Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ADHD - My experiences, Work, Study, Stimulants, Motivation etc. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have suffered from ADHD-I for much of my life and just wanted to share some of my experiences, what has worked for me and what hasn't worked. I have tried just about every ADHD medication out there i.e. several class B controlled substances, most days for the best part of a decade. Please, please note these are my personal experiences only, so anyone with ADHD, do not assume you will experience the same and do not take any of this as medical fact or advice.

To most people, taking a class-B drug daily will seem crazy, but I am a highly functioning adult: I'm 23, I've got a degree, a career, a mortgage and a decent car. Just clarifying that I don't just pop these and get a high, they are therapeutic doses, not recreational :-)

Finding the right routines and diet has been a big factor, but what I want to talk about is my experiences of the various medications as this has been a long road in finding the right med/combo/dosage. I just wanted to emphasise to those with ADHD that it can take a while and lots of trial and error to get it right, so don't be too disheartened if something doesn't work:

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) - Instant-Release med. lasts about 3-4 hours. Gives extremely good concentration while active - I can focus on a task 100% - keeps me alert, sharp and motivated to get things done. I do not have the problem of procrastination while on this. It is jittery, like a strong cup of coffee and a slight comedown

Concerta - Extended release version of Ritalin. Lasts most of the day. Leads to good concentration but not as good as the short release version, as I found it even more jittery which makes it hard to concentrate.

Dexamfetamine sulfate - For me, this is the Rolls Royce of ADHD meds. It has all the benefits of Ritalin, but it is much smoother. Getting through daily life is smooth, just like riding through the day in a rolls Royce. I process information quicker, I am attentive, alert, sharp. I get tasks done, I am focussed and interactions are easier. This is also acting for about 3-4 hours.

Vyvanse - Long acting version of the above (12 hours). This is also very smooth and has pretty much the same benefits as above but not quite as strong. Only problem is you have to take this early in the morning or you will likely not sleep that night.

Guanfacine - This is a newer ADHD med. It is a non-stim and not as good as the above, but I found works very well when combined with a stim.

Strattera - Also a non-stim med. Similar to Guanfacine but not quite as effective in my opinion.

Modafinil - Not an ADHD med but I have tried it. It's an odd med for me. It increases wakefulness and alertness but does not seem to give the enhance mental capabilities that the above seem to.

The meds are also much more effective with a good diet, exercise and plenty of sleep. Without these, the benefits can be almost zero.

I hope that helps anyone who maybe diagnosed with ADHD and is disheartened with meds not working etc. Any questions, I am happy to answer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.