Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco christmas advert features Muslims celebrating it. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    As a Pagan I'm offended that the Christians appropriated my religious festival.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    If atheists can celebrate it then why can't Muslims?
    Pagan? 😥
    Anyway I was gonna say what these two said: Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday lol it's (are you ready?) a cash cow for businesses. That's literally it. Everything about Christmas is unfortunately non Christian 😇 but I won't get into that further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Pagan? 😥
    Anyway I was gonna say what these two said: Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday lol it's (are you ready?) a cash cow for businesses. That's literally it. Everything about Christmas is unfortunately non Christian 😇 but I won't get into that further.
    I'm an atheist really but yeah, lol. It's a good excuse to eat and drink a lot though and visit family.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist really but yeah, lol. It's a good excuse to eat and drink a lot though and visit family.
    I'm a

Spoiler:
    Show

Struggling

Christian 🙏😙 and yea I wish I had the energy/care to debate Christmas/Christianity on tsr lol

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** do we need an excuse for enjoying ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    No it’s completely different to the Eid scenario. It’s like Christians in a Muslim country celebrating eid. The uk is a typically Christian country. People adapt to the place they live. Christmas is a fun time that brings people together. What’s the problem with it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    And Santa isn’t even part of the Christian religion so I would hardly agree that Christmas belongs to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A'OK)
    You mean the hijab wasn't a big enough give away lol?
    You don't have to be Muslim to decide to wear a hijab.

I celebrate Christmas. I am not a Christian. Not all brown people are Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of strict Muslims don't celebrate it, but some of the more relaxed ones do (like some of my family members). Why not feature them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by closethedoor)
    And Santa isn’t even part of the Christian religion so I would hardly agree that Christmas belongs to them
    He's actually derived from a Christian saint but I agree that anyone who wants to participate should be welcome. It a cultural thing rather than religious for most Brits(myself included) these days anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

The religious wackos who are so outraged should consult the "do unto others" part of the Bible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Why the **** do we need an excuse for enjoying ourselves.
    Ha ha, true. We can't gorge like that all the time though or we'd all be in an early grave from diabetes and liver failure.

ReputationRep:
    Political correctness is a mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    The differance between muslims celerbrating Christmas and unbelievers is that unbelievers don't belong to a religion that actively discourages Christmas being celebrated. Muslim scholars on the other hand, say that muslims must not celebrate Christmas or holidays of non-muslims. Therefore tesco are not only upsetting non muslims, they are upsetting muslims themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karanight)
    The differance between muslims celerbrating Christmas and unbelievers is that unbelievers don't belong to a religion that actively discourages Christmas being celebrated. Muslim scholars on the other hand, say that muslims must not celebrate Christmas or holidays of non-muslims. Therefore tesco are not only upsetting non muslims, they are upsetting muslims themselves
    So basically Tesco has upset the lunatic brotherhood of the far-right and fundamentalist Muslims. Well played.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed hijab-wearing women are becoming increasingly common in the media, especially in adverts. I suppose it's an attempt to present Islam in a more positive light.

The thing is, I don't believe Islam will ever be viewed as an endearing import in this country. I certainly don't see Islam shaking off its association with modern-day death and destruction anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    Such a non issue. Majority of Muslims I personally know celebrate Christmas, as do my family :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    lol who cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    So basically Tesco has upset the lunatic brotherhood of the far-right and fundamentalist Muslims. Well played.
    tesco have offended people of all political leanings. I've just got back from a night at the pub and out everyone that was there, only one felt that Tesco did no wrong. Why the hell include the 'faith' in what is essentially a Christian celebration. As for Christmas being pagan is another argument altogether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A'OK)
    It's caused some controversy as people know Muslims don't celebrate christmas so why feature Muslims? It's like featuring Christians celebrating Eid... So stupid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8046396.html
    It’s nothing like Christians celebrating Eid. Christmas is as much a cultural celebration as it is a religious one now. It’s so funny how people moan that foreign populations don’t culturally assimilate then criticise the idea of it happening

ReputationRep:
    They're not celebrating it as a religious festival. They're just enjoying the pigs in blankets and a right old piss-up.

ReputationRep:
    Atheists celebrate Christmas. Why shouldn't anyone else?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.