Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco christmas advert features Muslims celebrating it. Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    If that is so, why was Zoroastrianism viciously suppressed by Islam and why is Zarathustra nor mentioned in the Quran?

Seriously, it is somewhat glib to just claim that any early religion that were used in the creation of Islam was actually Islam by another name and different practices!

And Arabian polytheism (which contributed several key elements of Islam) cannot in any way to be claimed to be" Islam by another name".
    The Holy Quran says messengers were sent to every people, so there were thousands of them, it would not be practical to list them all in the Quran.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    The Holy Quran says messengers were sent to every people, so there were thousands of them, it would not be practical to list them all in the Quran.
    But Zoroastrianism was the dominant religion in the Persian region for 1000 years until the advent of Islam. Seems a bit of an mistake not to mention it or its prophet, considering that performing ablutions before 5 daily prayers was borrowed from it.

Also, why do you think that only the messengers sent to the Middle East managed to get the message anywhere near what Allah intended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A'OK)
    It's caused some controversy as people know Muslims don't celebrate christmas so why feature Muslims? It's like featuring Christians celebrating Eid... So stupid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8046396.html

Why shouldn't they? Jesus is a major prophet in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Pre Brexit and Trump we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Now the ugly racists have crawled out from their rocks because Brexit and Trump have emboldened them and made them feel that their views have been legitimised. My Muslim friends swap Xmas cards with me and send Xmas gifts. They actually believe in Jesus btw (though as a prophet, not the 'son of god') Also nowhere in the bible does Jesus tell us to celebrate his birth. It's a pagan festival, not Christian. 🙄🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Why shouldn't they? Jesus is a major prophet in Islam.
    Muslims aren't even allowed to celebrate Muahmmad's birth. (Well, somewhat surprisingly there are actually different opinions on this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    There was a girl on my undergrad course from Malaysia, and she said that non-Muslims used to celebrate Ramadan all the time by speeding and going through red lights because the police were all fasting and really cba to chase anyone - although the risk was getting a Sikh policeman.
    I have a friend whos non muslim and he fasts occasionaly with us muslims during ramadan lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShootForTheStars)
    Pre Brexit and Trump we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Now the ugly racists have crawled out from their rocks because Brexit and Trump have emboldened them and made them feel that their views have been legitimised. My Muslim friends swap Xmas cards with me and send Xmas gifts. They actually believe in Jesus btw (though as a prophet, not the 'son of god' Also nowhere in the bible does Jesus tell us to celebrate his birth. It's a pagan festival, not Christian. 🙄🤔
    A bit simplistic. There are many Muslims who believe that it is a major sin to celebrate the festivals of other religions - even culturally.
    Also, it's not a "pagan festival". It is a Christian festival that hijacked elements of pagan festivals and a means of gaining acceptance. Much as Islam did with some of its religious rituals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Muslims aren't even allowed to celebrate Muahmmad's birth. (Well, somewhat surprisingly there are actually different opinions on this).
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    Wrong.
    Wrong that some Muslims believe that it is a sin to celebrate Muhammad's birthday, or wrong that there is a difference of opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Wrong that some Muslims believe that it is a sin to celebrate Muhammad's birthday, or wrong that there is a difference of opinion?
    You aren't "not allowed" to celebrate it, some sects believe it is a religious innovation as the Caliphs didn't celebrate it, so it shouldn't be "celebrated" as a religious affair. You can commemorate it as a personal thing.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't "not allowed" to celebrate it, some sects believe it is a religious innovation
    Exactly. Bidah (innovation) is a sin. Therefore it is "not allowed".
    Unless you are claiming that sins are allowed in Islam? Good luck with that!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone asked Tesco if the actually sell Halal Turkey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Exactly. Bidah (innovation) is a major sin. Therefore it is "not allowed".
    Unless you are claiming that bidah is allowed in Islam? Good luck with that!
    There are two types of Bidah. Using a loudspeaker to propel the Imam's voice is also an innovation, but clearly allowed.

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of Bidah. Using a loudspeaker to propel the Imam's voice is also an innovation, but clearly allowed.
    Yes, but any innovation that adds anything to the religion, that is not mentioned in the Quran or sunnah is prohibited bidah. Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

As I said, there are differing opinions on the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karanight)
    The differance between muslims celerbrating Christmas and unbelievers is that unbelievers don't belong to a religion that actively discourages Christmas being celebrated. Muslim scholars on the other hand, say that muslims must not celebrate Christmas or holidays of non-muslims. Therefore tesco are not only upsetting non muslims, they are upsetting muslims themselves
    im not upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Yes, but any innovation that adds anything to the religion, that is not mentioned in the Quran or sunnah is prohibited bidah. Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

As I said, there are differing opinions on the issue.
    Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

You learn something new every day.

I never knew innovation was a sin in Islam. The argument is that virtually everything is an innovation compared to over 1,000 years ago in the middle east. Interested where muslims go with that. No i-phones, no selfies, no tv ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

You learn something new every day.

I never knew innovation was a sin in Islam. The argument is that virtually everything is an innovation compared to over 1,000 years ago in the middle east. Interested where muslims go with that. No i-phones, no selfies, no tv ...
    There are two types on innovation.
    Technological innovation that either does not affect Islam, or aids its dissemination is permitted - that inludes phones, TVs, transport, medicine, etc.
    Religious innovation - anything that adds anything the the practice or rules of Islam, is forbidden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    There are two types on innovation.
    Technological innovation that either does not affect Islam, or aids its dissemination is permitted - that inludes phones, TVs, transport, medicine, etc.
    Religious innovation - anything that adds anything the the practice or rules of Islam, is forbidden.

I see, thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.