Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you voted to leave the EU, Don't bother wearing the poppy... Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a8043711.html

What do you think and fair arguments please.

ReputationRep:
    I think The Independent is trash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I think The Independent is trash.
    same tbfh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory0007)
    I believe many people fought in the war to keep our sovereignty and freedom and i don't believe the EU holds up these values, this article is so ****ing stupid
    Can you explain how being a member of the EU removes Parliamentary sovereignty and personal freedoms? You will also need to show how leaving the EU will increase these.
    Your answers will have to apply to the majority of ordinary working people rather than just a select elite.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    When you try to re-claim the use of the term 'Generation Snowflake' but end up sounding like one anyway.

As an ardent Remainer who actually holds EU nationality (it's sad that I even need to put my credentials forward), I'm pretty sure that the situation vis-a-vis Europe (and war) has changed since the time when it was thought that closer trading ties would help avoid another German-French conflict. Sure, the EU was founded, 70 years ago, as part of a plan to avoid war. It has contributed, along with wider macroeconomic and geopolitical changes, to maintaining that peace.

However, the author fails to prove that leaving the EU, now, in 2017, is likely to increase the risk of war, or that the referendum result was indeed a decision motivated by militarism, colonial ambition, or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    It is a plastic flower and even that has to have something to do with Brexit...

ReputationRep:
    Trash paper puts out trash arguments. Whodathunk it.

ReputationRep:
    so 52% of the electorate must not wear the poppy, got it, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Sure, the EU was founded, 70 years ago, as part of a plan to avoid peace.
    did you mean that ? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    It is a plastic flower and even that has to have something to do with Brexit...
    only the middle bit & the stem are plastic; the petals are thick paper.

ReputationRep:
    I love that they are trying to dictate how people behave, think and feel, and then talk about the tyranny that we fought during the war - this level of control and manipulation is probably why a lot of people chose to leave. The EU is a very flawed and self-serving body and Europe is about more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    did you mean that ? :afraid:
    lol

corrected!

ReputationRep:
    The Independent is basically the Express in reverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JVoorhees)
    The Independent is basically the Express in reverse.
    so each winter the Indie says " it's going to be barbecue weather this Christmas... get your bikinis on ladies"

ReputationRep:
    The Independent is full of left-wing ********.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    so each winter the Indie says " it's going to be barbecue weather this Christmas... get your bikinis on ladies"

I mean in terms of pro/anti EU stance. The Guardian looks like a haven of balance in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    The Independent used to be a quality paper.

ReputationRep:
    The Independent has a wonderful crossword.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I use the Independent to wipe my bottom most days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)

However, the author fails to prove that leaving the EU, now, in 2017, is likely to increase the risk of war...
    With all the talk about NATO breaking up and Russia expanding its influence in Europe is it so difficult to imagine a scenario in which states are pitted against each other?

Germany is seriously considering such eventualities in its recent policy document, Strategic Perspective 2040:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ope-we-are-too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.