Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am deciding between Kings and Leeds as one of my university choices. I have not visited either departments, so I will highly appreciate it if anyone can answer the following questions: Which of the two universities offer more quantitative computer science modules? Which of the two universities has a stronger department overall? I am also a bit skeptical about putting down Kings as I've heard stories about the course being too easy, is this true? Any answers will be highly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I study comp sci with maths at QMUL, I cant say I know of either departments at Leeds or Kings, but I do know the difference between comp sci and comp sci with maths. What ive seen so far is that the computing modules which I do are the same as the ones that my comp sci colleagues are doing, but the computing modules I dont study are replaced with maths modules, so I dont think the content of the modules themselves will change, rather which modules you do entirely. So just because Leeds offers comp sci and maths doesnt necessarily mean that the mathematics of the comp sci modules will differ from Kings, but they are different unis so theres bound to be differences in teaching anyways. Though you should ask Leeds if the comp sci modules differ in each course just to make sure.

Also if you've the modules at Kings are easy, that doesnt mean the course will be bad, it means you have more time to spend on enhancing what you learn and building computing skills through independent study. Personally ive not heard anything to suggest that Kings has a bad rep, but maybe do a little research into the module descriptions on their website? I think they have those. Hope ive helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raze123)
    Hi,

I am deciding between Kings and Leeds as one of my university choices. I have not visited either departments, so I will highly appreciate it if anyone can answer the following questions: Which of the two universities offer more quantitative computer science modules? Which of the two universities has a stronger department overall? I am also a bit skeptical about putting down Kings as I've heard stories about the course being too easy, is this true? Any answers will be highly appreciated
    Hi,

So have you decided which one you want to choose out of the two?
    Is Kings even good for Comp Sci? What's wrong with it being easy?

I too am also in a bit of a pickle as to whether to choose King's College London as a choice and University of Leeds.

May I ask which other universities you have thought about applying to?

ReputationRep:
    It all boils down to what modules you want to study, where you want to live. pretty sure no course at a top uni is easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e49877)
    Hi,

So have you decided which one you want to choose out of the two?
    Is Kings even good for Comp Sci? What's wrong with it being easy?

I too am also in a bit of a pickle as to whether to choose King's College London as a choice and University of Leeds.

May I ask which other universities you have thought about applying to?
    Yo, in no particular order, I'm considering: UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Leeds, Kings, Birmingham and Exeter. I need to decide soon! I'm also probably going to choose leeds over kings, since I can select modules from the maths department.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.