Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What a levels are needed to become an investment banker?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably say along the more traditional subjects - Maths/ chemistry / physics/ further maths / history / economics
    however, the univeristy matters more. investment bankers target higher univerisities such as oxbridge/ imperial/ lse. But you can still get into it within other schools, there's just less of a chance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TEABAG03)
    What a levels are needed to become an
    investment banker?
    What kind of question is this lmao

Just pick whatever the subjects you enjoy and are good at and maybe once you've actually got to uni start thinking about jobs? Lmoa why does everyone want to be an investment banker after doing their GCSEs now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TEABAG03)
    What a levels are needed to become an investment banker?
    No specific a-levels will give you a advantage, investment banks take people with any degree subject(whether that be history, physics, finance etc no advantage of any one over the other), the things that matter are

1. You get a summer internship and perform well in it (and ideally spring week to but not so important), pretty much all graduate scheme offers from investment banks are given to those who have completed a summer internship in IB
    2. go to as good a uni as you can (so target unis, preference to oxbridge)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminoff)
    What kind of question is this lmao

Just pick whatever the subjects you enjoy and are good at and maybe once you've actually got to uni start thinking about jobs? Lmoa why does everyone want to be an investment banker after doing their GCSEs now?
    Thats stupid (though I dont see why so many people want to do IB either even if the money is amazing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Thats stupid (though I dont see why so many people want to do IB either even if the money is amazing)
    you are saying good pay isnt a good enough reason to pursue a certain job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesgillian123)
    you are saying good pay isnt a good enough reason to pursue a certain job?
    meh not for me, I just have different prioritises (also a lot of people who say they want to do IB (at least who are GCSE level) don't understand how hard a 70 - 90 hour work week every week is, and how little of a life you get outside of it). You work ridiculous hours in IB and I have other things I want to purse along side my career (within my 20s and early 30s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    meh not for me, I just have different prioritises (also a lot of people who say they want to do IB (at least who are GCSE level) don't understand how hard a 70 - 90 hour work week is and how little of a life you get outside of it). You work ridiculous hours in IB and I have other things I want to purse along side my career (within my 20s and early 30s)
    so its not for you personally because you have other goals yet you "dont see why so many people wnat do to IB" - some people are willing to eliminate other parts of their life for higher pay and thats a perfectly reasonable reason, if someone realises that at gcse and wants to pursue it anyway whats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesgillian123)
    so its not for you personally because you have other goals yet you "dont see why so many people wnat do to IB" - some people are willing to eliminate other parts of their life for higher pay and thats a perfectly reasonable reason, if someone realises that at gcse and wants to pursue it anyway whats the problem?
    I never said it was a problem? (in fact I told the op the general path to get into IB)

high pay isn't likely enough to get you through the job if you hate it anyway (at least I assume so, everyone I know personally who works in IB enjoys it as a job and said they couldnt do the long hours if they didnt)

I don't think a 15 year old can know what they are giving up, a lot of 15 year olds haven't really experience life yet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.