Egg or Sperm donation Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I feel the same as Helena on this, I could not and would not ever donate my eggs {not even to a close friend or relative} because regardless of who carries that egg after fertilization, it is and always will be my child, and there is no way I could live with that.
Similar reasoning could be used with adoption. What is your stance on adoption then?
Infinity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Similar reasoning could be used with adoption. What is your stance on adoption then?
I'm speaking on a strickly personal level here. As the original poster had asked if anyone had donated or thought about donating.......
(Original post by randdom)
After watching the channel four news I have been thinking about egg donation. I was wondering if anybody else had thought about this or done it? Does the fact that they are thinking about allowing children to trace their parents effect your decision? Do you think that it would be worth doing?
As for my stance on adoption ... I personally would not give any child of mine up for adoption, but that does not mean that I am against adoption. It's just not something I could do, for the same reasons that I would never donate my eggs.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's just no doubt people would say they'd adopt/foster but use your point with egg transplants on the basis of "because regardless of who carries that egg after fertilization, it is and always will be my child, and there is no way I could live with that".

I suspected you were using points on a personal level

BTW it won't just be your child, you're forgetting that fertilisation takes two people in the biological sense
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I also don't think that everyone has a divine right to biological children, which is controversial, I know.
I totally agree with you there. I often wonder about these "wonder" babies, when parents spend a fortune on loads of IVF (or have it paid for by us) and eventually concieve - what if the child grows up to be a dissapointment?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A girl in my school was a 'wonder baby' and she's always topped her class since she started school. However, she has to bear with the lable "test tube baby" wherever she goes. Everyone just attributes her cleverness to being a test tube baby, which is quite mean!
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I feel the same as Helena on this, I could not and would not ever donate my eggs {not even to a close friend or relative} because regardless of who carries that egg after fertilization, it is and always will be my child, and there is no way I could live with that.
This is probably the reason that I feel that I would make a good egg doner. I personally feel that the parent of a child is the person who carries the child and raises it not the person whose genetic information they consist of. If 18 years later a child turns up on my doorstep and wants to get to know me. I would do that out of interest but I don't think that I would consider them to be my child because I didn't carry them or raise them. If it was a situation where I had carried them then put them up for adoption then that for me would be different then I would probably feel that they were my child. I don't think I would ever be a surrgot mother for somebody I didn't know only for people I knew well and only if it wasn't my egg.

I think it is really just a personal choice about what people think makes a parent.

Oh and in response to an earlier post I give blood, carry a doner card and I am going to put myself on the bone marrow register soon.
thephenom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Neither.

This planet is over populated as it is. If you can't have children, adopt, because there are thousands of children out there without any parents.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thephenom)
Neither.

This planet is over populated as it is. If you can't have children, adopt, because there are thousands of children out there without any parents.
I dont think its as simple as that. Their are women all over the world who are desperate to be pregnant and actually have children adn I dont thin tht they should be denied that right, if science can help them fulfil that wish then let it.
(And this is from someone who cant have children and will adopt.)
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thephenom)
Neither.

Thanks to China, India and various Catholic regions of the world mainly yes. In Europe we're declining overall I believe.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Thanks to China, India and various Catholic regions of the world mainly yes. In Europe we're declining overall I believe.
Yup we have a birth rate below 2.1 which means that the population is predicted to crash.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I dont think its as simple as that. Their are women all over the world who are desperate to be pregnant and actually have children adn I dont thin tht they should be denied that right, if science can help them fulfil that wish then let it.
(And this is from someone who cant have children and will adopt.)
Your absolutly right, I mean people definatley should consider adoption, as I stated before there are many unwanted babies born every day. However even though I myself would never donate my eggs, I'm glad there are people out there who are willing and able to do so. There is no substitute for carrying and giving birth to a child. Being pregnant was one of the greatest feelings in the world for me, well most of the time, lol, I bonded with my daughter before she was even born, and while the birthing itself could have have gone alot better I still would not give that experience up for anything. So I can understand how someone would rather go the IVF route rather than adopting.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Yup we have a birth rate below 2.1 which means that the population is predicted to crash.
Yes... we're nearing the point where we are no longer replacing the dead people in this country. Sweden has already passed that point. The government is so worried about it that theyre considering paying people to have children!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, and our population is getting progressively older and fertility is decreasing due to various (not completely understood) reasons. I understand why people would want to do IVF with their own eggs and stuff, but somehow carrying and giving birth to a baby that is not even biologically yours just so that you can go through the pregnancy experience, doesn't make as much sense.

It's partly a selfish thing, I know. Plus in the UK you can't be paid for egg donation; the general arrangement is that the recipients arrange for the donor to have IVF done either for free or for a reduced price (so for example if they'd been sterilised but their ovaries are still functioning, they could have babies too). If I were in that situation, which I won't be because I'm not going to get sterilised, then I might consider it. But I see no benefit in doing it otherwise, and having a GA procedure is not without its risks (admittedly small but still present).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads