New School Regrets? Watch

This discussion is closed.
CharleeB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Ive started a new school for my Alevels. Ive been there 3 days and I hate it compared to my old one. They are too strict, despite the fact that its the sixth form.

Is anyone else having regrets? Do they go away? How long should you give a school before you decide you hate it?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by CharleeB)
How long should you give a school before you decide you hate it?
In your case I'd say about 2 years.
ice_topaz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ive started a new school for my Alevels. Ive been there 3 days and I hate it compared to my old one. They are too strict, despite the fact that its the sixth form.

Is anyone else having regrets? Do they go away? How long should you give a school before you decide you hate it?
Did you hate your last school? Oh, and what subjects are you doing?
CharleeB
Rep:
?
They have rules for everything! At my old school we could do what we want, call teachers by first names etc. Here they are on about their 'formal atmostphere' which makes it feel like a jail.

Im taking chem, bio, maths, eng + physics. I love my subjects, but this school is over the top with discipline!
ice_topaz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They have rules for everything! At my old school we could do what we want, call teachers by first names etc. Here they are on about their 'formal atmostphere' which makes it feel like a jail.

Im taking chem, bio, maths, eng + physics. I love my subjects, but this school is over the top with discipline!
try not to let it get to you.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I regret deciding to do Economics
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

doesn't sound that over teh top to me, it sounds like your old school was particularly lax.

I would stick it out because i've always found that teachers that instill more discipline are better in the end. you'll respect them more for it and they'll respect you in return. Keep at it because i think it will be worth it!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by allisandro)
doesn't sound that over teh top to me, it sounds like your old school was particularly lax.

I would stick it out because i've always found that teachers that instill more discipline are better in the end. you'll respect them more for it and they'll respect you in return. Keep at it because i think it will be worth it!
I agree totally with that post. Unless you find yourself being unreasonably punished for really silly things, or that your grades are declining, the teachers are crap, people are horrible, then only should you start thinking about moving out.

I've always been to really strict schools and it's all right in the end.
priya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you were allowed to call teachers by their first name at secondary school? seems a bit odd- in 6th form maybe, but the majority of 15/16 yr olds would never be allowed to do this all the time. having a few rules here and there isn't gonna do any harm, just go with the flow, like other people have said, as long as you are doing to the best of your ability in the school, and you are making friends, there's no reason for you to leave.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Rebel. Get sympathetic students to follow your cause. Protest your case outside the headteachers office, keep it peaceful but annoying. Its your right to say what you think. It's what I'd do. I'm a strong believer in standing up for my own opinions and beliefs. That's why I was elected head boy at my 6th form. I got results through campaigning and protests. You're a 6th form student, not a year 7 fuzzyburger. Fight for your rights to be treated like the young adult you are!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

:cool:
The Great One!
Report 14 years ago
I transferred from a comprehensive school to a Grammar school to complete my A-Levels...

I found integrating with existing students difficult, but not impossible...

I was their just a week, when i decided i wanted to do my A-levels elsewhere, however, i kept the faith and achieved AAB

Yes, there will always be groups who are just too cool to associate with a new student... but you must realise that the school environment should be disciplined... after all it's the schools responsibility to see as many students off to third level education as possible...

I found the discipline procedures in my first school much too draconian - with dententions and suspensions commonplace. The students in the grammar school had a much different mentality with regard to work and what they wanted to achieve, therefore the need for discipline was almost redundant (except for on a few).

The experience of moving schools has made me a much stronger person and a person more suited to university life, after all how many people can say that they went to an institution for 2 years knowing nobody?

Its only 2 years, then you're away again...take my advice... work hard, keep the faith and reap the benefits!
SugarPlum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hate my school. I've not made any new friends (i mean, there's ppl i chat to but i dont feel close to anyone) and it just sucks.
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Its an all girls catholic grammar school. Its way too religous, which i didnt take into account when i applied, and they have petty rules, (or what seems petty to me anyway). The fact is that what other people are used to/ find totally normal isnt the same as what I'm used to. All schools are different, its a matter of taste.

So no one else thinks that they made the wrong decision switching schools?
ThePants999
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Personally I reckon the whole idea of doing A-levels in schools is just wrong. There's a big change from GCSEs to A-levels. You stop being pupils and start being students. But no matter how hard schools try to come to terms with that (and they usually don't), they just can't get over their "school" mentality. The atmosphere at sixth form and FE colleges is so much better.
CharleeB
Rep:
?
I had the chance to go to another college, i wish i had now. its too late to switch.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads