find out if he's married/gay? He doesn't wear a ring but a lot of men don't. I'd just be surprised if he hasn't been snapped up.

ReputationRep:
    Home wrecker
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Has anyone got any tips for flirting with older men? This one is particularly awkward and nerdy and I don't think he has any idea how attractive he is. I also can't tell if he's gay.
    I try and hold eye contact but often he looks away. He doesn't seem the seedy type which is almost a shame because I want him to flirt back.
    And how do I subtly find out if he's married/gay? He doesn't wear a ring but a lot of men don't. I'd just be surprised if he hasn't been snapped up.
    Puerile as it is, I can't help being put in mind of this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquidconfidence)
    Home wrecker
    I'm sorry, how is she a homewrecker? OP stated he isn't married.

To wager if he's gay, hm...I honestly think the only way to find out without outright asking is to ask about his past relationships? Just in a roundabout sort of way. Like, when I fancied this guy and I wanted to know if he was in a relationship, I was chatting to him about a holiday I went on, and I said, "oh it's amazing, you should take your girlfriend there". And then if he has a girlfriend, he'd agree, and if he didn't, he'd probably correct you. Things like that.

And well I know flirting is exciting and stuff but if he's not showing any signs of flirting back I would hold back for at first. Wait until you've built up a bit of a stronger relationship, done things together. I think it's important you show him that you're mature as he's an older man. Don't go on about getting really wasted at the weekend in a club because he might write you off as young and immature. When I was talking to this guy, I'd always make sure our discussions were open and honest. I think the tendency would be to try and act way more experienced and outrageous to seem more mature but being adult is being able to carry interesting conversations and to embrace your past.

ReputationRep:
    ask him old people's stuff like " who is your favorite Beatle ?" in a flirty way ? idk

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanderwoodsen)
    I'm sorry, how is she a homewrecker? OP stated he isn't married.

To wager if he's gay, hm...I honestly think the only way to find out without outright asking is to ask about his past relationships? Just in a roundabout sort of way. Like, when I fancied this guy and I wanted to know if he was in a relationship, I was chatting to him about a holiday I went on, and I said, "oh it's amazing, you should take your girlfriend there". And then if he has a girlfriend, he'd agree, and if he didn't, he'd probably correct you. Things like that.

And well I know flirting is exciting and stuff but if he's not showing any signs of flirting back I would hold back for at first. Wait until you've built up a bit of a stronger relationship, done things together. I think it's important you show him that you're mature as he's an older man. Don't go on about getting really wasted at the weekend in a club because he might write you off as young and immature. When I was talking to this guy, I'd always make sure our discussions were open and honest. I think the tendency would be to try and act way more experienced and outrageous to seem more mature but being adult is being able to carry interesting conversations and to embrace your past.
    I didn't read all of that but Op clearly stated that she's trying to 'subtly' find out if he is married, or gay

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read all of that but Op clearly stated that she's trying to 'subtly' find out if he is married, or gay
    Your...point being? A homewrecker disrupts a relationship. OP wants to find out if this man is in a relationship, presumably, so that she knows whether to try flirting or not.

ReputationRep:
    Your...point being? A homewrecker disrupts a relationship. OP wants to find out if this man is in a relationship, presumably, so that she knows whether to try flirting or not.
    Exactly what I said, in the original post, Op said she is 'subtly' trying to find out if he is married, or gay.

The fact that she needs to try and investigate this instead of just simply asking him is ridiculous to begin with

ReputationRep:
    leave him alone, he's looking away from you lol

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I said, in the original post, Op said she is 'subtly' trying to find out if he is married, or gay.

The fact that she needs to try and investigate this instead of just simply asking him is ridiculous to begin with
    You have misunderstood the meaning of the word 'homewrecker'.

ReputationRep:
    You have misunderstood the meaning of the word 'homewrecker'.
    And you, have misunderstood the meaning of the word 'inference'.

ReputationRep:
    The Tories have plenty of men who seek relationships with younger women, so perhaps they can offer advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hello, like you said finding out if he is even available is a good start ,once the path cleared the balls in your court. i wish you had mentioned how old he was ,.and what you thought the age gap was makes a big difference. maybe you can put up that info or message me privately whatever you prefer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.